Need suggestions

Search

Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need suggestions

I am looking to take a trip from NY to England, Germany and Ireland in Feb of 2006. I have not been to any of said places and will be traveling w/others who have never been as well. My main question is, is it possible to travel between these places via train and if so what is the length of time it would take to get from place to place? I have traveled in Italy via train which was very simple. Would this be the same?
Also, which place would be the best to fly to first? ANy and all suggestions would be great! We are thinking about taking a full week (leaving NY on a Friday and back the following Saturday).
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
ira

Hi ebi,

You are going to 3 countries in one week?

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
P_M

If you have only one week you should not be visiting more than one of these countries, especially if it's your first time there. If you spend just one week in any of those places you will see what you want to see most, but there will be a lot that you will miss. If you try to do them all, you are making a HUGE mistake, and you'll barely see anything at all. It will be a complete waste of time and money.

Do some research and decide which one of these countries interests you the most. Then post us back using a more specific title that includes the country you are visiting. Then we will be happy to help, but for now you have some work to do on your own.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:03 AM

My suggestions:

Skip one country (or possibly two). There are trains between England and Germany - you can get from London to Cologne in about 5 hours by taking the Eurostar from Waterloo Station to Brussels, then the Thalys to Cologne.

Ireland is not accessible by rail.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have only 1 week, I would pick only 1 country. A "full week" by the time you take into account your first day in airport arrival and last day in departure is actually more like 5 days time for seeing Europe.

I suppose you could physically GET to those three countries in 5-7 days time, but I don't know you'd hardly have time to see much of anything.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Plus all that moving about makes it a much more expensive trip$$$$
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:12 AM

If you want all 3, you will spend a high percentage of your time riding and looking out of windows.

Ireland can be reached by rail, but you have to take a boat. It is a lot easier to fly to Dublin or other destination in Ireland. Aer Lingus operates flights between Munich and Dublin that I know of personally. I am sure there are others.

A week? You could spend a week in London alone and have a few items left over for a return engagement.

February? Why then. The weather is usually awful. Days are short and you can expect rain if not snow.