need help with hotel in Madrid

Oct 17th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

need help with hotel in Madrid

Would appreciate comments on a few hotels in Madrid - I just can't decide ... HELP!
De Las Letras
Derby Villa Real
Westin Palace
Oct 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM

The Hotel De Las Letras, an Epoque Hotel, is located on the busy Gran via. Itís stylish and should be a little less expensive than the Villa Real and Palace, but it would not be my first choice. Both the Villa Real and Palace are a little nicer and well located in the center of the museum triangle.
Oct 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
car

I will personally stay in ®Derby Villa Real and use the Westin Palace bar or just nearby.
The Hotel de las Letras i donīt know the inside but the location as mentioned is not perfect.
I will have a look at Hotel Urban,same ownership as Derby and Claris in Barcelona, very near Villa Real and Westin.
Oct 18th, 2006, 01:59 AM

Sorry to disagree with you both about the Hotel de Las Letras. We stayed there at Easter and found it be excellent. It only opened last year converting an old office building into a superb "boutique" 4 star hotel. Our ultra modern room complete with plasma screen tv was huge with a balcony overlooking a side street off Gran Via. It has a wonderful restaurant which also serves one of the best buffet breakfasts I have eaten. The location may not seem very central, but Plaza Mayor is only 10 minutes walk away and you have the added bonus of having the main shopping street on your doorstep. Also, we only paid a room rate of Euros 105 per night which for a city centre 4 star hotel is excellent value. We are off to Paris next week and are struggling to find anything under Euros 130 for a 2 star hotel.
Oct 18th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Hi

Don't know what your budget is but to complicate your choices there is the uber cool Urban Hotel - http://www.derbyhotels.es/eng/urban_in.htm. (I could see the foyer through the large windows). I walked past the Westin and it looked really beautiful. Their website suggests the interior is great too. It really depends what you're looking for - funk v flair. I hope this helps.
Oct 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM
begbie

hi
try having a look at the following link to get more of an idea of what there is available:
http://destinia.com/hotels/hotels--i...europe/2271/en
madrid has plenty of hotels so you neednt limit yourself to a few.

Oct 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM

DMary,
I've seen the interiors and sample rooms at the 4 hotels mentioned above.

My favorite location downtown is the area btwn. Plaza Neptuno and Plaza Cibeles, so I would vote for the Derby Villa Real or the much larger Westin Palace on location alone. We usually stay nearby at the Gran Hotel Canarias, of similar quality.

The Derby Villa Real's rooms are slowly being renovated, floor by floor. The fifth floor duplex suites, 514 and 517 are simply great, and the suites with terrace have also been redone.

We've had friends stay at the Urban, and the desk staff has given us a complete tour. The trendy lobby is quite impressive, really stunning, as is the Glass Bar and the Europa Decó restaurant where we had New Year's dinner. But the standard doubles are surprisingly compact, and the jr. suites are the same size as standard doubles as its sister the Derby Real. The Derby Real's rooms seem more spacious because of their split level arrangement with sleeping area at the top and sitting area with sofa on the ground level.

I really liked what I saw at the De Las Letras, as the rooms are quite ample in size and baths have double sinks. Lots of style for the price. I'm just not a big fan of the Gran Vía, particularly the area around Calle Montera, but the De Las Letras is located one block below, on the best stretch of this very busy thoroughfare, next to the Adolfo Domínguez designer boutique, where the fin de siecle buildings' facades have been nicely restored.

I have notes of all of the above in the hotel section (last section) of Madrid file that you can read here:
www.maribelsguides.com
Oct 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input.
we have reservations at De Las Letras because of the great reviews on TripAdvisor.... but the photos of the rooms looked stark and a bit bare....not to be a snob but we or I should say, I, more so than my husband, am more into comfy beds, clean, upscale beds, etc, etc.
I've seen the Derby Villa Real listed as just Villa Real - is it the same? Also reviews of the Westin Palace have been mixed from low to high.
Oct 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

correction.... upscale BATHS!... SORRY.
Oct 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM

As Maribel mentioned, I would go with the Gran Hotel Canarias, which is centrally located and around the corner from the Villa Real (yes, it's a Derby hotel). The Gran Hotel Canarias has great beds, upscale baths and is very quiet and comfortable. Some of the rooms are a little smaller than I like, but the inside rooms are large enough.

If you want a little more room, then the Villa Real has slightly larger double rooms, is again very comfortable and the staff is attentive.
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I, too, stayed at De Las Letras a few weeks ago. The room was fantastic -- clean, spacious and quite comfortable. The BEST bathroom I've ever had in Europe. It was within easy walking distance to shopping, museums & Plaza Mayor. The staff was also quite friendly and helpful. I highly recommend it!
Oct 20th, 2006, 09:25 AM

i stayed at the villa real in early september.i'm pretty sure this hotel is in fact the derby villa real- i believe the urban hotel is also owned by the derby chain. our room on the 4th floor was fairly large, especially by european standards. as maribel says, the split-level arrangement makes the room seem more spacious than it is: a couple of steps lead down from the sleeping area to the sitting area, which has a love seat facing the desk and a regular sized -non plasma-TV and windows which look out onto the lovely little square/garden. the marble bathroom seemed a little newer and funkier than the room itself and had a cool metallic mesh amenity kit with own-brand lotion, soap and shampoo. we loved the very central location, the boutique hotel atmosphere and the greco-roman mosaics on display, but i have to say the rooms felt a bit tired...that renovation is much needed! my parent had a room on a lower floor-the third if i remember correctly- with a tiny little balcony with the same view of the hall of the congress of the deputies and the little garden below. it was great to look out at madrilenos walking their dogs, sitting on the benches passing the time of day. the prado, the ritz and the puerta del sol were a short walk away. we also passed the urban hotel on our way to the plaza del sol and had a look inside- very glam and modern-- could be in LA, really. after spending a morning at the prado, we walked to the restaurant attached to the gran canaria for lunch and sat outside under the umbrellas, which proved to be a great spot for people watching as we sipped sangria!
Oct 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I have stayed at the Derby Villa Real several times, the last time this past August. I love its location and the front desk staff is very helpful and nice. I haven't been in any of the refurbished rooms but the "old" ones I have been in I find very good. I specially like all the storage area. The bathroom is not huge but it is modern and totally aceptable.