Advanced Bookings

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advanced Bookings

We're in the planning stages of a trip to New Zealand in early November 2006. How far in advance should I start looking into booking airline reservations and excursions, such as kayaking in Doubtful Sound, Elm Wildlife Tour, and other very popular tourist attactions. Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM

If they have a good cancellation policy, book now. If not, wait until your itinerary is set and then book. The Elm Wildlife tour was really good!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM

It is the Christmas/New Year season that can get booked pretty quick.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM

We will be on the south island for 10 days oct 30-Nov 9. We booked our flights last December-- (330 days in advance to get frequent flier seats on United). With airline reservations, we decided to book all of our accommodations. I called Real Journeys the beginning of December and was shocked to learn that the one date available on our itinerary for the overnight Doubtful Sounds cruise, Nov 2, was totally booked! I was quite dumbfounded. We switched to the overnight on Milford Sound and booked Nov 1 for the glow worm caves.

As for the Elmfield Wildlife Tours in Dundedin, I keep reading conflicting reports. Everyone who goes on the tour is very happy but then so are the people who do a self guided tour and book directly with the Penguin Place. I don't think the Elmfield tour returns back to Dunedin until late, which creates a problem with making dinner reservations. Remember that it's the peak of rhododendron time so save time to get to the botanic gardens.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I would go ahead and book. I also can highly recommend Elm wildlife tours.
It's quite true that you are late getting back and should plan on eating something before you go. They cover a lot on their tours , not just the penguins. The tour actually doesn't start til late afternoon, because the penquins come home for the night at supper time. It's a wonderful outdoor adventure and much more than the penguins. ( although they are the highlight.!!) I think it was after 11 pm when I got back.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I can't believe that you had to book the Doubtful trip so far in advance. Looks like we might not get to go on that one. I better get busy finalizing our trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Don't panic. I called Real Journeys directly and the agent told me that it looked like a tour group booked the entire boat. They had all sorts of availability on both sides of our date. The good news is that you have the option of both sounds. We really wanted the Doubtful but now that we are booked on the Milford, I know we will be happy since we won't know the difference. Even though Real Journeys instantly charges your credit card, it's totally refundable up to a day before your booking date so it wouldn't hurt to get your reservation in ASAP. They only have 18 double cabins so it is reasonable that it doesn't take long for the boat to become sold out.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update Richard. I was already in a panic but now feel much better. I will get to work on some of those MUST DO bookings though.