Venice hotel: Priceline or direct?

May 11th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Venice hotel: Priceline or direct?

I'm planning to be in Venice in late August and and am thinking of using Priceline to get my hotel room. I've used Priceline successfully in the U.S. and have gotten rooms at 20% to 70% below the going rate. Always good quality, well-located hotels. Now that Priceline is allowing users to specify Venice Proper (as opposed to Mestre or Lido) and giving the choice of 4*, 3*, etc., it seems worth a shot. I'm guessing, but cannot be sure, that I'd be able to get a 4* hotel for at least a third (possibly 50%) below the going rate. Which means that I'd end up paying about $150-$200 a night for a $300+ room. The hitch is that I won't know the location or the hotel until after the bid has been accepted. Plus there will be three of us and I will need a room big enough to hold beds for three. Even so, I would expect the room in a 4* to be large enough to hold an extra bed, if needed. I can certainly contact the hotel in advance to take care of that. The alternative is to book directly (perhaps the Flora or the American Hotel) and not take any chances even though the quality level might be a notch lower. Suggestions, please. Thanks.
May 11th, 2003, 07:20 AM

I'm usually an vocal advocate of using PL, but in your case I'm not sure. I think your assumption that the room would be big enough for three may lead to a nasty surprise as the three of you stand on the threshold of your small room. I saw your post at BFT and would suggest that you ask the room-size question on that board.

I stayed at La Calcina in October 2001 and loved it. We walked past the American Hotel and noted it as a possiblity for another time. The location, on a small quiet canal, is great.

Let us know how it all turns out.
May 11th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Location is not necessarily a big deal in old Venice--it's not very large. Even the area around S. Lucia station, though not the best, is not really bad.
May 11th, 2003, 10:49 AM

I used priceline for 2 nigyts in JUne. Had to bid 75$ and got the Mercure in city Center.
May 11th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Pacer,
After much searching I have not found any information about the Mercure in Venice. Can you provide any information? Does it have a web site?
Thanks,
Steve
May 12th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Betsy,
Thanks for your comment. I will post on BFT re: room size. I agree about room sizes generally in Europe though I would guess sizes increase sufficiently at the four star level to hold another bed. I've heard that Westin is one of the names at the four star level and will check there as well. Since there will actually be six of us traveling, we may end up with three rooms (two in each) instead. For that, PL should be OK and definitely a good deal at the 3* level.

Pacer,
I'm curious about the Mercure, too. What was the PL star rating? And what is the hotel's "regular" room rate?