New Year's Eve-Vienna

Search

New Year's Eve-Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's Eve-Vienna

We wil be visiting Vienna with two 6-year olds, for the New Year. Can anyone recommend a restaurant suitable for children on New Year's Eve?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:59 AM

We spent New Years in Vienna two years ago and it was magical. A lot of restaurants have a fixed meal with one or two sittings and they advertise at the hotels. I would ask the front desk where you are staying to recommend depending on type of food and price. Otherwise, if you want to get into the spirit there are numerous street vendors selling all types of food items you won't go hungry. I would not miss the stroke of midnight on the Graben, thousands and thousands of people waltzing to the Blue Danube was truly memorable.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 02:52 PM

When we were in Vienna last New Year's we took a tram out to Heilegenstadt and had a marvelous meal at a place called, I believe, Engelhardt's. It is right next to a Heuriger name Mayer Am Pfarplatz. The restaurant overlooks Vienna and so at midnight you could view all of the many fireworks exploding over the city. The menu is a set one and a little on the expensive side but it was well worth the whole experience. They also bring out the traditional pig's head at midnight and give each customer a small cut of pork for luck. Remember, it will be COLD in schoen Wien at that time of year.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 04:07 PM

We did this trip for the millenium. We had several really good meals as places that I do not have the name of. On New Year's Eve we walked the streets and there are wonderful food venders and wine and champagne venders. I know this is not much help, but I want to caution you about going to St. Stephen's Platz around midnight. The crowds are very large and you can not move. I thought I was going to be crushed. There was a young child near us and I was afraid the child would get trampled upon. It was scary for about 10 minutes until the sea of humanity pushed us to a clearing. Anyway with young children it could be overwhelmimg. Other than that we brag about our Vienna New Years too much. Enjoy
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I agree with yipper. Stephansplatz was a madhouse even hours before midnight. Firecrackers were going off at random amongst the crowds with little regard for safety. We wandered down to the operahouse and watched part of Die Fledermaus on the big screen tv outside then went to the Augustinerkeller(where all were so very freindly to us) for a glass of wine before going to dinner in Heiligenstadt. When we came back through at about 1 a.m. the place looked like a war zone; broken bottles and garbage everywhere. The Austrians, though usually quite reserved, really let themselves go for New Year's. Amazingly, Stephansplatz was totally clean by 7 a.m. New Year's day.