Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nice/Florence/Sorrento/Vienna - Train and Car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
My daughters and I have decided we would like to travel to the four cities mentioned above for our second European trip. First time we went to London, Paris, Germany and Florence for which we took the train and flew intercity just once from Florence back to Paris to go home. We are thinking this time of flying into Nice for 4 days, possibly driving from Nice to Florence 4.5 hours (we want to do an overnight in Florence just to do jewelry shopping) and then continuing to train to Sorrento 4 days, then possibly night train to Vienna 4 days and go home from Vienna. Have been a fan of Rick Steve's guidebooks but I am a little worried about driving from Nice to Florence. Has anyone ever done it - is it a good idea or a waste of time and money. Rick Steve's tends to favor the train. Also, does anyone know if there is a train from Nice to Florence and also a night train or any train from Sorrento to Vienna? Have to start booking soon as we are going in June 2014. Would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 02:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It doesn't make sense to drive from Nice to Florence unless you are stopping places along the way. There's a big charge to drop a car off in a different country and the road is a series of tunnels.

Where are you starting from and how long do you have for the entire trip?
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM

I agree--train to Florence.

Vienna is a long long way---and nite trains are not much fun, if there even is one. I would consider Venice instead.

Or, fly from Nice to Naples[Sorrento], and then train north to Florence and wherever.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Besides the large drop off fee for returning car to a different country, the drive is largely inside of tunnels along the water.The views will be nothing more than a blink.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM

We do road trips all the time - but a rental doesn't seem to make sense for this trip for two reasons:

You're doing city to city, not touring the countryside which is what car travel is really for

The cost will include a probably very high drop off charge = not only from one country to another - but because companies don;t like cars dropped off in Italy due to the high rate of theft
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:29 AM

Fly with http://www.easyjet.com/en/ from Nice to Naples
take any train from Naples to Florence (journey time 2 1/2 to 3 hrs)
go by night train (Florence dp 22.09) to Vienna (ar 8.33)
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 02:26 PM

Vienna is a long long way---and nite trains are not much fun, if there even is one.>

there is one and it is one of the nicest night trains in Europe and it actually could be a fun adventure for you and your kids - get a private compartment, bring food and drink aboard and wake up in Vienna - some folks think night trains are terrible and that is there opinion but many others love them - for utilitarian reasons and the adventure - your kids may never have the possibility of doing a night train again - not sure how old your kids are but mine when young thought night trains were a real adventure.

For lots of great info on Italian trains and night trains in general check out these IMO superb sources: www.ricksteves.com (as you know!); www.seat61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Scour www.trenitalia.com for schedules and advance online discounts.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 04:42 AM

http://www.raildude.com/en/vienna-kl...-city/10063/92

discounted fares and full fares on the Florence to Vienna night train.