Search

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau

Hi,
Is it recommended to purchase advance tickets for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles? Also, my wife and I like to hike and are wondering how long you advise to enjoy the surroundings of this area. Thanks in advance, Jeff
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Yes, definitely purchase tickets in advance! When I was there in February, those who didn't make advance reservations still had to wait an hour or more until their entrance times. I can't even imagine what it must be like during the higher season.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Advance tickets are probably a good idea since not every tour going through is conducted in English.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
tn

I cannot imagine spending more than a day and a night here. We visited last year and outside of the castles, there is a lake with a trail that is enjoyable to walk around. I did not see much else to do.

As you will see when you arrive, what is there is largely built to serve tourists coming to the castles. We stayed at one of the hotels there and had a very enjoyable and quiet evening.

I agree with the others who said purchase in advance. Having that done will make your day more enjoyable.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM

We purchased in advance and were glad we did.

In the area for hiking - the Marienbruke is above and behind Neuschwanstein and if you cross the bridge, there is a nice trail. Then there is the lake up the canyon between N and H, which is neat. I am sure there are other hikes as well - Ludwig's mother was quite a mountaineer.

That is about it for Hohenschwangau town itself, but the larger area around there has plenty to do. The Forgensee is there, a tram and summer luge in Schwangau, lots of good biking paths, the town of Fuessen is neat. Then if you want to go a little father, you've got the Plansee just over the border in Austria, Oberamergau, and so forth.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM

We were there in September and stayed in Fuessen. We arrived in Hohenschwangau by 10 am and had no problem with buying our tickets for English tours. We were scheduled for Hohenschwangau first, I think they gave us an hour or so between the end of the first tour to get up to Neuschwanstein before that tour began. We had more than enough time between for a leisurely walk up the hill to the castle. We were done with both castles and had plenty of time on the Marienbruke as well as down to the Pollatschlut (the gorge of the waterfall) and were eating lunch at the Hotel Lisl (below Neuschwanstein) by 1pm.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM
jgg

How far in advance would you recommend - before one leave the states??
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi

We bought our tickets for both castles at www.hohenschwangau.de/556.0.html

You have to pick up your tickets no less than an hour ahead of your booked time. Bring your passport.

We stayed at www.hotel-hechten.com/, which we liked very much.

Took the bus to the castles.

You won't need more than 2 nights to see the area.

Trip report is at http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35014078

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Hi. Would we need advance tix for Lindhorf (sp?) castle too?