Need Recommendations - Cinque Terre

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Recommendations - Cinque Terre

Hi all,

We plan an 11-day trip to Italy in September (Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, and Rome). In Cienque Terre we want to relax for 2 days. I realize the area isn't known for its beaches but where are the best ones as far as a place to rent a chair and relax for a couple of hours? Any beach-front hotel recommendations there? I found one ? Hotel Baia in Monterosso but it?s next door to the train station, so it may be VERY noisy there. Anybody stayed there? Any info is greatly appreciated?

Natasha
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 03:44 PM

The Baia is not fancy but is on the best beach in the CT--I do not think the trains will be a problem. My first choice would be Villa Steno in Mont.
And, consider Villa Margherita in Levanto. Not really the CT but right next door with a good beach in town.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 03:50 PM

One of the best beach areas in the Cinque Terre area is Dieva Marina. It is just north of the Cinque Terre area but the CT is easily accessed by train. It is much less crowded and has a great beach.

A great hotel to stay at is the Caravella.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:46 AM

The best beach in the Cinque Terre is at Monterosso al Mare, there is a decent stretch of beach to actually lay down on, versus the other CT towns with their rocks and patches of gravel/sand. I would 2nd the Levanto suggestion. Technically, to the Italians, Levanto IS in the CT, but its 5 other CT neighbors are more commonly considered "the" CT. Levanto, former summer home to Mussolini, is just past Monterosso al Mare heading north and is the town frequented by the Italians; whereas the American, Australian, and Canadian tourists all go to the 5 CT towns. Levanto has a marvelous, huge beach area with terraced restaurants lining the bay and a lovely promenade for a "fare una passeggiata". It is an altogether lovely place and I intend to return very soon!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:23 PM
MK

I heard that it used to be "Sei Terre" but Rick Steves didn't like Levanto.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Natasha, Why not try the monastery in Monterosso al Mare. It's cut into the rocks with a beautiful view. My wife are staying there in September also. The head person is Paolo, & he speaks English. His email is:
[email protected].

You can also get breakfast & dinner there for about 65 euros. Hope this helps. Ken Lansing
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"but Rick Steves didn't like Levanto."

Good, that means his reverential flock won't be there. Villa Margherita was a great deal (85 euros) in Levanto, which is a nice town on its own. We are staying there again in early October. Easy walk to train station. Short train trip to CT. Have fun.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:26 AM
sockboy

Hi!

I am planning an almost identical trip for october and would love to hear the itinerary you have planned. We are planning 2 nights in Venice, 3 in Florence, 3 in the Cinque Terre and 4 in Rome.