Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nevsehir Airport-Are there drawbacks to using it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are debating whether or not to fly into Cappadocia via the Nevsehir Airport. Flights from Izmir and to Istanbul are much cheaper than those to/from Kayseri's airport but I've seen websites that suggest this airport caters only to charter flights. Turkish Airlines has flights into and out Nevsehir, perhaps it's been upgraded to take commercial flights? My concern is that we book our flights via TYR (we aren't going until the spring) only to find that the airline cancels due to a small number of passengers. Are my reservations founded in any fact? Has anyone used this airport? Any opinions on serve to and from? It is closer to the sites in that we plan to visit-another plus along with costs. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, if you used Nevsehir, did you rent a car there? If so, through whom? None of the major car rental companies seem to operate from there.

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM

adventuredays,

We are flying (via Turkish Airlines) from IST to Nevsehir in late October. I'll be interested in the replies to your post, too, but my impression is that it can handle commercial traffic (I hope so, anyway!). I'll post our experience when we get back in November. We're not renting a car there (at least we don't plan to as of now), so I can't help with that, but I think I've seen car rentals in my research. Have you checked turkeytravelplanner.com?

Ellen
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM

We've also booked our flights on Turkish Airlines to/from Nevsehir for next spring. Like you, I noticed that THY had the lowest fare classes available for Nevsehir but not for Kayseri. I'll keep an eye on our reservations for any changes, as I always do for any airline, but I'm not too concerned; this looks like a route that Turkish is operating regularly now.

Not sure yet if we will rent a car.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM

I flew into Kayseri and out of Nevsehir--for price as well as flight times. We had no trouble at all--we used hotel transfers (from Goreme) in both instances.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to ms_go and Ellen. You've given me the confidence to go ahead with these bookings. I'm still researching car rental options. The company that I sent an initial query to via turkeytravelplanner.com (Plus Car Rental)hasn't yet responded to my online request.

May I ask, do either of you plan to do any hiking during your stay in Cappadocia? Will you be using guides to ferry you around during your stay?

Thank you again for your contribution. I am so grateful!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry yorkshire! Thanks to you as well. I must have been drafting as you responded to my request. I'm wondering how you managed in Cappadocia without a car?

Many thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:33 AM

From Goreme, there are many accessible trails. Sadly, we only had three days there--I could have stayed a week. We walked to the museum the first day and wandered around a bit on one of the trails ringing Goreme. The next day, we walked from Goreme to Uchisar to Cavusin to Goreme, all on amazing trails. (I think from Uchisar to Cavusin was Love Valley--my favorite. We did part of Red Valley--don't miss it.) The third day, we hired a driver from our hotel (Kelebek). He stopped a few places on the way and then dropped us at the Ihlara Valley and picked us up at the other end. A highlight! So, it can be done, but it depends on your time frame, what you want to see/do, etc. The tourist infrastructure in Goreme is just fantastic--for hiring guides, drivers, etc. You are in for treat!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM

adventuredays, we definitely plan to do some hiking (we love hiking!), although we haven't really firmed up our plans yet as far as what we will do, guide/no guide, etc. At this point, we've just book air. Our trip is not until end of March/early April. We will only have three days in Cappadocia, as our total trip is just nine days (spring break from school).
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM

I'm not sure if we'll hike. Unfortunately, we only have 3 1/2 days there. I want to see the open air museum as well as at least one of the underground cities. We're staying in Urgup and so far the owners of the hotel have been wonderful in corresponding with me, so I imagine they'll help us with suggestions. Yorkshire, I'm going to look at the sites in your post - I can't wait and will definitely post when we return in November.

Ellen
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Ellen, may I ask where you are staying in Urgup? I look forward to reading your trip report as well.

ms-go, we will have three full days in the Cappadocia region as well, after a week on the coast. I would love to be able to do the Ihlara and Rose Valleys. We will finish up the trip with five days in Istanbul. I can hardly wait!

Still searching out rental car options from Nevsehir. It shoudn't be this difficult!

Thank you again!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 04:01 AM

adventuredays,

Your itinerary sounds similar to ours; 4 nights in Urgup, about 4 days on the coast and 5 in Istanbul. We're staying at the Melekler Evi Cave Hotel: http://www.meleklerevi.com.tr/. We were able to choose our room, "Cennet" which looks beautiful. They've arranged a shuttle to meet us at the airport for 15TL per person.

Ellen
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Have you checked out Argeus Travel Agency in Cappadocia? Here's the page from turkeytravelplanner.com. I don't know anything about them except they seem to come highly rated from what I've read. Is this the one you referred to in your earlier post that you haven't heard from yet?

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/t...eus/index.html

Ellen
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ellen! I am drafting an email to them this afternoon. I tried to find major American or European companies but had no luck in finding any that serve Nevsehir. I'll post what I learn in the event that other posters or searchers are keen to know.

To Yorkshire, we are staying in Urgup so I don't believe we will have the option to explore without a car, or a driver. I assume that arrangements must be made for hiking Ihlara Valley unless one is keen to double back. I appreciate your comments on the hikes from Goreme-I can't wait!

All the best!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:25 AM

Adventuredays,

When you make your hotel reservation, you might want to ask the owners for a recommendation for car rental. So far I've found people there to be extremely helpful. It's actually refreshing to correspond directly with the hotels as opposed to using an impersonal website as I do when making bookings in the US.