Need help with hotels in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just found out that my husband and I will be spending 5 days in Rome in mid-February. Having never been there, I could use suggestions on places to stay. We like B&B's but would be willing to stay in any mid-range hotel. ($100-150) Are there areas we should avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you have any other pointers for visiting Rome, that would be fabulous!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:13 AM

If the Nicolas Inn is available it would be ideal - the location is very central (two blocks from the Colosseum), the B&B is VERY clean, and the price is right (or at least it was for us at 150 Euros/night for two - but we were there in late September).The web site is: http://www.nicolasinn.com/index.asp. By the way, it has been ranked by Trip Advisor as one if the top, if not THE top, B&B in Rome.

KC
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I always recommend the Hotel San Carlo. Clean place, friendly staff, wonderful location.

http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/

They respond best to faxes, but if you have questions, phone them.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I have a couple other questions, if you don't mind...With 5 days there, should we narrow down what we can reasonably try to see in that time frame? I have no idea how long it takes to get through some of the sights like the colosseum, Vatican City and the like. Also, have you used the metro lines there? Are they okay, or if we are not walking should we take a cab?
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

There are two Metro lines, A & B, and they cross like a giant X. They are very easy to use. A lot of how involved you are in what sights you'll see will determine the amount of time you want to spend there. Cabs are plentiful and reasonable, and there are "cab stands" throughout Rome, where folks do queue up for a cab.

A general rule of thumb is that the Vatican, including the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica, will take you at least half a day. If you should decide to go to the Galleria Borghese, those tickets have times on them, so you won't be spending more than 2 hours there. I think you can do the Forum (or the Forae), the Colloseum and the church St. Peter in Chains in a half day easily.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Stay in central Rome. Then you can walk everywhere. For hotels look at www.tripadvisor.com for reviews and www.venere.com for maps and reviews.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM

We have stayed twice at the Alimandi (www.Alimandi.com). It's about 75 yards from the entrance to the Vatican Museum, and it has a friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and a quiet location. Last summer it was 140 Euro per night; I don't know if the rates are lower in February. After a long day the rooftop bar is most refreshing. It's never crowded, and sometimes you have to bring your beer or wine up from the lobby, but that's part of the fun....don't know how nice it will be in February. It's very easy to spend a whole day at the Vatican, so you'll be conveniently located for that part of any travel. The Alimandi will pick you up at the airport and return you to the airport (no charge for that service), so that's a big plus. You are not in the center of Rome, but you can take the metro (a few blocks away) or walk (forty-five minutes along the Tiber and through interesting neighborhoods). Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM

I second the Nicolas Inn. 5 of us stayed there for 3 nights in late May. The triple I shared was 140 euros at that time, with a good breakfast.

We liked the location near the Forum and many bus lines. We walked most places, (we like to walk, though)except the Vatican, which was a short bus ride away.

It is on a busy street, which worried me at first, but my fears faded once we were inside. The rooms were comfortable and contemporary, a surprise in such an old building, and also quiet enough, thanks to excellent soundproof windows.

The owners Melissa and Francois are very helpful -- she is American and he is multilingual. All their restaurant and other suggestions were very good. I would stay there again; as a matter of fact, friends are booked there for August (already could not get one night of their stay booked, but I think Feb would be much easier).

Have a great time.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I'm checking into the Nicholas Inn to see if it's available as we speak. My husband really wanted to stay around the Colusseum and the Forum, so that fits right in with our plans!