Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hey You Seasoned Travelers -- Safety Tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 07:02 AM
Nora

Hi. Travelling to Madrid and Barcelona in March with family (two of which are 7 and 9 years of age). Since I have heard that muggings are on the rise in these cities, I'd appreciate any safety tips. Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 07:16 AM
s.fowler

Wear a money belt. I use the ones that hook over a regular belt and tuck inside your skirt or pants. Since I tend to wear my sweaters and t-shirts out I can wear a belt even when the skirt or slacks don't have loops. <BR>Keep your credit cards, passport and large amounts of cash in this. Don't use a fanny pack. Don't put anything down, even for a minute. Particularly in open air cafes. Inside I tend to wrap the pruse strap around my leg and put it between my feet. <BR>I wear a purse slung across my body. This is still vulnerable, but they won't get the stuff listed aove! If the hotel has a safe you can put airline tickets, passport, travelers checks in that. <BR>Always carry a photo copy of your passport in a different place than your passport as well as a list of your credit card #s and the #s to call from Europe if they get lost or stolen. <BR>All of this isn't a big deal really. Once I have my valuables settled as indicated I feel free to have a great time! <BR>Others may have advice on how to handle these issue with your children. You want them to be aware, but not paranoid <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 07:33 AM
Bob Brown

You are going to get a lot of advice on this one. At my age, I may be too <BR>conservative, but my wife and I have five procedures that we follow: <BR> <BR>1. Carrying valuables. We don't carry a lot cash; and both of us have a bank card and travelers checks with a list of check numbers separate from the checks. <BR> <BR>2. Protecting Valuables. Both of us keep cash, travelers checks and passports in a neck pouch that we wear under our shirt/blouse. (For me, I keep my regular billfold in a zippered pocket. For men, several slack brands have an inside front zippered pocket and a rear zippered pocket. Perhaps a skilled pickpocket could unfasten the pocket flap, unzip the pocket and extract your bildfold in less than 3 seconds, but it would be difficult.) <BR> <BR>3. Group procedures. We never separate, particularly at night, until we know for sure the situation. Granted restrooms present something of a problem, but both of us do not go in at the same time. <BR> <BR>4. Follow your instincts. If the area you are in gives your instincts a bad feeling, get out or stay out. <BR> <BR>5. ATM procedures. Use the same common sense you would use in a US city. Don't draw out cash at an ATM at night and, where possible, use an ATM inside the bank or at an airport or train station where there is good lighting. Under no circumstances, accept any help from someone you do not know well. (On our last trip, I had to use an outside ATM machine, but the town was small and I did it in daylight hours.)

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 01:36 PM
Heather B.

Hi! I have been to Madrid by myself twice this year (March & November). I found the city to be as safe as any other major city. I agree with the suggestion to avoid fanny packs. They really call attention to oneself. Take all the precautions, but also take time to enjoy yourself. Madrid is a wonderful city. Also, be sure to take a ride on the Teleferico, a cable car ride that goes over the Casa de Campo park. It's only open on the weekends through March. The ride has some spectacular views of the park and the city. And it is loads of fun too! I found it listed in the what to do with kids section of one of the guidebooks. <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 01:39 PM
Caryn

I must 2nd and 3rd the advice about the money belt. You can get them in any luggage store, camping store, AAA stores, and many other places. They are a must. Keep everything but the $ you will immediately need in the money belt. Personally, I don't like the neck pouches because a) you can see the string around the neck, and more importantly b) they pull on the neck and become uncomfortable. Don't let anyone see you go into it to make a withdrawal. Do not use any plain shoulder bags. <BR> <BR>Of course, use all the same cautions you use here in the US (I'm assuming you're paranoid like me) and keep your children's hands in your own whenever possible. If you are not paranoid, try to acquire some paranoia. It's a strange but good feeling to know that you are worried about much more than you should be and will probably not have any of the problems you anticipated. Definitely be careful in Barcelona, especially Las Ramblas area. Pickpockets and muggings abound even in broad daylight. I suggest staying in the newer section of town (Eixample). It's safer and much nicer there.

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 01:50 PM
Don Stadler

Crime in Europe is generally not too bad, though some places can be a surprise. I've been in Naples and Sicily which both have a certain reputation. Naples looked seamy, and we were very careful. Palermo didn't seem nearly as bad even though we were near the train station there also. <BR> <BR>A good guidebook (such as the Rough Guides) can steer you away from the seamier neighborhoods. This is half the battle. <BR> <BR>Apart from that I recomment that you use neck pouches or moneybelts worn INSIDE your clothing, or both. Maek sure that no strings or belt protrude out of your clothing. Leave your wallet at home, and women should avoid those cute knapsack handbags worn on your back. Fanny or front packs should be used only for inexpensive convenieces such as sunscreen or bus tickets, not valuables. <BR> <BR>Fancy camera equipment should be left home or packed in your luggage, NOT left hanging out. Particularly in airports or train and bus stations. Consider leaving it in the hotel safe when you aren't doing fancy photography, and take a cheap convenient 35 mm for snapshots. If that gets lifted it won't require a month's wages to replace! <BR> <BR>Sleeping on overnight trains is another subjet, and there are whole threads with excellent strategies for that if you need them. Enjoy and try not to worry too much.....

