Reload this Page >

Help us plan our day in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Kitty

We are on a one day excursion to Rome from a cruise ship in June and will be left to make our own way round the sights. We will be dropped off near St Peter's and would like to visit the Colosseum, Piazzo Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and end up back at St Peters. We are thinking about getting a taxi from St Peters to the Colosseum - will that be easy and do you have any diea of cost? We will then be able to see the other sights mentioned on foot in the six hours or so that we have available? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Rex

I wouldsuggest deleting Piazza Navona if your time is (presumably) all daylight hours - - it is just not nearly as cool as night time.<BR><BR>Call me a heretic, but I might recommend dropping actually going into the Colosseum; it will cost you an hour, and that time would be better spent - - in my opinion - - at the Vatican Museums.<BR><BR>And I would rate the Pantheon clearly higher than the Spanish Steps - - also a better fit with Trevi Fountain (though not much different - - 200 yards versus 400 yards); Pantheon + Trevi equals 1 hour; St Peters equals one hour; Vatican museum should be your first stop (90+ minutes), assuming you arrive before noon.<BR><BR>I suspect that you will still be able to fit in 30+ minutes AT the Colosseum; there is much to enjoy there even if you never actually go in to see inside.<BR><BR>Taxis are easy and affordable in Rome; never get in one without a meter. I have never had a taxi ride in Rome exceed 10 (US) dollars.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:50 PM
ttt

topping, for Kitty<BR>

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:45 PM
xxx

Not go in the Colosseum? really?<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Kitty

For us the Colosseum is number one site to visit, followed by the other three mentioned above - we would love to do St Peters and the Vatican, but time would not permit on this trip. It looks as if we may not see everything we would like to.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Ken

We are planning to take a similar cruise and a day excursion to Rome this Summer. I found out that Rome Citytourbus 110 is quite useful for us. Please check the website, WWW.romavision.com. It has a detail map to show where it goes, pretty much everywhere in your list. It costs 12.91 Euro for "Stop&Go". It runs from 9am to 6pm every 30 minutes. Hope this help.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:45 AM
dan woodlief

I would see St. Peters and skip the Vatican Museums, as great as they are, with one day. You will save some time by using taxis, and this is probably your best option, but the subway is another option for part of the journey. St. Peters is 10-15 minutes from a stop or two, and there is a stop right across the street from the Colosseum. You can get a decent view of the Forum from the Colosseum upper level if you decide not to walk through it. I would then recommend the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. The Spanish Steps are ok but not a necessity in my opinion. I agree with Rex about Piazza Navona. It is nice during the day but not nearly as interesting as at night. The Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain are not too far off the metro line if you decide to return to St. Peters that way. I honestly can't remember whether there were many taxis around the Vatican but I would think so. <BR><BR>Ken's bus suggestion also sounds like a good idea.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Kitty

Thanks for all your suggestions - the no 110 bus looks good and might be just what we want and we may be able to fit everything in after all.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Ken

Hi, Kitty,<BR><BR>I am glad that you found the 110 tourbus to be useful for you. We will be taking RCL Splendour of the Sea in August. Originally, we were considering to book a similar excursion from the ship that will drop us at St Peters. It will cost us $79/person. I searched this site (keyword: Civitavecchia) and found that many peoples suggested to take the train. I found the train timetable at www.civitavecchia.com and have decided to take either 7:38 or 7:54 train into Rome. It will get to Rome at 8:48 or 9:18 am. The return trip will be 16:02 or 16:38 and will arrive civitavecchia at 16:57 or 17:48. The round trip fare will be 13.94 Euro (about $12.50). The walk from the ship to train station as many peoples said is about 10 to 20 minutes depending where the ship docks.<BR>Hope this helps. Ken