Newbie Again

Old May 7th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Again

Hi. Thanks for the help on my hostel situation. I have so much info to get before I go. So being that their is a huge difference from legal and illegal work, could somebody give me advise on how to go about getting illegal work.
How am I going to get a place and how much would typical rent be... Also... how much would 8,000 dollars be in Euros.
If I could get in contact with somebody willing to help me in Germany to get started, their will be a small amount of money involved for the help. I am loving everybodys help so far.
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:58 AM

$8000 US is about 6150 euros more or less.

I would think you would want to get a room in a hostel at first and then look around for sublet or short-term rental opportunities once you're there. If you search above there's lots of info on websites for hostels.

Since illegal work is just that (cash off the books) you are going to have to assume it's something like dishwashing etc. and the pay will be minute. Esp if your German isn;t strong you really have few other choices.

Suggest you check out thethorntree web site for info from others who have done this - and may have a list of local resources.
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:01 AM
rex

"thethorntree web site" presumable refers to www.lonelyplanet.com - - click on thorn tree once you get there.

And see your other post... click on your own name.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Even though my "dear" newphew was working under the table in London, I personally don't think it's right. It's the same for people working illegally in this country. I don't know how he did it, didn't ask, didn't care. I think that travling with his Australian friend who HAD a work permit, probably gave him an introduction to some people and, just like some employers in the US, they could pay him cheap, and in cash. So, me thinks ya's just gots to take your chances. Personally, I would scared to death of being discoverd and deported. But that's me, not you.
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Newbie,
I think you need to do a ton of research on this and see what you can possibly do that would not be breaking any laws. What fun is there in being in a place that you might be thrown out of? Especially far from home and alone.
Get on those travel boards and find out how others manage!
Also , does it have to be Germany?
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

advice appreciated. No it does not have to be Germany. I am open to a lot of different suggestions... wish I could meet someone with connections for me in Europe.
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM

This hostel in Utrecht offers free bed, meals, and Internet for working four hours per day:
http://www.hostelutrecht.nl/

Presumably it's legal, or they wouldn't be advertising it on the front page.
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:07 PM

newtravlincory,

Have you considered a year in school abroad? There is at least one college in Paris that has classes in English (American U in Paris) -- or you could study languages in an extended course. You'd be legal, you'd be living in Europe, and you'd make tons of contacts. Some folks who do this never come back to the US --

s
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM

OK, my son worked for Hostellin International in Seattle Wash. They told him he could work for them in hostels in other countries, if there were openings. Maybe you can look into something like that...otherwise, do what he did, get a job teaching English to kids in other countries..
Good luck!!
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Hostelling International

http://www.hihostels.com/openHome.do
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM

My neice is headed to Copenhagen for almost a year starting in August. It's a program through the Education Department at Sonoma State, and she's doing some kind of early childhood education study. They get lots of vacations and free time for travel. She has to learn Danish, a requirement for study, and will live with a Danish family so she can practice her language skills. If you don't like the study idea, and don't necessarily need Germany, she also went to London a couple of years ago..again through her college..it is a work program. The company is called Bunac..they have a website..they will arrange for your work papers and they have a center where there are job postings and also you can post for a room mate etc. to get housing. The program is for 6 months. Bunac doesn't set everything up for you but gives you the work papers and the access to other contacts to get yourself set up. She loved it. She was a receptionist in a hospital, and she and her friend found a two bedroom flat with two guys so they could afford it. The guys didn't have to work and traveled most of the time so basically the girls had half the rent paid and the flat to themselves most of the time. So, there are a lot of ways that you can manage to get to Europe and live for awhile.