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 02:07 PM
elvira

The previous suggestions are excellent: use a neck pouch or waist pouch that tucks INSIDE your clothes; inside zippered pockets. <BR>Leave the fancy jewelry, designer purses, and the sweatshirts that read "Don't Mess with Texas" "Oklahoma is OK" or anything else that screams "AMERICAN TOURIST" at home. <BR>For the kids, make sure they realize the "don't talk to strangers" rules still are in effect; make sure they either a) speak enough Spanish to be understood or b)carry id with their name, your name, and hotel name (with phone number) and know what the police uniforms look like. <BR>At ATMs or any other place where money comes your way, COUNT IT AND PUT IT AWAY BEFORE YOU WALK AWAY. <BR>In other words...follow the same rules you would in any other city. <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 04:49 PM
Robin Samuels

<BR>Barcelona huh? Pickpocket capital of Europe (maybe the world). I know as I have been there many times and the pickpockets went after me too repeatedly. Like everyone says money belts are needed in that town. In Barcelona I would definately say to use the hotel safe (I never do anywhere else). Listen to what the locals say about areas of the city *they* don't even go into. Be careful on the subway and Ramblas at night. Lots of tricks to get you....spilling food, asking for help, tripping you etc. DON'T STOP if some stranger tries to stop you on a street. You really have to be on high alert in Barcelona. Madrid is not that way.

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 06:08 AM
Nora

Thanks for the great tips! We will definitely take advantage of the money belts as well as the other advice. Are the subways generally safe during the day in Barcelona and Madrid?

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 06:10 AM
Nora

Also, what about the night trains? Considering Barcelona to Madrid. Thanks for your help.

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 12:27 PM
david

My wife and I took the subway in Barcelona frequently. I had my pocket picked once..he got some change. The ruse was he tripped and I stopped to help and then he grabbed me. Also, be careful of people who try to wipe stuff off your jacket. I lost my Traveler's Checks that way and they were in an inside zippered pocket. Well, that's why I carry them instead of cash. <BR> <BR>We both loved Barcelona and it is safer than most major US cities, so just be alert and if you do have a pocket picked, well, that's how it goes.

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 10:52 PM
Denise

<BR>I wore a leather pouch which had three divisions with loops thru which my belt went. Our passports and money went in this and we felt quite safe with your clothes tucked in or out. We never carried much in the way of cash, only enough for the day. <BR>At ATM's one kept an eye out, whilst the other withdrew. I never took a handbag with me which was just the way to go, no worry about carrying it around all day. When we went out to dinner, and I took an handbag the strap was like s fowler wrapped <BR>around my leg. Our day pack was zipped and locked. It was so easy getting around without things hanging off your neck. When in a crowded area, one can walk behind the other, <BR>keeping an eye on the backpack. In Turkey and Italy, we did not feel in danger of being robbed or otherwise once. Just keep your eyes open, take care, but don't let it ruin your holiday. Denise

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 04:26 PM
Robin Samuels

<BR>Nora: You asked another question about the subways during the day and night trains. <BR>When on subways in Barcelona (day or night I'd say) be careful in crowded subway cars and be especially careful when you get off. If you get off at the platform with no one else there and someone else gets off right after you be on high alert and don't stop no matter what the guy says or does. <BR>As for night trains if you are in a sleeper car see if the door can lock and if the others in your car will agree to keep it locked when you sleep. In any case I'd say sleep with your money belt on and to be really safe use a bunge cord and lock to fasten your luggage to a bar or another part of the compartment. <BR>And do not drink or eat anything any stranger offers you on a train no matter how friendly they seem (I've read of a number of cases where the food had sleeping pills in it)

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 09:48 PM
Paciano Diaz

I agree with all the above. In addition, I suggest you make copies of your plane tickets. They might just get you home with proper I.D or at worst can only help. Take traveler's checks, credit cards and same cash. Seperate the money for immediate use into each pocket in case you should get pickpocketed, your loss will be minimal. As you would when investing, diversify. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 12:16 PM
Aurora

When walking, face the oncoming traffic but do not walk next to buildings and avoid walking next to the gutter. Wise guys on motorscooters love to hook shoulder bags from women walking near the curbs. Muggers sometimes lurk in the doorways of buildings. So walk in the middle of the sidewalks, if possible. In some old towns, there are no sidewalks -- so just be careful. Women: NEVER wear heels where you are likely to run into cobblestoned walkways. You are asking for a fall or worse. Men: never carry a wallet in a hip pocket; get a money belt or neck purse. Never carry money in an inside coat pocket, either. Old Navy trick: wear high socks and carry cash there, wrapped around your shin.

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 12:33 PM
Todd Inoue

Most of all, don't let all these warnings and precautions prevent you from enjoying yourself. I visited Barca last September and I was surprised at the amount of police presence along Las Ramblas and other high-populated places. I always saw cops walking in twos every hundred yards or so. I really enjoyed Barcelona--the people were super friendly and accomodating, the food and drink great--just a beautiful, youthful, vibrant city. <BR> <BR>t. <BR>

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 04:20 PM
graziella

In all the years we have been traveling we were robbed only once , it was in Madrid. <BR>This is the way they did it ( we should have known better) <BR>we had a car rented in France, they cut slightly a tire while the car was parked, followed us with another car, <BR>when we had the flat tire, a guy who seemed "stupid" came to offer help, we told him No thank you, but he hanged around till he checked the situation, then he left. He came back, <BR>my husband was changing the tire, and he come back and stared diverting his attention, in one second they stole everything that was in the car....fortunatelly not to much, but his jacket was there with his passport, credit cards etc. <BR> <BR>So be alert, <BR> <BR>I think that the best advise is whenever something sounds or seems unusual RUN AWAY, get the hell out of there, most like it is a divertion. and you are about to be stolen .....OK, but as I say only this time something like this happened and we have been in Europe dozens of times. Buen viaje. <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 1999, 02:33 AM
Luca Bracci

Ok I've travelled Italy for the past 4 years. I've walked the streets of ROMA at night and even been at Termini Stazione in ROMA at night to make a phone call. I've made it through the gypsy kids and the Milano and Roma metro trains. I've never had a problem in Italy during my travels, is this enough to prepare me for Barcelona?? It can't be THAT bad can it? <BR>