Search

need help with itinerary for one week in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with itinerary for one week in Ireland

Hi,
Please give me feedback on this itinerary. We are 2 couples and a 17 mo baby. We don't think we can get a car big enough (for a reasonable price) to fit all our stuff so we are planning to take a train from Dublin to Killarney and then rent a car there. So, that means we don't want to switch hotels every night either, but we thought maybe we could leave some luggage in Killarney for one night (maybe at the B&B?). But, driving to Dingle and then having to go back to Killarney to return the car and catch the train seems kind of like a waste of time. Does anyone have any other ideas for how we could do this? Thanks a lot (in advance)!
Ok, here is the plan:
Day 1-Arrive in Dublin, take train to Killarney, sleep in Killarney
Day 2-ROK, sleep in Killarney
Day 3-KNP, sleep in Killarney
Day 4-Drive to Dingle, sleep in Dingle
Day 5-Drive back to Killarney to return car rental, take train to Dublin
Day 6-See Dublin
Day 7-See Dublin
Dy 8-fly home
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM

People do take day trips from Killarney to Dingle. Normally I'd say it's too long a day trip with a 17-month-old (and it still may be), but in this case, I don't really see the purpose in driving to Dingle just to turn right back around the next day and come back. If your toddler does well in the car, why not just do a day trip?

When are you going? That's important - in June you will have very long days, but in November, very short. That would definitely affect advice here, I think.

For whatever it's worth, I would reverse the order of your trip and do Dublin first. I think it would be a long day, especially with a toddler, to take an overnight flight and then deal with the hassle of finding another hotel. Plus I would prefer to get completely over jet lag before trying to drive.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>We don't think we can get a car big enough (for a reasonable price) to fit all our stuff so we are planning to take a train from Dublin to Killarney and then rent a car there</i>"

That doesn't make sense to me. Any small/medium estate car (what Americans call a station wagon) or mid sized sedan should easily hold two couples+toddler+assorted luggage. Sure seems simpler than faffing about w/ multiple trains/car rental/leaving luggage/taking luggage/etc.

If you can't fit it in an estate -- you're taking waaaaay too much "stuff".
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. We are going in July, so I guess we will have the benefit of long days. We aren't arriving on an overnight flight, so it seems like it might be ok to travel to Killarney that day. I'll look into an estate car, but I know that 4 adults and a car seat will be tight in any car, and most can't hold 4 suitcases plus stroller.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Then get a people mover - Like a Toyota Previa or whatever their mini van is called now.

I've taken two over-packing couples w/ three sets of golf clubs -- so 5 adults, 3 huge suitcases, 1 medium bag, my teensy rollaboard, 3 golf bags, and their carryons. It was a snug fit but worked. You shouldn't have half that much stuff . . . .