Need quick answers re quick trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that all the info I need is here somewhere, but I don't have the time to do lots of research. I am planning a very quick trip to Ireland, visiting friends in Wicklow and one in Sligo. Is it possible to take a bus from Wicklow to Sligo and back? Or is it better to fly?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Buzzy, if you really need a quick answer, I suggest posting this request again using "Ireland bus question" as the subject line.

Keith
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Keith; as soon as I posted it, I realized I should have included Ireland in the title...
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM

BuzzyJ you will have to get a bus to Dublin and change buses there to go to Sligo or you could also get a train from Dublin (Connolly Station) to Sligo. The rail website is www.irishrail.ie or if you'd prefer the bus, the site is buseireann.ie. You can get times and prices on both. The train from Dublin to Sligo is approx 3hours with the bus taking 3-4 hours depending on traffic. Wicklow to Dublin will prob take about an hour. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Buzzy,

I haven't done that trip, but had quite a few web resources bookmarked. It looks like flying would be pretty tough to pull off. The closest airport to Wicklow is Dublin and the closest to Sligo is Knock, but I don't see that either Aer Lingus or Ryan Air fly that route. Flying to Shannon would leave you still a good way from your mark.

Looking at the bus schedule, it appears you can make a single connect at Dublin for a total trip of 5:30 (Wicklow town to Sligo town). Check out

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/home/

for prices and time tables.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all (and Clifton for posting twice). The idea of taking a train really appeals to me, so I will look into that. Should I assume that I can make reservations once I'm there?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:20 AM

No problem making a train reservation when you get here. There is actually a flight that operates from Dublin to Sligo with Aer Arann and they are doing some special fares at the minute that you can book on-line at aerarann.com
They have fares of €30 each way at the minute and the flight is just over 30 minutes.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Sorry that should've been aerarann.ie