Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Basque Country-WHERE? San Sebastian? Biarritz?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I'm planing a 10 day trip to Basque Country, but at this point have very limited information. Can someone help with the itinerary? I'm thinking 5 days in San Sebastian including a day trip to Bilbao and 5 in Biarritz including a day trip to Bordeax. Please help, I don't know which places are worth visiting and if I should throw Bordeax out of the picture since it's not in Basque.
Thanks!

Sergey
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:02 AM

I would not spend 5 days in Biarritz unless I was going to do day trips to the inland Pays Basque or I was planning to go to the beach. What kind of things are you interested in? You can read my report on San Sebastian....click on my name and you will find it.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since Basque covers three countries I would ignore Bordeaux and go to Rioja instead. SOme of the monestries and churches are fine. I think Picos D'Europa is in Castile but if I'm wrong also worth a trip.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Picos de Europa is mostly in Asturias and Cantabria..and a bit in Leon. You could combine it with a trip to the Spanish Basque region and Cantabrian coast. The Basque region spreads over France and Spain...what is the third country? Not Andorra??? I would skip Bordeaux on this trip unless you have a compelling interest in visiting their wineries. Rioja can also be included, instead of Asturias/Cantabria.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:55 AM
LJ

Biarritz is quirky and fascinating but, I agree, probably not worth 5 days. If you do visit, read Nicholas Freeling's last two Castang novels for the atmosphere of the place. And do look for the fresh apricot beignets, a sort of doughnut served hot and dripping with preserves, with or without almonds.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Biarritz itself is quite interesting, as are St. Jean-de-Luz, Bayonne and the surrounding area. You can cover quite a bit of ground in 10 days using either Biarritz or San Sebastian-Donostia/Hondarribia as a base to explore this part of Euskal Herria.

You should download and read Maribel's Guides to both the Pays Basque and País Vasco for a little more insight into this area.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

hmm...cool guys thanks for all the interesting info...so ok no Bordeaux then...as everyone is agreement
the plan is altered a bit since flight is to Madrid..so I guess I would need to travel back and forth to Madrid...but the airfare price is substantialy less than flying to Bilb. or SanSeb....unless you guys can recomend an airline thats cheap for the Madrid-Bilb or San Sab. route?
So lets say I need to spend 2 days in Madrid to travel to and from...that leave 8 days...5 in SanSeb. and 3 in Biarritz...
My interests? Hmm...I like beach and nightlife, but can't stand the americano-british resort towns..i love culture and sightseeing..and great inexpensive food...am not big on supper high-end eateries.
So what do I do for the 5 days in SanSeb and the 3 in Biarritz besides being on the beach and going to Bilbao for a day?

Thanks a bunch

Sergey
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

oh and I don't like churches...you've seen one, you've seen em all...and I have traveled quite a bit in europe
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM

I've stayed in Biarritz twice and once in San Sebastian. I loved San Sebastian and will be going back there next spring. If you're flying to Madrid, you can rent a car. There are some good sites on the way (El Escorial and Segovia to name two) and stay a night in Burgos, a nice city on the river. Great wines from Ribera del Duero! Drive to/through Bilbao and stay in San Sebastian. I agree with the nix on Bordeaux.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

I usually travel with my 20-something friends (I am 26), but this trips is with family..my dad is turning 50...as much as I would love to drive around and stay in a few places...we need to station ourselves in 1-2 places..especially because we will have a 4 year old with us.
Only reason I brought up Bordeaux is because I love being in big cities for a few days before going to a sunny beach destination which both Biarritz and SanSeb are, I think, right? Unfortunately I am not a big fan of Madrid, so that would have been the obvious choice.
What about nixing Biarritz..and going to Bordeaux from SanSeb? I am just worried we will get bored with beachy places are so many days. What do you think?
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you have to be on the coast you could consider staying in Bayonne instead of Biarritz. I used it as a base for day trips by train to Pau, St. Jean de Luz and St. Jean Pied-a-Port. I found it to be a nice, not-especially-touristy town, and ate well.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:53 AM

I agree about Bayonne; we stayed only one night in October and I wish I could have stayed longer and taken day trips. But the OP likes beach and nightlife...no beach in Bayonne and probably not as much nightlife as in Biarritz or San Sebastian.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM

mmmm, I wouldn't call San Sebastian or Biarritz "sunny beach destinations". OK, they are in the summer, but they also can be rainy and windy....
San Sebastian certainly has a beach, but it's not a beach resort, it's not so small and has everything big cities have here including El Corte Ingles deparment store , hahaha. Seriously, if you want to be in a city..San Sebastian has it all.