Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein:Best to book earliest or latest reservation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Fussen 2 nights, arriving early evening. I will reserve tours for the castles, but would appreciate feedback if it would be more advantageous to reserve earliest tour of day, or as late as possible in afternoon? Understand there are huge crowds. Thanks for any input!
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:24 PM

The tours are numbered and timed.

You need to be sure you reserve one in English, unless you are fluent with other languages.

The English tours often book up fast because many Germans take them because the German ones are full.

Old May 13th, 2007, 03:28 AM
ira

tt
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:03 AM

If I were doing this, and it was the priority for the day - I'd reserve for first thing - that way you could continue your day when you were done there. Otherwise, you have to plan your entire day around getting to your tour on time. I was lucky - we were there in January and there were NO crowds!
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I will book soon so we can get an English tour, and book for earliest available of the day as it can only get more crowded as day goes on. Happy travels all!
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM

what month are you going? We were just there two weeks ago and the crowds weren't that bad - but the tour buses started showing up around 10am and we were glad to be ahead of them.

Old May 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM

To give an example of the English language tours booking quickly, we took the tour in September 2002.

Our tour group had a number and we assembled in the holding area a few minutes before the green flag was dropped.

I estimate that 40% of our group were not native English speakers. They simply took the first tour they could find in a language they knew.

I feel that I should add that Neuschanstein is one of those places that to me is much more impressive outside than it is inside. Much of the castle was never finished so you do not tour the whole building. Also many of the nooks and corners are difficult to steer a large group into and out of.

As a result, you do not get up into any of the towers.

I honestly think you might profit more from hiking higher up for a magncificent view of the castle on the outside and seeking out one of the other castles to go inside.

To be quite honest about it, I was a little disappointed once I got inside the walls. The view of the setting is to me more impressive than the view from within the building.

Naturally that thought is my personal view. However, if I ever go back, I will find another castle to visit.

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

bob_brown,
We're visiting in July, so expect big crowds. I know my travel companions will enjoy the opportunity to tour the castles. I don't plan on doing it more than once in a lifetime And, I think we will enjoy hiking in the area to appreciate the view. Thanks so much for your information.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM

the view of the spires of Neuschwanstein rising majestically out of the trees is indeed beautiful. From that perspective, it certainly fits the "fairlyland" expectation.

When you think about how many of those castles the Wittelsbach dynasty either built or maintained, the cost is indeed a huge sum:

Herrenchiemsee, Linderhof, Hohenschwangau, Neuschwanstein, Nymphenburg, and the official Residenz in Munich.

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Bob - I was equally disappointed in the interior of N'stein - except that one big room.... Still glad I went and learned for myself, though.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I think early morning would be best too. We had our reservations for 10:30 last July and it was very busy then. Another thing, which may or may not be a factor is heat. We happened to be there during a heatwave and the hike up to the castle and then to the bridge was hot and humid.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Is there a way to get to the castle without hiking up a hill? I have friends who are planning to take a coach tour from Munich and seem unaware of any physical exertion required. Thanks
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I agree with Celtic, and with Celtic's reasons. The earlier you go, the better. And lucky you, you're staying right there in Fuessen, so you'll have no problem getting to the castle as it opens.

That way, you'll be able to see the day's top priority first, give it all the time you want, and you'll have your whole afternoon free without worrying about making it to N'stein on time later in the afternoon.

So see N'stein first thing, and then drive up to Weis for lunch outside and then a look at one of Germany's most beautiful churches.

Or if you need more Ludwig, you could drive over to Linderhof.

One other thing - my recollection is that the time on the ticket means the time you are supposed to be in the castle courtyard, not way down at the ticket building. It is a LOOONG way up - you can walk, or you can take a horse cart - either way, it's about 20-30 minutes up a very steep road. I also remember a minibus, but it ran at odd times and didn't really let you off at the castle - there's a bus stop about half way between the castle and the Marienbruecke. Which you absolutely must go to.

Have a great time!
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful info everyone! I'm ready to reserve the earliest available. Friends have mentioned how hot and humid it was last summer as they were visiting wineries along the Mosel and Rhine. I was in Paris last July- 98 or so. Just glad I'm a tourist and not a worker.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
As I remember, the bus took us above the castle and left us by Marienbrucke (Mary's Bridge) and we walked about 10 min. downhill to the castle (better than uphill!). After the tour we took the horse and carriage ride, from below the castle, back down. No uphill walking this way.

Paul
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:28 PM

From the parking areas, there is a short walk. Some think it is a steep climb, but my reaction was that it was no hill for a climber. Of course if you are out of shape, it could be.

At age 69 it did not bother me.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:34 AM

We took the horse and carriage up and back - it was cold and I was feeling extremely lazy - I think it was maybe 5E each person round trip - can't remember exactly. It took about 20 minutes and at some points, people walking were going faster than we were. Not a romantic ride if you're thinking in those terms, because they really pack you in there.