Search

Need to Decide: Venice / Positano

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to Decide: Venice / Positano

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have 5 days in Italy planned for the end of May. Rome is a definite, most likely for 2 nights - perhaps 3. (i have been before).

The remaining 3 (or 2) nights will be spent in either Venice or Positano. I'd prefer positano while my wife prefers venice. I understand that they are two very different places with different things to offer.

After Rome, I was looking for something a little more relaxed and less touristy. I know positano (and especially capri) is touristy, but I have a feeling it is on a lesser scale than Venice. Hiking on the coast or a day trip to capri also sounds great to me. Besides pompeii, capri and "poking around" is there much else to do in positano?

My wife on the otherhand has an image of the beautiful and romantic venice and prefers that. I'm sure it is beautiful, but I've been told that it can get old fairly quickly, and if you are their during a (frequent) flood time it can smell. Are there day trips from Venice we'd like? Can we easily fill 3 full days without getting sick of it (i can only take a few churches).

As someone who hasn't been to either place - are my assumptions correct? Any preferences from those who have been?

thanks in advance!

....and yes, I know we are WAY late on hotels

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:36 PM

In May the canals in Venice should still be reasonably unaromatic.

I am someone who flees from crowds of tourists, to both Positano and Venezia can get annoying to me. That said, you have really no idea how extraordinarily beautiful some sight in Venezia can be -- such as the piazza San Marco, day or night, or the island of Torcello (a very nice day trip to escape the crowds, and you might find Burano charming on the way).

You needn't go into many museums or churches, although some -- you'll be surprised will naturally draw you.

You won't be bored in 3 days.

To me, the jewel of Campania is Pompeii, which is an extraordinary, vast place of tremendous impact. Unfortunately, it is hard to get to Pompeii from Positano, so to me, even though it is less picturesque, I prefer to base myself in Sorrento (where the food is just as good).

Positano has beautiful, beautiful scenery and a picturesque but very tourist-oriented town.

Venice, it's true, gets mobs of tourists, but ultimately they cannot overwhelm the history and magnificence of what Venice was and is. There are many beautiful seaside cliffs with nice food and balmy breezes. There is only one sunset over Venice and only one faded empire of such great artistic acoomplishment.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Sorry for the typo! I should have typed: "I flee crowds of tourists SO (both Positano and Venice can get annoying to me.)"
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nessundorma, you may be bringing me around a bit...anyone else want to weigh in?
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM

I can't comment on Positano, but the idea that you would be sick of Venice in three days is certainly mistaken. I was there for just over three days and still have a list of things I missed. I would have loved to stay longer and would very much like to go back.

I was there in Sept and not once did I encounter any unpleasant odors. Also, I don't think I've read anything about flooding in May, that's more likely to happen in November.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM

If you only have 5 days, why don't you stick to Rome and perhaps Florence or some Tuscan towns? They are much closer than Venice and Positano, although both choices are wonderful destinations.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I'll probably get publicly flogged for saying this, but Venice did nothing for me. We went to all the major sights, took day trips to the islands, ate mostly mediocre food, and came away feeling as though we'd just visited Disney in Italy.

I've traveled enough to know one or two visits isn't the best way to judge a place. We probably missed the most wonderful off-the-beaten track places, but still, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd pick Positano in a heartbeat. And that's despite the crowds, although in May they shouldn't be as much of a problem.

For me, la dolce vita is all about taking in the unforgettable views from many of Positano's cliffside hotels, and eating (SLOWLY) food that makes you want to move to Italy.

If you get tired of doing nothing much, you can always day trip to Capri and Amalfi, or visit Ravello's beautiful gardens. There's more than enough to keep you busy for a few days.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM

You really cannot do justice to Rome in 5 days. Is your return flight from there? If so, stay there.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM

First trip to Italy, Venice and/or Florence are must-sees. But, each requires at least 2 FULL days. Travel eats up time quickly.
Getting to Positano (and getting OUT of Positano takes a long time) - traffic is brutal and can be very slow.
5 days in Rome is not too long - stay put and enjoy yourselves.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I would vote for the Amalfi Coast, but I don't know about the base in Positano. We chose to stay in Sorrento - easier to get to from Rome and also easier to get to other places. Visiting Capri, Pompeii, and driving the Amalfi Coast are all fabulous ways to spend time. From Sorrento to Capri is an easy boat ride. To Pompeii is an easy train ride. Driving the coast can either be done with a driver or renting a car or scooter. The food is fabulous, the people are wonderful, and the views are not to be believed. Then again, I liked Venice quite a bit also. Have fun deciding !
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help - this board is amazing.

One thing I really don't want is to be too rushed, especially in getting somewhere switching trains etc. As a result I think we'll do 3 nights in Rome with time for 2 nights somewhere else - hopefully without too much stress of travel.

With that in mind, Venice seems an easier option - get on a high speed train in rome early am and 4 hours later you are in venice. Positano for 2 nights seems tough from Rome, though Sorrento might be an outside option (we can fly out of Naples).

Other than Florence, any other suggestions for 2 nights in one location easy to get to from Rome? (yeah I know, whole new thread!)

