Need Itinerary Help-Seniors

Jan 14th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Need Itinerary Help-Seniors

We're trying to set up a trip to Italy, 14-16 days. We will be using our Hilton Honors points, and availability in several southern locations is not a problem.
My husband has difficulty getting around--Short walks are fine-Walking tours are out. We would like to take local bus tours, and won't be renting a car.
We are thinking of Sorrento, Venice, and Rome, but are concerned about making connections from one city to another.Handicap-friendly transportation is a must, as well that it isn't overly expensive.

I have in mind to stay 6 nights in Sorrento 3 nights in Venice and 4 nights in Rome.
Which would be the best airport to fly into?
Would we be better off starting our trip in Sorrento?

Unfortunately, we will have to do this trip at a slow pace, perhaps missing quite a few places--we just want to be sure that we don't miss too many of the "must-sees"!

Any help will surely be appreciated!

Jan 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Are you going to take trains? There is a commuter train to Sorrento from Naples. You could fly into or out of Naples. Or you could hire a driver to pick you up in Naples and then negotiate for a day tour down the coast with the same driver. There are many contacts people have posted here on Fodors.

You can train up to rome and to Venice and fly out of there.

Is this what you were asking?

Jan 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Naples will be your airport if starting at Sorrento. Be very careful with your hotel choice in Sorrento many are on the hillside and have difficult access. Michaelangelo is our favorite. Great location, lovely little hotel.
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:45 PM

The Hilton is up an inclined street from the bay, you may have a cab take you down to the Corso or walk slowly, it should't be a problem. People seem to really like that Hilton.
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM
ira

Hi M,

When are you going?

It makes a difference if you are visiting Sorrento.

Jan 15th, 2007, 05:32 AM

We flew into Venice and out of Rome and used trains in between. I seem to remember that in Venice you had to go up or down some steep stairs to reach the train platform. Venice IS walking, in my opinion but it could probably be done in shorter segments. Check specific sites regarding handicap friendly. One spot in Venice had a lot of stairs. We liked flying into venice because of the jet lag, slower pace there than in rome. Know nothing about Sorrento.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Sorrento is beautiful, and definately would fly into Naples. Make sure to take a day tour to Capri. Venice would be very hard on a handicapped person. Lots of stairs, no matter where you go there are groups of stairs.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

We're planning the trip for the last week in March thru first wk. of April. Trains are fine, as are busses. Steps are out, so I am deleting Venice from our itinerary.

Actually, the Hilton in Sorrento is where we plan to stay. I'm sure the hotel can accommodate us-but I'll check.

Suggestions as to what city to substitute for Venice? -Assume flying in and out of Naples.

Terrible when one has absolutely no idea of the area!
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Maybe you could visit Florence as a base..instead of Venice. I'm sure there are day tours out into beautiful Tuscany and the lovely towns and countryside. AND of course a city tour of Florence.
We usually rent a car and drive ourselves in Europe, but have only driven in Italy one time, (Venice and the northern Lake District).
The only 2 Elderhostels we've taken have been to Italy (VERY well run with lovely hotels). One was in Siena (Tuscany) and one was in beautiful Sorrento...each 2 weeks. I was in bad need of a knee replacement (both times, 3 yrs apart..and BOTH knees)
I did a lot of walking (limping) but tried to avoid steps as much as possible. (Yes, Venice would not be good for someone limiting steps).
Six days seems like a long time in Sorrento (unless you take lots of day trips...Capri, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii (which requires a LOT of uneven walking),..but Sorrento IS a lovely place.
You can have a wonderful trip doing Florence, Rome, Sorrento....and there is a ton of information on the internet. Day trips and day bus tours abound and are a wonderful way to see an area.
You could certainly fly into Naples (Sorrento by train ) and work your way up to Rome etc. The Naples airport is nice, but I'm not heard very good things about the Naples train station and wouldn't want you to be discouraged on arrival in Italy. (you might want to check with the Hilton in Sorrento and get some suggestions as to the best way to arrive in Sorrento)OR tourist office in Sorrento.
What month are you going? , and are you flying from the States and perhaps connecting in London to British Airways..or one of the other European Hubs.?
Keep us posted with your plans, and I can relate to the "limited walking" part....but my theory is to "press on" as much as possible, take it easy, and enjoy your travels.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Mommaroo,

If your husband can handle the steps in the train stations, on/off trains, and buses (which are steep stairs!), then he should be able to do the stairs on the bridges in Venice too. The bridges do have stairs, but most are very shallow, small steps. How much you walk and where is up to you. You can enjoy Venice by doing a lot of vaporetto trips rather than walknig everywhere.

Buon viaggio!
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:28 AM

me again!

The Hilton Palace in Sorrento has EXCELLENT reviews on www.tripadvisor.com

One reviewer said the Hilton had a car that picked them up at the aiport (presumably in Naples).
(it was a "honeymoon package", but it's certainly worth talking with them about...and would be SO CONVENIENT)
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:39 AM
GBC

Agreeing with Doyle, above, is your husband unable to do any steps at all, or is he just limited to a few that are not too difficult. Please advise before deleting Venice altogether because in some ways Venice has some advantages. The distances are short and you can get about by vaporetto (read water taxi) which is a straight walk on. It is true, however, that some stairs are necessary.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:47 AM
GBC

I'm sorry. I changed Dayle's name to Doyle. My bad.