Search

need info on these cities please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need info on these cities please

Hi all;

going on a roman conquest with several students this march. if you can give me any advice one some of this cities, I would so appreciate any info. Hotels, Tours and Food of course.

Barcelona
monaco
nice
pisa
florence
french riviera

Thanks in advcance. Theresa
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:30 PM

What does "going on a Roman conquest" mean? It sounds ominous.

Seriously, you need to take matters into your own hands and use the library, bookstores, and internet to get you started. Much as we Fodorites like to help people plan trips, asking us to give you basic information for so many different places is, well, asking too much. You need to put forth some effort yourself.

So when you've done that, please come back and we can help with the specifics.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For people to help you with "hotels, tours and food" we need to know more about you and the students.

Specifically what price range of things are you interested in? How long will the trip be? Are you traveling by car, bus, train, or plane? How many people are in the group? Etc. Etc.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
rex

The website www.venere.com would be an appropriate place to start.

How long can students be away from their regular studies? Is this the typical Friday-Sunday spring break? (nine nights, of which, one is in the air on the outbound transatlantic flight)? If so, you have too many destinations. Flying into where? and departing from where? frm/back to North America? Did their parents/sponsors give you a blank check for this trip with no itinerary set, nor any firm notion as to what the general budget/plan is?

Answers from you are needed to get answers from "us".

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - you want to know everything about five cities and a whole region?

What research have you already done? Are you trying to go to all of them, or are you trying to decide which ones are best? How old are the students? How long is the trip?

Your post is simply too general for us to be able to help much.

Give us more information . . . . .
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Theresa - I assume you decided to skip the NETC tour and do it yourself.

Fly into Barcelona and spend a few days. Since you loved Rome, you will love Barcelona too. At the airport, buy T10 tickets. These are good for the train from the airport into Barcelona and for the subway. They can be shared.

Take the overnight ferry from Barcelona to Genoa. The kids can share cabins (4 to a room). In the past your only ferry option between Barcelona and Genoa was Grandi Navi Veloci(http://www1.gnv.it/eng/) but I understand Cemar is starting a Barcelona/Genoa route in 2006. www.cemar.it I don't think either has their 2006 prices up yet.

From Genoa you can easily train to Pisa, stop and see the tower, train to Florence for a few days and then onto the Riveria. You can fly home from Nice. Use the Trenitalia website for train schedules.

How many are in your group?

Rome, I Loved It, Too and your trip report! You can easily handle a group of students after your experience with your family!

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:07 AM

I respectfully suggest that the <i>students</i> take this assignment.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Is all that supposed to be in a spring break trip? If so, as they say in NYC, fuhgeddaboutit!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Happy New Year!

Sorry about being so vauge on details, just was looking for some general info about these cities, and others experience.

I will be traveling with approx. 20 students and a few adults. We are traveling with NETC who is a student travel company. We are going on the Roman Conquest tour. We arrive in Barcelona then onto carcassonne france, nimes, french riviera monaco then to pisa florence and then ROME. It's a 10 day tour. it is all planned out and we are hitting alot of attractions. I will have some time in the evenings to get out and about on my own, and though dinner is included with the package, i want to make it a point to go out for dinner and check out hotels and restaurants for future travel. If i like a city, i'm gonna want to go back on my own.

I went on a NETC tour 2 years ago, Paris and Madrid and it was Fantastic. It was the first time I ever had a tour guide and I loved it. He was awesome, and i'm hoping to get him this time around too. Our group asked for him if at all possible. I was with a group of spanish and french students and 6 parents, I don't speak a word of french and my spanish is not spanish. what a ball we had. I had to share a room with a mother, and i didn't even want to do that, i even paid the single supplement to have my own room, and because the hotel was booked, i got stuck in a room with someone i didn't even know. But it all worked out, and that's a whole differnt story about that one.

I just wanted to say I did go to the bookstore and internet for info on these cities and have put forth great effort, but getting advice from the people on fodor's forum is better than any book i could find in a Library or tourbook.

Thanks for all the time you all have given. I would love to hear any stories of these cities someone might have had. And i can take the good the bad and the ugly. let go........