New Year in Prague

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Graham Broadbent

New Year in Prague

My wife and I will be staying in Prague 27 Dec to 3 Jan. Any suggestions for New Year's Eve? We are in our fifties so don't want a disco, but we are not yet totally past it, so somewhere with a little life would be nice. Maybe with views or atmosphere that will be memorably Prague/Czech.
Any general recommendations for midde range restaurants would be welcome.
Thanks , Graham.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Julie

I would try to be on or near the old town square (near the astrological clock). There is a restaurant right across from it that would provide that for you but unfortunately I cannot remember the name. I believe Leslie Strauss will be able to supply that if she's reading through here. Near there the restaurant I would choose is the one in the Hotel Pariz, very art nouveau and good food and service. It's not on the square, however, so you'd have to walk a wee bit to get there in time for the clock to strike 12. A cute place, again not far from the square, is Rekjavik. A seafooder with a little more youthful clientele and more of a bar atmosphere than the hotel restaurant recommended above. Food is excellent but heavy with rich sauce--all the better to fortify you for the walk back to the square and the standing around until the midnight hour. Prague should be terrific for New Year. Lucky you.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 06:03 AM
mark

Check to see if there are any events at the Municipal House. There are 3 restaurants in the Municipal House - the Francouzska Resturant is an art nouveau treat and delicious food.

http://www.obecni-dum.cz/

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Christina

There have been a couple NY in Prague posts on here, one about the Opera Gala, in particular. YOu might want to search for that

IN that post, I recommended as an alternative to the main square festivities the NY Eve program at the Cafe Imperial. That is a wonderful old Prague cafe with a memorable atmosphere, it is very elegant (for a cafe) and known for it's jazz bands. They are having a special NY eve program with a Dixieland jazz band and dinner plus drink for only 1500 CK, it appears (about US$50). It's a short walk from the Namesti Republicky metro stop. That's where I'd go. Here is their web page (it's owned by the Hotel Imperial next door) with info and email for reservations, I think

http://www.hotelimperial.cz/cafe/cz/silvestr.html

It's not translated too well into English, if you need help, I might be able to -- most of it is clear, I think. St Sylvester is the name for NY eve in Prague (and France) which is why the page is headed Silvestrovské menu.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Christina

BTW, I suppose the restaurant Julie is referring to is the U Prince. YOu know, it's very late for NY eve reservations, so popular places like the Imperial Cafe and these other ideas may well be booked. ON the other hand, tourism is down somewhat in Prague due to the floods, so maybe you'll get lucky.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Grahaam

Julie, Mark, and Christina, thank you for your helpful suggestions. I am sure we will be checking them all out during our visit.Graham

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Val

I would like to endorse Christina's comments regarding Cafe Imperial. I was in Prague in October last year with my son and we came across the restaurant on a Saturday night. The Dixieland Jazz was just great and the food excellent and very reasonable. One of my memorable nights in Prague. I am keen to return, possibly Xmas 2003. Can anyone tell me what the hotel is like attached to the restaurant. Any info much appreciated.
Thanks.