Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation for private car/driver in Croatia.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't need a tour guide. Just a car to take us from Karlovac to Trieste. Two of us plus luggage.

I know we could take a bus to Rijeka and then one from there to Trieste. But I tend to get sick on buses.

Any recommendations for car/driver/agency would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

topping...anyone?
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

topping...again.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Hi there! If bus is not an option, there are taxis in both Karlovac and Rijeka that will take you where ever you want. When Islandic volcano erupted couple of years ago, a number of flights were cancelled so hundreds of tourists, but also Croatians as well, hired taxi drivers to drive them to Germany, France, even to UK. So I am sure you could find someone for a trip Karlovac-Trieste or Rijeka-Trieste. It's less than 2 hour drive, so there wan't be a problem. At the moment, I don't know anyone, but if you like, I can make a small enquiry. When exactly do you plan this trip?
Kind regards,
Tonci
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Tonci,

Thank you for the information! If we can get a taxi, then we would be leaving from Karlovac and heading straight to the train station in Trieste.

This would be in the morning of October 10th this year.

Do you know approximately what the cost would be? Is it negotiable? How long will it take for this drive? Would we have to arrange for this before arrival on the 6th? Or can we set something up after we arrive in Karlovac? Do you suggest we contact the hotel? Would they be able to recommend a taxi or car service?

Thank you so much for your assistance!
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM

Have you ever been on a bus in Croatia? The long-distance buses (not within a city) are very comfortable - certainly a step up from buses I've been on in the US.

I get motion sick when I'm a passenger in a bus or a car - I can't read and have to be careful about doing something like using a computer for more than a few minutes. So I really dislike bus rides and use buses when I travel in Europe only as a last resort. But the long distance buses in Croatia (and Slovenia) aren't stopping and starting every 30 seconds like a city bus, and I found them quite comfortable - not ideal but acceptable. I am not quite sure why a comfortable bus like this would be worse for you than riding in a taxi?
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 03:40 PM

We have just booked a (very expensive) taxi to take us from Plitvice Lakes to Bled in Slovenia. EUR325 for 4.5hr trip (more costly than any of our flights!)
http://zagreb-taxi-service.com/custom-destination or email [email protected]

The reason we did this is that everything I've read about the buses suggests that they are unreliable at best eg don't always stop at Plitvice despite the timetable indicating they do, or driving on past because they're full! We don't have the luxury of time to hang out at Plitvice for an extra night so a taxi seemed the only certain way to reach our destination on the date booked. It's also about 8 hours faster than public transport via Zagreb.

This was the cheapest of 3 taxi companies I found. They also seem very professional. Prompt and courteous responses to all my enquiries, secure booking form etc.

Good luck!
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Andrew, I appreciate that information. I did know that the buses would be nice. But it doesn't matter if I'm reading or not.. after two hours, I am seasick.

Additionally, it appears the trip would take half the time via car than by bus (we would have to change buses in Rijeka).

Thanks MRM49! Awesome information! Being that we would only be traveling 2-1/2 hours, it might be affordable (certainly cheaper than traveling back to Zagreb and flying to Venice, as we'd have to change planes in Vienna or Munich. I think I'll opt for the taxi! Thanks again!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM

We just booked a day tour to Kotor with CheapDubrovnikTours.com for 150 Euros (9 hours), with guide. I have read several very good reviews on TripAdvisor, so I'm hoping they are OK. If anyone knows any different, I'd appreciate they're comments. Anyway, they appear to have very good prices (they have a website). Hope thast helps.