Need Small Town Advice in Tuscany & Umbria for Seasoned Italy travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All! We are frequent travelers to Italy and are looking for help in finding some hidden gems that we have not seen yet in the Tuscany & Umbria regions. We have been to many of the must-see towns (we think!?), here’s an approximate list: Chianti towns-Greve, Castellina, Gaiole, Panzano, Volpia…Tuscany-Lucca, Cortona, San Gimignano, Arezzo, Sansepulcro, Anghiari, Lucignano, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza, Montefallonico, Orvieto, Civita, San Quirico…Umbria-Spello, Todi, Bevagna, Montefalco, Gubbio, Perugia, Norcia, Assisi, and many tiny villages. We’ve spent significant time in many other regions too! YIPEE! However, this September trip will focus on Tuscany and Umbria and most of it has been planned…just looking for some new town visits to fill some holes. Here are my 3 questions for this trip:

1) Ideas for a small town to stop for lunch, window shop, and walk around on our way between San Gimignano and our new base in Spello? We like small, walkable towns (hills are not a problem), with little shops, picturesque, some history, and fantastic local food…our idea of “small town” would be something along the lines of Montepulciano or Cortona size and a similar vibe. Does not have to be touristy though - we have greatly enjoyed some off the beaten path places and want more! We thought about Castiglione del Lago (we’ve been but a long time ago) and also Buonconvento, taking a more non-direct route but we have not been there and didn’t know if it would be what we are looking for.
2) In the Chianti area, we are looking for a new town to visit on a day trip. Given the above, do you think we might find San Casciano interesting? Other suggestions? We like at least some shops to wander in and out of, an Enoteca and some choices for restaurants. Our base in this area is in Greve.
3) In Umbria, we are looking for some options for day trips to towns we may have not visited yet. Advice? We haven’t seen Trevi, or Spoleto, are they a must? Our base is in Spello.
4) Bonus question: Anyone been to Pitigliano, Sovana, and Sorano? We have not and have already planned a day trip from our base in Montepulciano to see them. Do we need to see all 3?

Thank you in advance! Oh! Yes, we will have a car and would like to keep our drive time to under 1 1/2 hours (or about) between stops.
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 10:30 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Answering two of your questions
<<3) We haven’t seen Trevi, or Spoleto, are they a must? Our base is in Spello.>>
We enjoyed both, Trevi is tiny, Spoleto is much larger and needs a few hours. We were also based in Spello, a good base for Umbria.

<<4) Bonus question: Anyone been to Pitigliano, Sovana, and Sorano? Do we need to see all 3?>>
Weve visited Sorano and Pitigliano, skipped Sovana. Both are very interesting, I found Sorano fascinating and wished we had more time there -its a real surprise package.
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 07:51 PM

What about Impruneta, between Florence and Chianti. Terra cotta capital of Italy. 😊 Some excellent local restaurants and you might have a look at Relais Villa L'Olmo, an agriturismo that has reinvented itself slightly as a food and wine destination.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 09:13 AM

Re: Umbria Gubbio might interest you, it is a nice drive and it has its own style of ceramics.
Re: Pitigliano, Sorano and Sovana Definitely and take some time to look into their history.
Cheers
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes to Spoleto--it's bigger than Montepulciano, smaller than Arezzo, I would say. It makes a nice day trip from Spello. There's quite a bit to see of historical interest, plus shops, restaurants, galleries.

Not a town, but in Umbria have you been to the Cascata delle Marmore?
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't see Deruta on your previously-visited list...

I won't bother seconding the many great suggestions already mentioned. Except Pitigliano/Sorano/Sovano and esp. the Vie Cave (sunken roads). For a medium-sized town, I like Spoleto, but when are you going? Time of year would make a difference to me.

On your drive between SanG and Spello, you might enjoy exploring the area around Lake Trasimeno. There is a lot of lace-making and other handmade textiles. I especially liked the embroidery work in Panicale south of the lake, but there are other towns known for their particular crafts.

https://umbriatourism.it/handicrafts
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 01:16 PM

We very much enjoyed our time in Spoleto. On our last visit, we stopped by the tourism office and bought a pass that allowed entry to a number of museums and historical sites. You might look into that. The basilica in Spoleto is a must see as well.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 03:13 PM

I missed Gubbio on your prior visited list-sorry.
We find Deruta enticing for the ceramic artistry, especially in the old town up on top of the hill. Masters at work there in in some
places as well as down below. There are factories as well but the level of workmanship and artistry is there as well.
Torgiana is famous for their wine museum and Bettona has the Etruscan roots, both of which are close by to Deruta.

San Gimignano to Spello is a hike and we've enjoyed stops in Panzano-great food, as well as Castiglione del Lago for the
ambiance and lunch opportunities (as well as good kitchen staples).
Have a great trip.