New York Times Travel Archive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this has been posted before -- sorry if it is a duplication. Past Sunday travel articles can be found in a directory organized by place. See it at
http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/featu...ope/guide.html
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:40 PM

Since no one has taken the trouble to thank you for mentioning this interesting resource, please let me do so, even though I have been using the archive ever since it was put on line.

As far as I am aware, no one else has posted the information here.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, when I get a chance I'll hopscotch through the website. I didn't know about this website. Now, I can really get no work done here.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:45 PM

I use this often as well, being in NYC, and I read the Times online and the paper edition during the weekends. The travel section is a section that I usually read.

There're a couple of links to the archived articles in the Paris Superthread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34519236

Anyway, sometimes I find the Times articles a little biased or strange, when compared to what I read elsewhere (say in guidebooks or here), but as with anything else, more information is usually better.

The essay section in the print section is usually pretty interesting, but I don't know how you can get it online in the archives.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:49 PM

I'm not sure if it is the same, 111op, but I receive essay links in my weekly NY Times travel newsletter.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:52 PM

How do you sign up for the travel newsletter? (I probably shouldn't get on any more lists....)

But is there a way to access these articles through the archives though?

Anyway, here're some essays that've appeared recently, for those interested.

One on the Nissim Camondo museum in Paris:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34521608

One on getting lost in Venice:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34516406

In that thread, I included another link about a woman who dined alone in Madrid (one of my favorite essays from that section from recent months).
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:58 PM

111op: All the articles you mention are available in the NYT archive. For Nissim-Camondo, go to Destinations, then France, then Paris. The same procedure holds for the article about getting lost in Venice.

The only thing that I have found inconvenient is that articles about a certain place -- say, Paris -- are in chronological order, going backwards, rather than in any kind of thematic order. But now that I think about it, it seems to me that you can search the archive as well...

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks hopscotch. It looks like a valuable site and I've bookmarked it. It seems to be an easier way to get to their old articles than some of the other ways I've tried. Thank you for posting it.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:00 PM

Yes, Eloise, but then you'd have to know what you're looking for.

What I meant is that it'd be interesting to have an archived section of essays. The Times does this for some of the sections -- for example, the Vows section on Sundays. Some of the Metropolitan Diaries (Mondays) -- my favorites -- are also archived similarly.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:02 PM

Sigh. I know what you mean. Seems like I spend more time sorting through my in-box than anything else these days. Yet I can't stop signing up for newsletters that interest me (plus then I don't have to remember to go read it on the "right" days.) It won't give you anything you're not already reading online, but if you create a member name and password (free), you can choose different emails to receive. So once a week I receive the travel section and also the book reviews (plus my daily dose of news, sports and entertainment!) And I agree -- the essays are generally very interesting.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:05 PM

I'll have to look for that -- thanks. Somehow I'm set up to receive stuff related to shopping and discounts and some weekly digest that has articles from the Home section and restaurant reviews. I guess my true self and superficiality are showing.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:05 PM

Forgot add my thanks to hopscotch as well. Though I use my newsletter links regularly, I've never gone in search of the main archive. Great info - thanks!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:09 PM

111op -- I still get those as well, and I don't even live in NY anymore! I think my hope is that one day there will be a sale, discount or restaurant review so wonderful that I will just HAVE to fly back home that minute!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:17 PM

This is taking us too far afield, but I once went to a supposed sale of Alain Mikli glasses. When I arrived, the elevator wasn't working, so I couldn't go to the sale -- that was annoying because I tried to leave work early so that I could have half an hour to see the stuff.

So you're not missing much, jv827....

But well, maybe you need to come back to try out the new Per Se at the Time Warner building (the same chef as the one at Napa Valley's French Laundry). I think that I'll be finding the Gray Kunz cafe more affordable (supposedly "only" $65 per head) -- he cooked at Lespinasse, which I never tried. Per Se has been reviewed, I think (so has Masa, the high-end Japanese restaurant in the same building).

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:34 PM

Hopscotch, Many thanks. This is a really great site.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:40 PM

May I add a similar archive from a London paper ? http://travel.independent.co.uk/europe/eastern/

[email protected]
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 02:18 PM

hopscotch and Mr. Haines - thank you both for these sites. I'm always reading travel sections and it has paid off for me.