need recent info on Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter (age 20, 1st time to Europe)& I are traveling 29/6 - 13/7 to Paris(5 days) Venice(3 days), Florence(3 days) and Rome (2 days) I have researched Rick Steves / Frommers / Venere / Trip Advisor etc & have gotten almost too much info on hotels - (my last time to Paris 3 yrs / Italy - 30 yrs)
1) any one know of hotel along or near Rue de Rivoli that's nice, but less than the Brighton? (suggested by friend, but costly)
2) opinons on Albergo Doni vs very small rm at the Hotel Campeillo? or other suggestions in San Polo / San Marco districts?
3) best location to be in Florence (easy walking to major sites) - will be arriving by train
4) good location in Rome (arriving by train)

looking for clean dbl room w/ twin beds, ac -- would like to be as economical as possible with 2-3 star place
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:56 PM

In Rome check out Relais Banchi Vecchi, Domus Julia and Daphne Inn. All have nice accomodations with good prices and central locations. Personally, I would avoid the area around the train station as I find it quite unappetizing and there are much better places to stay.

In Venice, Priceline is an interesting option. If you do your homework, you can get a really good deal in a city I find to be quite expensive.

Florence has lots of low cost lodging. I Due Leone comes to mind for a well located, well priced option. Also, Casa di Dante.

In Paris I used PL again with very good results.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Just have to say it's an unusual reco to use Priceline in Venice and Paris. In Paris the way they split the city is a bit odd. In Venice, there are only 4 hotels listed on Priceline that are actually IN Venice proper. There is one in Mestre where you definitely don't want to stay and another on Lido which can be nice in summer, but is not the same experience.

For a place near Rue de Rivoli, look at Hotel de la Place du Louvre

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

The Bonaparte is often mentioned here as a good place in Paris. More good ideas in this thread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34536281

Frequent poster Elaine discovered Hotel
Delavigne, #1 rue Casimir Delavigne on hre last trip and liked it. She talks about it here in her trip report

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34554042

The Hotel de St Peres is another on the left bank to check.

In Venice, look at the Wildner. The views are beautiful and it sounds like Elisabetta would be a good hostess for you 2.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Priceline might work okay for Venice, if you make sure to bid *only* the Venice zone, and not the Lido or Mestre zones. But you have to check to ensure you might be able to get a better deal otherwise.

Priceline can also work fine for Paris, if you're willing to compromise somewhat on getting the perfect location and bid only for a 4* or 5* hotel and make sure to avoid certain zones.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Hi
For Florence, research the Hotel Casci
It is walking distance from the train station, I've never read a bad thing about it (have not stayed there)

Why rue de Rivoli? It's central but noisy. Would you consider elsewhere in the 1st or 2nd?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's info -- have booked a few of the hotels - still researching Rome -- additional thoughts there? -- will be there 2 1/2 days - 3 nights
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:19 AM

keys72, I stayed here and recommend it - Hotel Julia. http://www.hoteljulia.it

However, I'm not sure what your budget is, or how much a twin room would cost for your dates.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM
eab

Hi Keys72,

We were in Rome two weeks ago and had good experiences at these places:

Hotel Tirreno (3 star): great location between Termini and the Colosseum. 148 Euros per night the week after Easter, now it’s 120. Great staff, nice breakfast, very acceptable rooms (in the “new” section). Some rooms have a balcony – good for having a glass of wine with our friends after dinner. Good restaurant just down the street that the staff recommended.

Nicolas Inn – a little B&B near the Colosseum run by Melissa and Francois Nicolas (she’s American, he’s Italian). 110 Euros per night, lovely bathroom, large room, great location, breakfast served in your room, charming place. Ten minute walk to a very good restaurant: Santa Cristina (Melissa can tell you where it is).

I assume you found places in Venice and Florence -- I have recommendations for them also if you need them.

Buon viaggio!
Ellen
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:59 AM

1)Try the Prince Albert du Louvre, on St Hyacinthe. Reasonable, comfortable
2)sorry
3)I think that close to the Duomo gives you a location equi-distant to all the historic locations in Florence. Just about everywhere is within a 20 minute walk, except for locations across the Arno. I would AVOID locations around the Train station- it's the only really seedy area in Florence.
4) The Hotel Italia, within walking distance of Termini Station in Rome is an excellent bargain hotel. It is fortuantely not in any of the bad areas as well. Eating accommodations are right down stairs, across the street or down the block, The hotel manager and owner are very gracious hosts!!