Butane curling iron

Search

Butane curling iron

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Butane curling iron

Many people have referred to the butane hair products. I am leaving in a couple of weeks for france and where or from which cities are people having problems getting them checked though? Are they packed in your carry ons or checked luggage. And has anyone found them in Paris. I also use the butane and would like to know about this?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:50 AM

I can't help on this but I'll throw in my own dilemma and perhaps the curling iron savants can help us both! On a recent trip to Ireland (our first to a location outside North or Central America), my GF brought her curling iron. It wouldn't heat up when plugged into the 110/220 slots on the above sink light fixture (all the B&B's we stayed in had such a fixture with a single plug opening and a switch for 110/220). We were using a plug adapter. I tried using the curlign iron with a voltage convertor and no dice there either. Oddly enough.... my nmh camera battery charger worked just fine with the plug adapter, as did the charger for my electric toothbrush. When we returned home her curling iron worked just fine in the US. Obviously butane has an advantage if this is a common problem but I'm wodnering why the proble occurred in the first place.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:15 AM

My wife had the same problem with her curling iron on our first trip to Great Britain. Don't know what caused it but we just went to the local chemist (drug store) and bought one that had the right plug. Probably easier to just buy a curling iron locally upon arrival than mess with the butane.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:16 AM
SRS

I took my butane curling iron with me to Italy. No problems at all. I put the butane cartridge in my tolietries bag in my carry on and the curling iron itself in another part of my carry on. I flew from Chicago to Venice and then Rome to Chicago on Swiss. I was a bit nervous about whether it was okay to carry it on, but I figured I could always throw the butane away if they said something - I think the cartridges are only $3 apiece. However, no one even noticed - at least not on this trip. Good luck!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 09:06 PM

Well, if you read my "Just Returned From France" posting you will note I had a TSA/butane curling iron incident. I had NO PROBLEM going to France in May 2003....went from USA with 2 carry on bags and a full butane curler cartridge that was seen by several TSA agents when going thru the lines and hand carried the butane right up into businees class. (Obviously for security reasons I am not going to say what airports and towns.)
On the way home, I had No Trouble with an almost empty butane curling iron from France to Denver again Business Class..this time checking the bag with the butane curler. In Denver we had to claim all our bags for Customs, INS, Agriculture and TSA. Even tho I rechecked the bag that had the now almost empty butane curler cartridge, the lock was picked in Denver by TSA, my butane cartridge was removed AND TSA left a message in my bag that said only a minimal amount of flamable liquids was allowed even in checked bags, cited the federal rule AND said they had taken the butane cartridge out of my checked bag. Geez...talk about confusing...
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 09:18 PM
cmt

They are explicitly forbidden, but apparently many people are taking them in spite of the prohibition.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 09:28 PM

My point is that I asked if I could take the butane cartridge and was told yes...apprently not all the airline/TSA people are aware of the regulation either...so having the actual regulation I WOULDN"T take it again and don't advise anyone else too either..
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:36 PM

As a flight attendant, I want to tell you that these butane cartridges are extremely flammable and should not be taken on a plane. Do yourself and everyone on your flight a favor, leave it at home..thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:53 AM

This one is like the threads asking whether one really needs to take meds in original containers.

Some people advise "I've done it many times - no problem" But they are totally wrong. Butane cartridges are banned on aircraft, just because people get away with it doesn't mean it is OK.

Why risk it - and besides, I'm sure all the other passenger would be totally thrilled you have such highly combustible stuff on board!

Just take a dual voltage curling iron and adaptor plug, or better yet buy a cheap one when you get there.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:32 AM
RJD

The problem with the use of curling irons in European bathroom is a technical one. Even if the curling iron handles 220 it will not work in most bathroom sockets which are for low wattage appliances. Use an outlet elsewhere in the room and the iron will work fine.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:27 AM
LN

Question

At what stores are you able to buy your butane cartridges? I've not been able to find them locally.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Please leave these butane and other combustible items home-it is very risky to packing them with or without the TSA discovering them! My suggestion is to treat yourself to a curling item once you get to Europe. You can find alot of these hair electrical appliances for under $30. There is a reason why butane cigarette lighters and curling irons are restricted-take heed!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:50 AM
SRS

To clarify my previous message, I did not realize that they were not allowed on board - I should have thought about it / checked into it and now I feel a bit silly.

Thanks to all for the information - I will not travel on an airplane with them again!!

LN- I purchased my curling iron and cartridges at drugstore.com. I think the curling iron is about $20 and the cartridges are two to a pack for $6. I use mine as my everyday curling iron. I find even at home that it is more convenient and the cartridges last quite a long time.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:16 AM

Does anyone know a place in Paris where the butane cartriges can be purchased?
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:36 AM

I guess I must be silly but the thought that my husband and daughter [who travel A LOT] have been in a plane with someone whose hair is more important than safty makes me pretty crazy.Please get yourself some velcro curlers or buy one overseas. Do people really bring this on board? I would think self preservation alone would stop it..b
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:35 AM

If your curling iron is Braun, they have the cartridges all around Europe sometimes cheaper than the states. I suggest going to Walmart. They have dual voltage curling irons in 3 sizes that are great. Just make sure you have an adapter for where you are going as each country has a different type plug. (I've forgotten these before and borrowed them from the hotel)
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:41 AM

The major department stores sell the cartridges. So do most quincailleries and, I think, FNAC.
I agree it gives me the willies to think that people actually bring these things onboard! This isn't even a recent security measure - it's been in place for years!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

The advise has been great and I never realized that it was such a problem. So any suggestions should I take the Braun curling iron expecting to find the cartridges or just buy a curling iron over there???