NEW THREAD FOR 2 BEDROOMS IN PARIS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to start a new thread here for 2 bedroom in Paris. We are willing to pay a maximum of $425 US for a place that is wonderfully located and easy to get about. We have decided to go through vacationinparis.com because it seems very reputable as a lot of you attest to. These are the numbers I've been looking into - 189, 116, 22, 55, 164, 103 and 204.
Has anyone anything to say about these apartments? So far, this website has helped me immensely - a lot of knowledgeable people checking in! Thanks once again -
Micah
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM

Honestly, I would take any of those apts.

They are all well located, but, closer to the river is always better - check the maps.

They are also all priced according to the value you get: the ones closer to the river, and/or bigger, and/or more luxurious are priced higher.

Each of them has something unique to offer - what is the order of your priorities? Size? Location? Price? Furnishings?

Again, the hard part is over. You'll have a wonderful stay at any of these seven apartments.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM

Out of this group, I'd take #103 for location. I select more for location than what the apartment looks like. I personally like the area around the Museum D'Orsay. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM

Did you look at #210? I know it's a wee bit over your budget, but that one looks great. And #122, that I had, is right in front of the street that #210 is on. #122 is on rue St. Andres des Arts and the apartment is located right where the black circle is. #210 must be right next to Allard Bistro. This area is one and a half blocks from the beginning of the 5th. I'll definitely consider #210 for 2010 since I already have a place for spring 2009. Wish I'd seen it sooner. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Of the ones you specifically mention, definitely 116 and 164 - the locations are so central, and the apartments look great.

I'm going to give Guenmai the tiniest of nudges here, knowing that she is a font of great knowledge on this site, including for our recent trip. As much as I love the Buci/St. Andre des Arts area (hey, we stayed at Vacation In Paris #182 on Ancienne Comedie just last month, and of our 5 trips to Paris, we've stayed on or within a half-block of rue de Buci 4 times), it is not the center of the universe for everyone - just me and Guenmai

Anyway, all of the apartments look great - your budget makes getting a nice apartment easier, doesn't it? In thinking back to our most recent trip, we seemed to pass by or near the areas of #s 116 and 164 most days, so that would seem to make sense, and as mentioned, they both look fantastic. Hard to go wrong. Good luck.

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM

I didn't look at them all, but I think you do just have to decide for yourself what you want, as there isn't anything inherently wrong with any of them. They vary by location and size.

I personally don't like the area near the Orsay particularly at all, but a lot of these are extremely small for 2 BR apts unless they measure things differently in France. I can't even imagine a 2 BR apt less than 500 SF, which several of those are. I've seen studios in the US around that size and that is a good size for a studio, and small to avg 1 BR, but I can't even imagine a 2 BR 480 SF apt.

Maybe you don't care about that, I just noticed these are really expensive, around $400, at least in high season. I don't like no. 189 for location either (ave Bourdonnais), it's just right next to the park and not very near a metro, I wouldn't like that. Other parts of that avenue are closer to metros. no. 204 calls itself rue Cler but is on that same street and not far from no. 189.

I kind of like the ones around place Victoire (both 22 and 55, they are practically right next to each other on the same street), and the one near Pont Neuf has a balcony with a view which I might like and is about the largest I guess. I guess both no. 116 and 164 are near the river with views and pretty large, they look okay.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM

So when are you going to Paris and are all these apartments available? Good apartments do book up well ahead of time. If you check on the availability, it might make your decision for you.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM

How do you squeeze 2 bedrooms into 500 square feet?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Laughin2-I suggested #103, which is near the Museum D'Orsay. #210 got my attention due, yes, to the location, and also to the spaciousness of the apartment. I think it was the most spacious one. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Yes, I just looked and it's 135 square meters. Plenty of space. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM

here are my thoughts:

#22 - I love the 1st. I don't know where this specifically is, but I like the convenience of the 1st.
- sofa is next to tv, not conducive to watching tv
- bedroom with 2 beds is vvveeerrryyy small
- like the real table to sit at (we like to read the paper, laptop, etc, etc.)
- washing machine ?

#55 - again, I love the 1st.
- 2nd bedroom with pullout isn't desirable. What are the traveling partners ?
- kitchen area is smaller
- living room is small for 4 people - one will end up at bar or on the floor all the time
- does walking a floor of steps bother you ?
- looks bright with good lighting

#103 - I like this area a little less. but many like being around D'Orsay.
- non smoking is called out... is it called out in the other apartments ?
- do hardwood floors bother you ? (sometimes they get loud)
- table is small (2 person)
- couch is larger
- looks nice/clean, bright

#116 - nice view, great location
- balcony outside is nice, but not sure if practical ? (at the least, you can walk outside and check the weather)
- living room 'feels' smaller. not sure why.
- lighting isn't as good
- 2 double beds
- do all apartments have 2 baths ?
- seems to be significantly more expensive - not sure it is worth it?

#164 - great location
- wow! they have room in a bedroom for chairs ? (nice for lazy people to put clothes on : ) )
- more seating room - couch/loveseat + 2 chairs
- real dining table

#189 - not my first choice of location, but many love the 7th
- kitchen is very separate from living room
- feels much more 'formal' than the other apartments - is it your style ?
- nice touches since redone recently

#204 - do you want the 7th ?
- no children - is this a problem ?
- is bedroom #2 a daybed ?
- nice to open on a courtyard

For me, #204 and #189 would be my least desirable. I would probably choose #164 - I like the extra space in the living room and the open floor plan.

let us know!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

It looks like we're going to move up to a 3-bedroom - more space for everyone. #212 is available so I think that might be the one, have to confirm with the rest of the group tonight. It is $360 per night - does anyone have any thoughts about this area?Rue des Bernardins? Thanks everyone so much for your input - I'm anxious to get this part of our planning done and over with,.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM

We stayed in a hotel at 50 Rue des Bernardins (Residence Henri IV) and LOVED the neighborhood. Walking distance to so many wonderful places (tourist sites, cafes, neighborhood in general). A real working neighborhood. Fantastic markets (butcher, baker, not sure about the candlestick maker! around the corner. (Even the laundromat that I talked about on the "most memorable moments" thread is around the corner). I forget who you're traveling with, but we had our then 11 and 13-year old kids with us that time, and we all thought it was great.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM

The location is actually better than any of the previous ones (which were all also pretty good locations).

It's 1 block to Maubert Metro station, right on Blvd. St. Germaine, 1 block to river, 2 blocks to Ile de la Cite, 2 blocks to Ile St. Louis. I can't think of a more central location. Oh, and the neighborhood is great, too.

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Congratulations! You've done very well. I've been in that area a lot. You'll be very satisfied with the area. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Now we've gotten both you and Yellowrose squared away. Time for a rest. Smiles. Have a great trip. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU - YOU LITTLE SWEETIE PIES! You've done a good deed for someone today, and this affirmation makes me feel great. As my job is to be the 'finder' of an apt.on behalf of the 4 of us, I feel quite a responsibility!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Micah - Your apartment looks wonderful! Ours is just a tiny, little studio - but with just the 2 of us, we will manage just fine. I hope you have a wonderful time! Doesn't it feel great this decision made??