Need help with Solo Trip to Bordeaux/Basque Region

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miracles do exist! I am finally able to take a true solo trip (not the usual I'll meet up with you mid-trip).
I will be going to France in early June. My rough draft itinerary is Bordeaux and surrounding region for 5 days and then off to Paris.
Since this is the only remaining region in France I have yet to explore, any suggestions on places to see and stay would be greatly appreciated. I would like to explore the region around Bayonne. Only hotel/B&B requirements: Safe area, clean, and private bathroom.
Bus/Train transportation only. I will not be renting a vehicle for this trip.
Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM

The Best Western Grand Hotel in Bayonne is fine and well located. Make sure you ask for a room in one of the two "better" categories. The cheapest rooms are not very attractive and are very small. My room in the middle category was huge with a very large bath..

We liked Bayonne very much.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34894706
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:19 AM

Although my visit to Bayonne was short it is a beautiful city. Of course Chocolates should be on your list of stops while there. Port-Neuf is the street. Le Musee Bonnat on Rue Jacques Laffitte was interesting also. Office De Tourisme De Bayonne (www.bayonne-tourisme.com)has good free information.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:28 AM

parisnow,
I have a description of Bayonne's famous, amazing chocolate scene and the sightseeing highlights in my guide to the Pays Basque that might be of some help to plan your visit.
www.maribelsguides.com

The one DO NOT miss in Bayonne is its really fine Museum of Basque Culture, the Musee Basque, one of the finest ethnographic museums of Europe-just a fascinating walk through Basque history and culture. It can be easily combined with a visit to the excellent Bonnat museum down the street (joint ticket). Musee Basque is closed Mon., Musee Bonnat on Tues.
A day trip on the train from Bordeaux to Bayonne can be a great full day outing. I would try to visit on Saturday if possible when there will be an outdoor farmers' market at Les Halles.

You could also do another full day in gorgeous seaside Biarritz for more chocolate(!!), expansive beaches, great walks out to the Roche de la Vierge and the Musee de la Mer, a longer but very scenic walk up to the lighthouse for superb views of the entire coast, plus Biarritz has great shopping (espadrilles, 64 resort wear, Basque linens and handicrafts), superb food (the covered central markets in both cities certainly shouldn't be missed) and a fine Asian art museum. And if you tire of walking, you have a little tourist train to take you around.
Biarritz info is also included in my guide, and you'll find more info at www.biarritz.fr

The number 1 STAB bus runs from Bayonne to Biarritz and takes 15-20 minutes if you want to combine the two.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:45 AM
ira

Hi P,

If you are including Bayonne as part of your 5 days, I suggest splitting it as 2 nights in Bayonne and 2 in Bordeaux.

Are you interested in visiting vineyards?

You can take the train to Arcachon and the ocean from Bordeaux.

www.voyages-sncf.com offers 25E fares from Bordeaux to Paris.

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM

If you have gone this far to the border, don't forget to take a few more steps and visit San Sebastian. It's the jewel of the Northern part of Spain.

Blackduff
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Hi I,
<Are you interested in visiting vineyards>
Dude it's me. Wine...need I say more.

Ok 3 days Bordeaux to include day of arrival. Should I do 2 in Bayonne or 2 in Biarritz as a base? Not really interested in the beaches. History, culture, scenic views, and shopping. And of course french wine, food, and chocolate!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM

parisnow,
Flip a coin. Only 15-20 min. apart by Stab bus.

Biarritz:
more sophisticated (as in high end) shopping, closer to St.-Jean-de-Luz by bus, livelier market, better but pricier accommodations (we stay at Eduourd VII; friends stay at Clos de Fontaine, others stay at Maison Garnier, all away from the beach but near the shops and market), plenty of chocolate, chocolate museum. Asian art museum.
Galeries Lafayette

Bayonne:
more history (cathedral, fabulous Basque museum, more "Basque-ness&quot,fine arts museum, one decent lodging choice in the center, plenty of chocolate, less expensive all the way around, sleepier during siesta, a hard working, real town.
Galeries Lafayette, Monoprix

While you can sip and buy plenty of Irouleguy wines in both towns, the vineyards are down in Irouleguy and St. Etienne de Baigorry.