Search

need long term apartment in Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need long term apartment in Berlin

Hello
I am posting here in case anyone has info...
I am a pianist moving to Berlin and look for a ground floor apartment (sound travels down and i will be practicing at home), very much natural light, with a living room and 1 bedroom. Old building, quiet street. Near public transportation. Hopefully with a garden. I dont care about what neighborhood it is in but it must be pretty safe. I can pay 400 euro or a little more if it is really worth it (a month). The most important is the light and the ground floor. I wll be arriving september 11 and will be ready to look at what is available, stating then or in october. Thank you !
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM

You say long-term - but not how long.

If it's really long-term you should be looking for real estate agents - and in local newspapers.

And while I'm not conversant with apartment price sin Berlin - 400 euros a month sounds incredibly cheap for anything decent. Another point - many buildings have rules about musicians practicing on the premises (either banned or limited to certain hours of the day) - which is something you would have to look into.

(Obviuosly don't know the rules in Berlin - but in our NYC building live music is limited to 9 am to 8 pm - and not before noon on Sundays. We have 2 professional musicians in residence.)
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi hani,

when we were visiting Belin a couple of years ago, I googled "apartments in Berlin" and found loads, mostly long-term.

However, you might like to rent something on a shorter term basis to start off with while you find the ideal spot.

Good luck,

regards, ann
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you really find a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood with a garden in Berlin for only 400 euro per month? That seems incredibly cheap to me for a major european city.

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM

If you look at Craigslist for Berlin, you will see many reasonably priced apartments. Whether there's one that exactly meets the original poster's requirements is another issue.
http://berlin.en.craigslist.org/apa/
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Okay, 400 Euro/ month is perfectly doable in Berlin, but some items on your wishlist do not compute.

Ground floor and "much natural light": Most streets in Berlin are lined with trees, and ground floor apartments usually are the darkest. Especially during the winter months, when you will be there.

Ground floor and sound traveling down: Who cares? You are allowed to practice your music on any floor during given hours, or not.

Garden: Forget it (when looking for an old building).

If you know German, you will find many (furnished) apartments in Berlin in your price range at
www.immoscout.de

Or in English:
http://www.homecompany.de/index.php?sp=en
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody!
Long term, I meant, I am moving there (this wednesday!) for at least two years to study, but I do have a place to arrive for the first few days untill i find an apartment.
It is true about ground floor usually not having much light, but it is a wishful thinking to find such a place, and if what you say cowboy about practicing on upperfloors as long as I am in the allowed "noisy time", then I guess I can look for a higher Apt, with tons of light.
About proposing 400 Euros,, I had heard it was reasonable (400-500) since Berlin is the, or one of the, cheapest citys in Germany.
Thanks again everybody!