Search

Neighborhoods in Florence for vacation rentals

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neighborhoods in Florence for vacation rentals

Hello,
Our family is looking at vacation apartments in Florence for the end of December, and I'm wondering about various neighborhoods. We've found several great choices, but I don't know what the surrounding areas are like. One is in Santo Spirito, which one of my guidebooks says can be dangerous at night. Is this correct? Another is right near the Pitti Palace, on a main street close to the Ponte Vecchio.
The third is in Santa Croce .
We'll be going with our two daughters, ages 16 and 20, who, I'm certain, will want to do some exploring on their own, especially during the day. We all like local markets, arts and music; the girls like vintage clothes We're not so much interested in high end shopping or restaurants, but like more local, family style places.

Thanks so much for any information!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The historical center of Florence is very compact and easily walkable. Some of the areas you mentioned are in the pedestrian only zone while others aren't. If you could provide map links for the apartments it would help. A main street from Ponte Vecchio may be noisy, but would need to know which street.

You should plan to visit some of the markets. Here's a list of indoor and outdoor markets in Florence with hours.
http://www.firenzeturismo.it/images/...ro-inglese.pdf
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your response. The main street I wrote of is Guicciardini Street. Otherwise, there aren't maps for the other apartments...
I'll try to find out.

The list of outdoor markets is fantastic! Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

The other street would be Via della Chiesa, just wondering if anyone has any experience in that neighborhood?
Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I stayed (alone) on Via della Chiesa for a total of 6 weeks, in 2008 and 2009, and found it to be a safe, interesting area. The only time it was very noisy was after a soccer game, which I assume the local team had won!!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM

I rented an apartment for 12 days in Firenze which was located on Via della Spada and Via della Vigna Nuova where they form a triangle off Via Tornabuoni. This was a wonderful location with lots of shopping but more on the high end side. The apartment was within walking distance from the train station (SMN) and all the major sites. I walked everywhere and did lots of day trips. I love Firenze and can't wait to someday go back.

Happy travels!

jdc
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM

I've stayed in an apartment in Santa Croce several times. I think it would be good for your daughters, as well as being in the center of things.

Piazza Santo Spirito attracts a lot of young people; maybe a crowd more your older daughter's age. I've actually been hassled in P. Santo Spirito, but it really wasn't anything remarkable. There were a few homeless addict types that hang out in the piazza, but at night, the popular restaurants and cafes there keep the piazza safe.

Piazza Santa Croce is more of a gathering spot for teens, but only in the piazza itself.

Santa Croce is a good area for college age people, as it houses university students. Lots and lots of safe places to go out at night.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your responses. They'll be useful in our decision making process!