New TGV Service to St-Malo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard on France2 tonight that the SNCF is inaugurating TGV service from Paris to St-Malo tomorrow. This may be good news for folks wanting to get to le Mont-St-Michel, though I don't know what connections exist between St-Malo and le MSM. Anyway, it will take just over 3 hours and within a few years will be just over 2 hours. Real estate prices in the St-Malo area reportedly have already risen considerably and the area is braced for a heavy increase in tourism.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:33 AM

It doesn't seem any different much, as it appears just to be the same TGV line as the current one to Rennes, just that they are extending what they call the TGV part (but probably without any high-speed tracks, like they do in some other areas). The train always goes through and stops at Rennes, from the schedules I've seen.

I think the advantage is just that St Malo is a little closer to Mont St Michel than Rennes and this way, you won't have to transfer at Rennes to another bus or train, like before. I'm sure they must have buses from St Malo to MOnt St-Michel, or surely will get some now. I'm not sure of the distance, but you could take a taxi from there, I suppose (is it about 25-30 km?).
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Going to St Malo by TGV you don't have to worry about where to park!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:52 PM

It's a little over 50 km from Mont St. Michel to St. Malo. That's on the autoroute; going the scenic route thru Cancale would probably be longer. We went from MSM to St. Malo, but stopped in Cancale for lunch, so not sure how long it takes. I don't think I would want to take a taxi.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 02:32 AM

There are buses to Mont St Michel from the TGV stations at both Rennes and St-Malo. The schedules are on www.lescourriersbretons.com. The bus will drop you right at the Mont, much nearer than most car parks.