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Another vote for Venice!!
IMO, it simply can't be missed. There's no place like it in the world!
You will not be bored in 3 days.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:20 AM

I love Rome, Venice and Positano. But with only 5 days, I'd personally spend it all in Rome - it's a big place. But both Rome & Venice are all about walking about all day and quite tiring. So if you think you'll have had enough of that after 3 days and want a change (and if the choice is only Venice or Positano), I'd say go to Positano to relax instead of to Venice for more of the same. (And no, I don't mean Venice looks or feels like Rome, I mean it's the same in terms of being tiring.) In Positano itself there's basically nothing to do except enjoy the views, eat & drink - and take day trips if you want to (I don't). But bear in mind that Positano is a bit of a hassle to get to, and I don't think it would be worth the journy for only a 2 day stay.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:53 AM

I'm afraid that I'm with those who recommend staying in Rome. I love Venice and Positano/Amalfi Coast/Pompeii, but to try to do either of them in two days (less travel time) is not a recipe for relaxation or enjoyment. Stay in Rome. If you get antsy staying there, take a day trip from Rome to Orvieto, or perhaps Assisi, to taste an altogether different part of Italy. They are both close and would not stress the system. Save Venice and Campania for another trip.

KC
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM

Here's my thoughts:
2 nights are perfect in Rome. Arrival and relax on the first day, with a short tour of the city in the afternoon or actually a visit of the Vatican Museums in the afternoon when the line is shorter.
2nd day: tour of the city
3rd day: departure to the next city.

Positano is way less touristy than Capri. Capri is very busy during the day. Positano can be busy during the day but in the afternoon and evening it is perfect.
There is a lot to do on the Coast, there are a lot of sites you can visit:
1.Capri, whole day (you need a day to visit it)
2.Amalfi and Ravello (and may be Emerald Grotto) – You need a day for this
3.Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius and Herculaneum – 1 full day for this too
4.Herculaneum and may be the last organic buffalo mozzarella factory – 1 full day

Then maybe a beach day to recover

Well Venice is of course gorgeous but it is a totally different reality compared to Capri and Positano. Yes it is true that in some places it stinks!!!
You can do side trips to Murano, Burano and out of the city but this is not the right place for quietness.

Positano is very romantic too. Candle lit dinner looking out at the ocean can do wonders for the Romance. What can I say!?!?!?!? I love Positano.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:07 AM

Here's my opinion- having been to Venice (5 times) and Positano (once) I'd back Venice every time. Positano was .....boring. There's nowhere to walk to apart from up and down the STEEP stepped roadway, looking at the same old shops selling the same old tourist rubbish. The view is lovely but you can only admire one view for so long, then look at it again from a slightly different angle. We went to Capri for the day,shuffled round the streets with all the other tourist hordes, eating icecream and gazing at the glitzy shops,and felt as if we were in a comic opera!! We loved Pompeii but went by train from Napoli and spent all day there. Ravello is beautiful too. But I'm afraid we were disappointed by the food in this part of Italy and that's one of our prime reasons for our frequent visits.

Venice, on the other hand, will be busy in May (I'd recommend early or Late (April or Nov) but you can always get away from people if you avoid the Rialto area. It's hard on the feet but you'll be so entranced by the scene as you cross each little bridge or round the next mysterious corner and it's positively peaceful compared to Roma & its traffic.
Venice every time for me!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:14 AM

To an extent I'd agree with the previous poster that Positano is boring - if you are the type that wants to do stuff all the time. IMO, though, after a busy week sightseeing in Rome, Venice or wherever, it's a great place to do nothing - just relax, enjoy the views, eat & drink. I've happily spent 2 separate whole weeks there doing nothing, & am looking forward to a 3rd this June. Disagree re his/her poor opinion of the food, too - I can only surmise you don't like seafood, bellini ? IMO the seafood in southern Italy is the best anywhere.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:23 AM

I'm re-thinking this whole trip now that I've realized you only have two days to spare. What about a visit to Orvieto which is only about an 1 1/2 on the train from Rome?

By the way, if it matters, I totally disagree with the poster's opinion of the food in and around Positano. Especially in Montepertuso, a mountain village about 15 min from Positano, we had unforgettable dinners. Venice was a different story. We didn't have one outstanding meal there, but I'm hoping that's because we chose the wrong places to go.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:29 AM

I am another of those who has no affection for Venice. I have visited five times at different times of the year (I always seem to go to Italy with first timers who really want to see Venice) and have never found it "special".

I would spend the extra time in Rome.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Just got back from my first trip to Rome, Pienza, Vernazza, and Venice. We were in Italy for 18 days.

Venice was my least favorite. Venice was my least favorite. Actually I have no desire to go back. It too felt like Disney to me. I was there 3 nights. I ventured into the non-touristy areas of Venice and while those areas had more magic, it still was unexciting to me. It could have been that it was because we were at the end of our trip, but still no magic for me not even at St. Marks.

Rome was wonderful and we were there 6 nights. We could have used more time.

I have not been to Positano so could not comment on it.