Need some help with Tuscany please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving to the Montecatini area from Como after about 10 days of traveling. We will have the part of the day when we arrive, three full days, a half of a day the day of my friend's wedding and the morning before we depart from Pisa in the afternoon. What towns would you recommend? We will already have been in Florence. I am thinking we should visit Lucca, Siena, Pisa (morning before we leave?), but I'm not sure what else. I do know that I want to get to the Prada and Gucci outlets one day, but I believe we can do that in the evening one day. Any suggestions would be appreciated and welcome. This is our first trip to the area and are mainly interested in soaking in some of the culture. Grazi!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM

The Prada/Gucci outlets are a waste ! This from 2 other " seasoned " shoppers with me. Poor and small selection. What was there looked mostly like castoffs, and were far from outlet prices.

Spend your time with the culture and scenery.

On one day you can drive down to Siena visiting some of the hill towns en-route. Siena is about a 1 hour trip south of Pisa.
Lucca is a very nice walled city,not far from Pisa
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM

we were in italy and tuscany the past two summers. first year from florence, went only to sienna - definitely reccommend. second year drove through tuscany and went and stayed over in both san gimignano and montepulciano. absolutely the best. stopped in montalcino and pienza. did it in 2 days. the best thing we did, had no reservations. picked up a car in rome after coming from positano and capri.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Prada is hit and miss. Found good stuff one year, nothing another year.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Definitely go to Lucca-eat in the town square, and soak up the feel of Tuscany. Must do San Gimignano and San Casciano. Go to San Casciano, find the gelato store on the square-for 1 euro, the best gelato anywhere. Walk around the walls and savor the city. Even tho Pisa is a tourist trap, you have to climb the Tower, what a view from the top.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM

hi there -

I just posted on another thread about the Prada outlet and The Mall (Gucci and many other stores). The Mall is closer to Florence - not sure if that is an issue because you seem to want to spend the whole day at the outlets.

There are bus trips you can sign up for to visit these places - we've always driven there ourselves.

Back to my original point - I agree with the other poster - Prada is hit and miss - been there three times and walked away empty handed twice. The Mall has so many more stores and options for both men and women - we've always managed to come away with purchases.

Enjoy italy!!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. As for the outlets, I was hoping to do that in the evening one day and not spend a whole day shopping. We will have a car, so, that won't be an issue. We are just looking forward to exploring the area and see what we run into. However, I do want to have a few specific destinations to guide our travels.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Make sure you are able to get a current schedule of opening hours at these places.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM

I'm planning a trip for Nov. in which I will drive along the French and Italian coasts from Aix en Provence to Florence, then back to Nice. I'm going to stay in the countryside, accept for 2-3 nights in Florence. I hadn't really planned to focus on shopping, but if the outlets you mention are close to where I'm traveling, I'd certainly like to pop in. Can you tell me exactly where they are?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I don't know where they are exactly yet. I just spoke to my friend who is from there and suggested stopping there on our way to Arezzo.
One thing I'm wondering, is if it would be worth to take a train or drive one early morning to visit Cinque Terre for a day??
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Go to Italy for culture, history, and natural beauty. Go to New Jersey for outlets---the exchange rate is better.

I have been to those outlets--save your time and see Italy.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Viareggio is a beautiful seaside town, with a fabulous seaside market and easy walking with lots of shops and restaurants.

Pietrasanta is also really special and is loaded with artists and marble sculptors whose work is shipped all over the world. Beautiful town and barely any tourists.

Enjoy!