Need suggestion for 7-10 days trip in europe in end of the May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I had some time off coming up in end of the May. We are thinking to go somewhere in Europe during this time. I don't like the idea of going with some tour and stick to their schedules. We are not big advanterous people either. We just want to do some sight seeing and explore the area. I am thinking to visit 3 or 4 different places. Any suggestions of places that might be good for month of May? How should I plan my trip? Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Switzerland is gorgeous and an easy place to self-plan a trip. You could visit several different areas in 10 days using the trains.

Or a couple cities, say Paris and Venice make a nice combination. Fly into one, out of the other, and take the train in between.

4 places is way too many for 7 days, in my opinion.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Argee with suze - three cities Max.
We just got back from a 9 day trip to Paris and Brugge and I would have wanted to see another city. Would have liked one more day in Brugge. Search under my name and you'll see some of my trip reports. but the idea of flying into one town, then train then flying out is a very good idea.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Four places is too many for a 7 day trip. Each European culture has such utterly different things to offer -- and yet it seems each country has a little of everything -- you should give some consideration (and tell us) what your genuine interests are.

Try to enter Europe through the door you would fine most rewarding. If you genuinely interested in World War II or ancient history, it's easier to know where to start.

If you have always dreamed of a vacation in the sun and the warmth of Italian hospitality, don't deprive yourself.

England is a very different place from Vienna, Amsterdam isn't Venice. But don't think that by picking one place you can only have one thing. England has Roman history. Venice has modern art.

And so it goes.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - some reality here: 7 to 10 days is not long enough for 4 places - nor for 3 places.

One day is shot getting to Europe. One day is shot getting home from Europe. Most of one day is shot w/ jet lag. And 1/2 to 1 full day is shot every time you move from one city to another.

So if I were you I'd choose <b>one</b>country and then concentrate on one city w/i it w/ maybe a short visit to one other city/area.

i.e.: London w/ a couple of days in the countryside;

Or Paris w/ a couple of days in Amsterdam, or along the Loire, or in Normandy;

Or Rome <u>or</u> Venice w/ a couple of days in Florence.

Those sorts of itineraries.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Or just one city, or one scenic, rural location.

European cities offer a great deal more than American cities.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. I just came accross to this site couple of days ago, and I didn't expect to get this many responses in such a short time. I am amazed.

When I looked into what different tours are offering, I thought 3-4 places in 7-10 days was doable. I didn't think of flying time and jet lags. Thanks for drawing my attention to it. I have no problem stick to the one country. When I was looking into it, I did thought of switzerland OR italy for our first trip.I know switz. is more scenic and Italy has more culture/history. I can do either or. Which one would be easier to self-plan? Do you guys think taking a tour to exlore the areas would be better? I mean is it easy to get around by myself when I get there? I did like the idea of flying in to one place and flying out from another.
Thank you again for all your help. This is helping me a lot. I wish I would have known this site earlier.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM

I think you should consider staying a 1 large city (Rome, Paris, London) and doing a few day trips. If the 7-10 days includes the travel time, that will shorte the trip a day or 2 with flights and jetlag. You can keep quite busy for at least a week in most major cities.

Have either of you been to Europe before? May is a nice time to travel.

As far as planning goes, you have to zero in on a location first and then take it from there.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:53 AM

I don't think you'll have trouble self-planning for either Italy or Switzerland. You already suspect you wouldn't like a tour, and I think your suspicions are likely to be borne out.

Switzerland has an extraordinarily good rail system, as well as spectacular scenery. So self-planning a trip without a car is very simple. (Just remember to pack light for train travel so you don't get unhappy dragging around luggage.) Swizterland also has more than one culture and language, so you can experience more than one Swizterland in a very short amount of time by planning to visit different areas of Switzerland, all easily reached by train.

Almost everybody is going to urge you to go to Venice, and that, too, is not a difficult trip to self-plan, especially if you work out the details on the message boards. There are also worthwhile sights right in the vicinity of Venice, so you could see other parts of Italy as well.

For a 7 day trip, I would say try to keep to one country. For a 10-day trip, I would say 5 days in Switzerland and 5 in Venice might be just fantastic.

Switzerland only makes sense if you are going to spend most of your time enjoying walks in the beautiful mountains and relaxing on the lakes. Venice only makes sense if you are willing to put up with crowds of other tourists in exchange for seeing artistic crowds, and some of the inconveniences of traveling in Italy, which just doesn't have the precision services of Switzerland.

From Switzerland, it also each to reach Paris, if that interests you at all in liue of Italy.

Also, how important is food or wine to you? Switzerland is predictably cheese, potatoes, sausage and eggs. Italy is full of surprises.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:55 AM

oops! That was &quot;artistic TREASURES&quot; not artistic crowds. Damn.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Every single one of them are very helpful.

I think, we have decided to go to Italy, and we can spend 10 days excluding 2 days of travel time. We are thinking Rome and Venice (May be Florence for day or two just to see DAVID, not sure yet).
I am thinking to fly in to Rome, then take train in between, and fly out of Venice.

Now, what would be the better to book everything in advance? I mean train tickets, hotels and stuff. Is it better to get a package from europeandestinations.com or somewhere. Any place is better than other?
Any suggestions??

Thank you
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM

You absolutely have to book your hotels in advance, and you need to do so immediately for Roma and Venezia (and Firenze if you wish to go there.)

Also, you better check right away into what Rome-Venice flights are available. If you are not used to booking over the internet, call a travel agent. Train tickets can wait until you are in Italy.

State your budget for hotels and people here will give you good advice. For Venice, which is not a big town, say whether it will bother you to be in the most crowded sections of town but close to the most famous sites (the Rialto Bridge, Piazza San Marco, etc) or if you would be willing to walk a few extra steps to be in a far quieter spot.

For Rome, I suggest you look for a central location. Firenze, a quiet one.

You are well advised to get air conditioning, even at the end of May.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM

You don't say if this is your first trip to Europe. If so, London Paris and Rome (or Venice) are the big 3 for a reason. They are all fascinating cities.

In you limited time I would pick two of those cities and plan to fly between them, unless you choose London and Paris and want to take the Eurostar Train under the Chunnel.

A London Paris trip is a great first tiem to Europe trip and if you are American (I am assuming here) you will almost speak the same language they speak in London.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Hanover- welcome to Fodors... as you'll find we like nothing better than giving advice!

Fly into Rome and out of Venice. Book your plane tickets and reserve hotels ahead of time. The rest you can do on the fly (buy train tickets at the train station). 5 days Rome, 1 day Florence, 4 days Venice should work OK.

I don't know about packages, as I am a die-hard self-planner. I'm not sure it's the best way for everyone, but for whatever reason it's the only way for me!

As you mention, packaged tours do cover 4 places in 7 days, but that means you are up at 6am, on a bus, eating when and where they tell you, etc. etc. Because of the regimentation you can cover more ground in less time than as a solo traveler. But to me it is a question of quantity vs. quality.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Switzerland would be easier than Italy in my opinion. If you fly into Geneva the train station is connected to the airport, so it is very smooth. As someone already mentioned, the Swiss rail system is absolutely amazing.

Certainly Italy is an exciting destination, but I believe Switzerland would be logistically easier for a 1st timer, and you can't beat the natural beauty and diverse culture (french-, german-, or italian- speaking depending which areas you visit).