Need Input- Venice to Lido di Jesolo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to visit Venice in September. We have the opportunity to get a great deal on a hotel in Lido di Jesolo across the lagoon from Venice. I'd like to know if anyone could provide some info on the travel time and vaporetto access to this area. I see that there is a route from Venice proper to Punta Sabioni, but no info on the time it takes to get from one to the other.

On our previous visit, we stayed right in Venice and loved it, but we could save big bucks by staying in Lido di Jesolo, so we are considering it. Anyone ever stay in this area for a visit to Venice?
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 09:06 AM

It's a 35 minute bus ride from the center of Lido di Jesolo to Punta Sabbioni http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/..._30.4.2014.pdf

It is timed to meet up with the vaporetto service toward Murano or toward Lido di Venezia & San Marco; so after the 5 or 10 minute transfer to the boat, it takes another 35 minutes to San Marco.

So, all tolled, close to an hour and a half. The boat ride is kind of nice, the bus ride is pretty tedious. You will definitely feel like a daytripper. The vapo schedules are here: http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/..._30.4.2014.pdf
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 09:32 AM

There are also frequent buses between Venice Piazzale Roma - Mestre railway station and Lido di Jesolo.

But seriously: I would only stay at Lido di Jesolo for beach holidays. Venice is a gem whereas Lido di Jesolo has no character at all.
In the first half of September, you may find there many German and other North European beach holiday tourists.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM

We once spent a weekend in Chioggia, which I associated with beaches, but which has a nice center with its own canals, old churches, and fishing industry. There is a boat from Chioggia to Venice, which, if I remember correctly takes about an hour and drops you at the Lido vaporetto stop. There is also a bus that gets to Piazzale Roma in about 45 minutes.

We used Chioggia as a base for visiting Murano, Burano, and Toricelli, and didn't go into Venice at all that weekend. The boat ride was very nice. It was a tour boat, with commentary on the other islands we passed, and the history of the lagoon, but all in Italian. They must have similar boats for English speakers.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 12:34 PM

bvlenci--

Doesn't look to me like Chioggia, whatever else its charms, would be a good base to explore the islands in the Lagoon.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 12:39 PM

That long-distance coach service from ATVO to Piazzale Roma http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/...14_feriale.pdf is comfortable and efficient; it saves maybe 10 minutes over taking the #5 bus and the vaporetto (though you wind up at P.le Roma vs. San Marco); the #5 and vaporetto can also take you to Burano and Murano. The advantage to the express bus is comfort and ease, and the advantage to #5/vaporetto is that the trip across the lagoon is memorable vs. the long-distance coach which is super dull.

Have you considered staying on Lido di Venezia? Prices tend to be pretty good there, and it's a pretty 15 minutes to San Marco.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:10 AM

It seems to me that. if you are going to be that far away (in time) from Venice, you might consider staying in Padova. It's about a half-hour by train and the hotels are cheaper...plus, it's a really nice town with some great things to see.

Depending on your departure time, the fare for a 27 min trip is as low as €3.60.

SS
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:15 AM

...the truly amazing Scrovegni Chapel is in Padova (reservations required), and the town has a great duomo and baptistry as well as the St. Anthony basilica.

SS
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Agree with ssander, Padua is a much better idea, a lovely place in its own right, unlike Lido di Jesolo, and much less time to get to Venice.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 02:33 AM

Padova is fine IF YOUR HOTEL IS CLOSE TO THE RAILWAY STATION. Otherwise you need to much time for the transport to Venice.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 05:30 AM

I actually like Lido di Jesolo. When there are lots of people around it is really convivial, with the main street pedestrianized at night, loads of restaurants (great food at good prices), and glitzy strolling in a happy humming mass of people with a lot better gelato than you'll get, say, on Lido di Venezia. It's more slick & modern than other Italian beach towns - - so don't expect quaint; and don't expect even a shadow of the character of Venice. It attracts a nice blend of Austrians and Italians. Great Famila mega-grocery store in the center. Miles of beach. Hopefully it isn't too deadsville in September.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM

neckervd...

True enough...but that's true of any city.

In Padova, if you're within a few blocks of the main tram line or the ten-or-so north-south bus lines that stop at the station, it shouldn't be a problem. (Except maybe on Sundays when they don't run as frequently.)

I'm not at all familiar with Lido di Jesolo, so others will have to comment on how long it might take the OP to get to the bus from her hotel.

Regardless, it's got to be faster from Padova based on dfourh's post above.

What matters is where the OP wants to stay. I was only suggesting a closer alternative.

SS
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 02:56 AM

I fully agree with you, Lido di Jesolo is not better. Therefore I would stay at Venice (see my post at the beginning of this thread).
I only wanted to make it clear that most hotels at Padova are MORE than 30 min away from Venice Santa Lucia train station.
The last train for Padova leaves Venice around 10pm; so, a dinner around San Marco wouldn't even be possible (at least at Italian mealtimes).
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I actually like Lido di Jesolo.<<<

I do too. If you were going to Venice often, I don't think I would stay there, but since the OP has already been there they might just be making a one day visit. I think the weather will probably still be nice enough to enjoy the beaches (very wide). It really depends on how much they want to visit Venice or relax in Lido di Jesolo.