Athens hotel with - you guessed it - view of the Acropolis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now I go back to the beginning of the trip - our first two nights in Athens, (early June). We will probably be quite jet-lagged so I'm hoping to be close to the Acropolis and would prefer quiet to night life end of the spectrum. Budget about $200/night. I'm sure this has been posted many times, but your favorites would be most helpful. I've been reading up about the different neighborhoods but it is a little hard to get a feel for what would be best. (and of course if you want to suggest favorite restaurants we won't say no)
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 06:48 PM

Check the Acropolis View Hotel, Attalos Hotel and Plaka Hotel.
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 06:56 PM

Drat! I just wrote a looong post w. suggestions and it disappeared in transmission! I'll be more succinct this time -- and here's my favorite online map to locate my comments/reccommends (click & it gets huuuge): http://www.orangesmile.com/destinati...ns-map-big.jpg

Many people suggest "view" hotels on Syntagma Square area, but I find the traffic horrific no matter how lovely the hotel. Other places on North side of Acropolis are convenient, but a lot of traffic, and some that people like such as Hotel Plaka, have acropolis view only at breakfast terrace -- and many are just off Metropolis St -- handy but busy, and these days alas, many closed-up shops w. security shutters & graffiti ... not a cheery atmosphere, tho hotels themselves are lovely inside.

. Others praise Athens Gate (across from Temple of Zeus (#21 on map). However its on Amalias Ave, a 6-8 lane "speedway" 24/7, so front rooms are noisy. Some back rooms have acrop view, also if you buy breakfast or drinks, does rooftop terrace. However back top rooms, u hear foot & chair noise from rooftop until wee hours.

I prefer the serenity just to right of Acropolis in Plaka or to SOUTH. Most lanes are no-cars, lots of greenery & open space. Top upmarket choice is Boutique HOTEL AVA -- On Lysikrates (find #90 on map walk west a block). TOP reviews by TA, view balconies. HARD to BOOK, you may be too late.

Two other great choices, sister hotels, are just SOUTH -- HOTEL HERODION is right behind Acropolis Museum (#24 on map), ask for higher floor rooms w. balcony view of Acrop -- its rooftop also has same, with NO traffic noice. Just a block farther is HOTEL PHILLIPOS. Regular doubles don't have the view, but you can ask for "Family room" w. pvt balcony, acrop view -- costs a bit more of course, but both thes places less than AVA rates. PHILLIPOS also has rooftop bar w. view.

All 3 of these are just steps from the wonderful no-cars promenade .. late in day, Greek families push their baby carriages up & down, balloon men, toddlers on trikes, and it's wonderful at sunset or by moonlight. I've stayed in Athens now at least 16 times in my 12 trips and now will ONLY stay in this area (I use a little budget gem, just a few meters away from Ava).

For all these, of course check TA reviews, and don't overlook the useful feature on each of "room tips" to get EXACTLY what u want, if possible. But don't dither, june is a popular month & best places are filling up!
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 07:38 PM

Many years ago I stayed at the Intercontinental in Athens and was upgraded to a huge suite with a terrace with a fabulous view of the Acropolis. I just checked and you can get a room at the hotel for about $200 US in the first half of June. It won't be the suite, but if the terrace had that view, there are rooms that do as well.

Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 08:03 PM

If there is anything approaching a budget hotel in Athens with Acropolis view then consider Attalos. it is just steps away from monestraki metro station and its rooftop bar has great acropolis views. Many rooms do as well.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...57632121475515
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 01:17 AM

There is no doubt, Grande Bretagne Hotel is the best hotel in Athens. It is the oldest and grandest in the city, and its luxury is legendary. It is situated in Syntagma Square right in front of the Parliament. From your balcony you can watch the change of the guard, and you will take your breakfast in GB roof garden which has an excellent Acropolis view. It also has a swimming pool with Acropolis view

If you have the money you MUST go there.
(PS I'm Athenian)
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 03:27 AM

I didn't have any problems with noise at Athens Gate, although not saying it doesn't happen. As I recall, my room did not have a view. Breakfast-with-view was included in my rate. As mentioned, the rooftop view also includes a view of the Temple of Zeus opposite the hotel. Interestingly, we arranged with the hotel to allow a native Greek friend to meet us for breakfast so we could catch up, and he was so taken with the views from the rooftop, that he arranged with the hotel to allow him to bring visiting Spaniards he was meeting after breakfast up there to show them the view.

Other than that, we usually stay in other parts of Athens so can't speak to the alternatives. I think I am alone on the planet in not liking the Plaka and Monastraki areas of Athens. Although I fully support Greek democracy and the right to protest, I would not book a hotel opposite the Parliament if I wanted peace and quiet.
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 07:34 AM

You are not alone ... Monastiraki Square is fine to cross, not fine to stay beside. and I also (if you read my post) don't prefer the Plaka area around Syntagma ... the one place in Plaka I named was almost to the South of Acropolis, near the quieter area around the promenade. See maps.

Others have recommended Attalos as a budget hotel, but it is my impression that OP did not ask for same.
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 08:43 AM

I would never stay at the Attalos since the area is so congested. The hotels on the south side of the Acropolis are nicer: Herodion, Divani Acropolis, Acropolis View, Athens Gate, etc. There are others that would have a view as well.

I usually stay at the Phillippos (sister hotel to Herodion & less expensive) but some rooms would not have a view. The Phillippos does not have an outdoor bar but you can use the outdoor bar at the Herodion if you are staying at the Phillippos as I did last October.

The Art Gallery hotel doesn't have a view but is so close that you can be at the Acropolis in five minutes and it is a good budget choice.

The Grand Bretagne is super expensive but the views are nice. You could have cocktails there if you don't want to break the bank.

Some of my friends have gotten deals with the more expensive hotels in that neighborhood - I think they went through travel agents. Have you used the filters on booking.com or tripadvisor to see if the dates and the price come up with the desired price?
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, as always your advice is ever so helpful.
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 05:34 PM

Hotel Attalos-have been staying there for years and cannot recommend it enough. Super reasonable,great views of the acropolis from either a balcony room or rooftop with the bar! Our family even spent New Years Eve there last year while coming back from our Christmas vacation in Crete. It is in a wonderful neighborhood and you can walk everywhere to enjoy the Greek life. You can even take the tube directly from the airport and walk a short block to the hotel or take the tube to the port in 20 minutes.Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com!
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 05:40 PM

I stayed at the Herodian. You can ask for a room with a view. or you can also go to the rooftop terrace and view both the acropolis and the acropolis museum.. really nice at night because they are both lit up

the hotel is quiet.. around the corner is the museum and you can walk to the acropolis.. the metro is nearby as well and the plaka area is close too.