Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need hotel advice for 2 night stay in Athens!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are ending our honeymoon with 2 nights in Athens. Looking for a hotel centered in the Plaka area for a reasonable price. Hoping for something with great views, roof deck or pool to take in the city. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM

We got this recently renovated hotel at a very good price - not fancy though - got great reviews on tripadvisor. We had to use Expedia (and there are 2 MYRTO hotels - one is close to the ocean - make sure you get the one in Plaka) We will be there in May - not sure when you are going but can give you a better idea after we stay there)71 euros per night.
Myrto Hotel Athens
40 Nikis Street
Syntagma Plaka
Athens 10558
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:49 AM

Another well-situated hotel is Athens Gate, right across from Hadrians Gate and TEmple of Zeus. On this map it's on the Plaka side of Amalias Avnue (the Red dotted line) facing those 2 (#7 & 8). http://www.cretetravel.com/Athens/At...Athens_map.htm
Has lovely rooftop terrace with view, for breakfast, cocktails, dinner et.
Ask for a room at the back, high up, for Acropolis view, but NOT the top floor (because those rooms hear footsteps of those on Terrace.

Also for moderate price, Plaka Hotel, very handy with rooftop garden with Acropolis view.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM

What is a reasonable price?
I stay in Athens regularly, I've used about 8 different central hotels. The last visit at Easter I stayed at the Hotel Astor, a fantastic view from the rooftop restaurant & cafe (where breakfast is served)
As it's your honeymoon I would mention it, as some of the rooms have this view from the balcony as well & you may be able to get one on request.
A short video from the rooftop of the Astor here,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassas...7623783826856/
Photos, including the view from the balcony of our room (811) here,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassas...7623652900967/
Great view from roof bar of the Attalos as well,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassas...7623227054820/
The Astor is a 1 minute walk to Syntagma, excellent for transport, & close to Plaka, Attalos is in Monastiraki, also close to Plaka. Both are great locations. The Astor is much nicer, although the Attalos is fine too. The only drawback with the Astor was low water pressure for a shower, no big deal though, I just allowed a longer time for it!
Your actual budget in euros per night is the key though, there are numerous other choices with quite a varying price range.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:28 PM

I went to Greece on my honeymoon as well and stayed at the Ochre and Brown (O&B) boutique hotel. Loved it! Only downside is no pool. http://www.oandbhotel.com/

Nice contemporary decor and great service, b/c it's a small boutique hotel they really paid attention to the guests, and the breakfast was to die for!!! (included in the room rate).

While the street it's on isn't exactly posh, found the area to be very safe and we were able to walk almost anywhere. It's also quite close to the train station. There's a great Irish pub right down the road where we caught some football one night and met some expats. Very random, but cool experience.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:28 PM

yiassas, I agree with all you say about the Astor. I don't recall it ever being mentioned here before.

I've lodged in a good few hotels in Athens over many years and enjoyed them all but, for location alone, the Astor is the best and with very good rates. The icing on the cake for me though is the little bakery/sweet store a wee bit further up the street and a few steps to the corner with Syntagma. It has the friendliest staff and the food sold is superb. I really enjoy buying a few snacks on the way back to the hotel in the early evening, then sit out on the balcony and enjoy them.

Luckily I've always managed to get an Acropolis facing room close to the top of the building. Each time I've booked I've requested that in the email and, so far, I've been lucky. It probably helps though that I tend to visit out of season.

The place is immaculately clean, the reception area and coffee shop modern and bright although some of the corridors are a wee bit tired. All that said, I'd happily return.

Bill
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

This is so helpful, I really appreciate your responses! Thanks