Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Honeymoon Itinerary! Help! Italy & Greece - 18 days!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Bel31

I have never been to Europe before. I am of Italan, FH is Greek. Please help me create an itinerary! What are best places to go and stay at? I'm thinking I would like to go visit Rome, the Amalfi cost and maybe Venezia. In Greece, we would like to visit a few different islands. Any other recommendations for places to visit? I don't know how much time is required for each visit, and the length of time needed for transportation. Please help!

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Bel31

Forgot to mention, we will be traveling during peak season - July 25- Aug 14.

Your help is so greatly appreciated!

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you commit to both be sure to check out the logistics between them. It may not be easy, and may be expensive. I would pick one--it takes 6 weeks to see Italy and at least 3 weeks to see greece. Do not kill yourself on your honeymoon. What time of year may be a factor.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Bel31

bump - any other suggestions?

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:29 PM

I think Bob gave pretty good advice. We spent 12 days in Italy on our honeymoon this past June and will spend another 12 days this coming May. We probably need at least 2 more trips of the same length to see everything we'd like to, and we move pretty fast!

Here are two of my ideas for an 18 day honeymoon

Itinerary One
--if you're into art and history--

4 nights in Rome
3-4 nights in Florence
2-3 nights in Siena (or other Tuscan hill town - explore the vinyards, etc.)
3 nights in Venice
2 nights in Sorrento (see Pompeii and Herculaneum)
3 nights in Positano (relax on the Amalfi Coast, daytrip to Capri if you'd like)

Itinerary Two
--Lots of relaxation--
4 nights - Rome
3 nights - The Cinque Terre (we stayed at Hotel Villa Steno in the town of Monterosso and LOVED it)
3 nights - Lake Como (or other spot in the "Lake Country&quot
3-4 nights - Florence/other hill town
3-4 nights - Venice

We liked Hotel Oceania in Rome, Hotel Villa Steno in the Cinque Terre, and Hotel Europa in Florence (but only if you can get a suite there).

Have fun!!
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Sorry, now I see August. It can be very hot in August in both Italy and Greece, and the AC is not as good as here---I would stay north:
Swiss Alps
Italy Lakes
Venice
Tuscany[maybe]

The Amalfi coast will be very crowded in August, and Rome will be hot.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:58 PM

Bel,
Heed the good advice you've gotten so far. Doing both in 18 day is too much to chew for starters, time of year some parts can be oppressive....thats most of Greece, Rome, Amalfi....not to mention tons of tourists. Head north.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Bel 31, I agree that the period of time you will be on your honeymoon will be pushing it to do both Italy and Greece.
You will no doubt be a bit tired from your wedding (most brides and grooms are), than the overseas flight etc.

Bobthe navigator and Traveler 863 in my opinion have given you very good advice.
Even northern Italy can be hot and humid in July and August but not as bad as Rome and southern Italy.

I have spent time in the Alps, Agordo Italy for a few weeks in August, came down to the area of Veneto and oh my, very hot. But Rome and further south very hot and humid. Even my son-in-law from Rome hates the heat here in the Sacramento Valley, CA but often comments it is nothing like Rome where as he puts it "you can cut the air with a knife".

The Alps, Dolomites, Italian Lakes, area of Veneto, Venice etc, it would seem to me is where you would be the most comfortable, not inudated with shoulder to shoulder tourist (except Venice which is rather true most of the year) and relaxing and romantic.