Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Side trip to Mont St.Michel & surrounding from Paris

Mar 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

I will be travelling in May in Paris for 6 days. Since have been Paris for a few times, I want to to a side trip to Mont St. Michel (without a car if possible). For 2 days/1 night, is that doable to add a nice surrounding town? If so, which one to pick? Should I overnight in MSM or other town instead? Thanks in advance
Mar 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Mt St Michel is not the easiest place to get to (train station is miles away) and getting from there to some place else you want to see is often not direct.

We combined Mt St Michel with a couple of days in Bayeaux to see the invasion beaches and the famous tapestry - but we did it by car. Not sure how viable this is by public transit.
Mar 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Bayeaux is a good base for seeing Mt St Michel and the famous tapestry. You will need a car to get to St Michel. With a car, I would definitely see some of the Normandy D Day sites. As an American visitor, I was totally impressed with the bravery and valor of our troops to liberate France. We enjoyed seeing the beaches through Battle Bus tours which leave from Bayeaux . It was well worth the money. The guides speak English and know their stuff. Have a wonderful trip.
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM

I have taken the bus to Mont St. Michelle - it is doable. I jumped on the bus from Rennes... on the way back I took a taxi to the nearest train station (only because I misunderstood when the last bus was scheduled to leave.

Paris to Rennes is just over 2hrs.
Rennes to the Mount is an hour and half.

Rennes is a nice city and it is a great transport hub to see the area. I think it would make a lovely over night stay.

You could also look into staying in St. Malo and day tripping to the Mount (there is a bus, but not as frequent as to Rennes - there is a near by town to the Mount though - the name escapes me, that has great train connections so a taxi from there is very easy).

I really loved St. Malo - there is a 3 hr train from Paris to St. Malo.

Mont St. Michelle is beautiful - a highlight of my last trip to France. I think it is worth the effort personally.

Don't be discouraged by public transport which is excellent in Brittany.

Naxos
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I should mention the bus from Rennes to Mont St. Michelle drops you off right in front of the rock -very conveinant. Any hotel on the Mount can ring you a taxi if you want to get to the train statin in town.....it wasn't too expensive if memory serves.
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Other great nearby towns easily accessible from Rennes by train and or bus include: Dinan, Vitre and Fougeres! Dinan would also make a nice overnight stay.

I'll stop now.

Naxos
Mar 6th, 2008, 04:53 AM
ira

HI A,

This is what Rick Steves says,

Between Mont St. Michel and Paris: There are three ways to get to or from Paris. Most take the regional bus from Mont St. Michel to Rennes (€10, not covered by railpass) and connect directly to the TGV (4/day, 4 hrs total from Mont St. Michel to Paris). You can also take the quick bus ride to Pontorson (see below) and catch one of a very few trains from there (2/day, 5.5 hrs, transfer in Caen or Rennes). In summer, you can take the SNCF bus to Villedieu les Poêles, and transfer there to the train to Paris' Gare Montparnasse (4/day, 4 hrs total, bus and train covered by railpass).

Between Mont St. Michel and Pontorson: The nearest train station to Mont St. Michel is five miles away, in Pontorson (calledPontorson–Mont St. Michel), connected by bus (12/day July–Aug, 6/day Sept–June, 15 min) or taxi (€15 by day, €22 at night and on weekends). The few trains that stop here are met by a bus waiting to take passengers to Mont St. Michel. The bus stop should be on the main street in front of the Pontorson station, on the same side of the street as the station; verify as you leave the station. Winter evening trains may not have a bus connection (call Couriers Bretons for bus information in this region — tel. 02 99 19 70 70). The bus drives right up to the entry gate of Mont St. Michel. Taxis from Pontorson to Mont St. Michel (or vice versa) cost about €15 (€22 after 19:00 and weekends/holidays, try to share a cab).

Also, there are trains from Pontorson to Bayeux, Caen and Rennes

Mar 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the information. I think Diana will be my choice. Wish I had more time for the area, since it's so nice.