Search

New herring?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Marty

New herring?

Where might I get some new herring that would be relatively close to Amsterdam's airport? I remember eating the whole herring, coated in onion, by holding it by the tail over my head and chewing up the fish. What a fantastic experience!!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:44 PM
Sjoerd

I believe you can get herring at the airport itself. If not, the train to Amsterdam Centraal Station only takes 18 minutes.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:57 AM
xxx

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Marty

Thank you Sjoerd. I recall having that herring on the waterfront. We were near fishing boats as I recall. Is this a place I can visit by train from the airport? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Sjoerd

Perhaps Scheveningen. (the place where Mr. Milosevic is jailed now) Train to Den Haag (the Hague) and tram to Scheveningen. <BR>Or Volendam. Not reachable by train. You need a bus from Amsterdam.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Tracy

Goedenavond Sjoerd, <BR> <BR>Question for you! I heard that there are 2 correct ways to eat herring, if you're snacking at a herring stand: either the 'deep throat' experience Marty is talking about - or - cutting it into bitesize pieces & then eating it with the fork provided. <BR> <BR>Are these the 2 'correct' ways? And how do you personally do that 'haring met uitjes' thing . . . ? <BR> <BR>Thanks! = )

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Sjoerd

Bonsoir to you too, Tracy! Most Dutch people eat herring by taking it by the tail. It is also perfectly acceptable to cut it in small pieces and eat it with a fork. Or eat it in a roll: een broodje haring. <BR>I personally like to eat herring by taking it by the tail, lifting it above my head, and slowly let it touch my tongue.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:05 PM
judith

I've had my share of herring in Amsterdam. What my Amsterdam-born husband and I do is buy it from a man in a truck. It comes filleted and wrapped in wax paper with lots of chopped opnions sprinkled over it. We take our parcels home and immediately make buttered toasts then lay the herrings on top of the toasts and, if needed, season with salt. Wonderful.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:38 AM
Tracy

Goedemorgen Sjoerd ;-) en dank jij wel! <BR> <BR>I guess my question is *how ladylike* is the 'taking it by the tail' way . . . will it be very amusing for my Dutch friends (and the man in the herring van) to watch me gobble it down?! <BR> <BR>And BTW let me just say that any country which idolises fish, cheese and ice skating (3 of my favorite things), along with down-to-earth efficiency, is so cool - had a nice stereotype-busting trip to NL earlier this year. <BR> <BR>All the best!

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know a place in or around NYC for a comparable quality herring? I haven't been able to find it. Many thanks.