Critique my friends Plans!

Apr 16th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Critique my friends Plans!

I have offered to help a friend plan her trip to Italy for their first time. She is 50, her son 24.Time is of the essence and she is getting down to the wire so i offered to help.
This is what she has so far, ( assuming her plane tickets are in order)
June 17th-Fly to Rome
June 18th Rome
June 19th Rome
June 20th Rome
June 21st Sienna
June 22nd Florence
June 23rd Florence
June24th Cinque Terra
June 25th Cinque Terra
June 26th Cinque Terra ( visit Portifino for the day)
June 27th ,28th and 29th Venice
June 30th Rome
July 1 Fly home
So opinions on is it a good plan,doable,reasonable amount of time, going to too many places in this amount of time, for their first time ??etc, etc.
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:44 AM

The only suggestion I have is one less day for Cinque Terra. It's very pretty, but there's not a whole lot to do except look at the "very pretty" either from one spot or while moving from town to town.

So if they want 2 days of doing nothing (in terms of sights and activities) other than looking at the view and walking around, that is fine--some people love it. But it would drive me nuts.
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM

If she hasn't yet bought her plane tickets (or if they're changeable for a minimum fee), an open jaws flight into Rome and out of Venice would be more efficient. No need to backtrack to Rome. Better yet is an open jaws into Venice and out of Rome, reversing her proposed itinerary. Most connecting flights from Venice leave very early, giving you less time in Venice. And, if they're arriving in Italy after a long, overnight flight, Venice is a great place for recovering from jet lag. You don't need to watch out for Italian drivers, for one thing.

I agree, 3 nights in Cinque Terre may be more than necessary, though there are other towns to visit in that area and even Genoa.

She should be booking her hotels now also. Some places will be full.
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
yk

Definitely have her fly into Rome and out of Venice. Having to backtrack from Venice back to Rome is a waste of time and money.
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I know, i agree she said she had to do it that way because of F.F miles she was using,,and that part is already in place.So 2 full days in Cinque Terra is still too long,and then a day trip to Portofino? I was questioning the 1 day/night in Sienna if that was worth it as this is all being done by train.
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Personally, I don't like to pack and unpack / check in and out of hotels any more than necessary nor do I like to split nights in one destination. So, upon arrival, I would push on to Florence and rearrange the itinerary as:

6/17 Fly to Rome
6/18 Arrive Rome, train to Florence (approx 2-2.5 hours)
6/19 Florence
6/20 Florence (Siena as a daytrip)
6/21 CT (the hike is beautiful and would be a great relaxing part of their trip)
6/22 CT
6/23 CT
6/24 Venice
6/25 Venice
6/26 Venice
6/27 Rome
6/28 Rome
6/29 Rome
6/30 Rome
7/1 Fly home

Just a suggestion, of course, but I hope that she and her son have an amazing time however they plan the trip! It's so nice of you to help.
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Your friend's trip looks similar to mine, but mine is May 14-29. We are flying into Rome, spending 4 nights there, driving through Tuscany to Siena for 2 nights, then taking the train to Cinque Terre, spending 3 nights there, then train to Florence for 2 nights, then train to Venice for 3 nights, flying out of Venice. My flights from Phila. are at good times, not too early, and were the same price with the open jaw. However June may be different. I am afraid we will be running around a lot. I sort of wish I had scheduled 4 nights in Florence and done day trips from there for the Tuscany part, but don't feel like redoing the things I've already done. Because of the travel time, even when there are 3 nights somewhere (CT for example), you don't have that much time. I think we will enjoy a little down time from all the cultural excursions during our time there. My boys (19 and 22) can only take so much of churches and museums! They are looking forward to the hiking trails. I hope it all works out for her.
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

I would probably reverse the order & try to spend an additional day in Florence & Venice. I might cut out the Cinque Terra part altogether. Near the end of your trip you're not going to want to be doing a long Venice to Rome trip. Get that out of the way, right at the beginning.

Apr 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM

When I write-out my itineraries, I write down the travel/relocation days.

Doing that to this itinerary:
June 17th-Fly to Rome
June 18th Rome
June 19th Rome
June 20th Travel Rome to Siena
June 21st Travel Sienna to Florence
June 22nd Florence
June 23rd Florence
June 24th Travel Florence to Cinque Terra
June 25th Cinque Terra
June 26th Cinque Terra ( visit Portifino for the day)
June 27th Travel Cinque Terra to Venice
June 28th Venice
June 29th Venice
June 30th Travel Venice to Rome
July 1 Fly home

As mentioned in other responses, try very hard to eliminate that return leg to Rome. Waste of money and precious days.
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for your thoughts and ideas so far.
Your right Big_Red it is the correct way to look at the itinerary.I think the idea to pass along to her is the day trip to Sienna but stay in Florence for three days.I know it is indeed hard to pack/unpack as you try to squeeze to much into your first trip. It's hard to impress upon people to take it in at a somewhat leisure pace so you can absorb and appreciate all thats in front of you. I have been there now 4 times and still have not made my way Cinque Terra!