Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid Hotel Recommendation for elderly parents

Jan 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I'm helping my elderly parents make some reservations for trip this May. Can you please recommend a hotel. Need centrally located, full service hotel with restaurant. Room w/ walk in shower would be best, but I know that's sometimes hard to find. Elevator or ground floor mandatory. Accomodating staff who will help w/ taxi, reservations, etc. Spa services not really necessary. $300-400, preferably. Thanks, annie

Jan 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM

sweetannie,
Since our favorite 4 star Gran Lux hotel, the Gran Canarias, has closed, I'll recommend the 5 star Derby Villa Real, in the same area, an unbeatable location across from Parliament and near the Prado.

Rates for the Villa Real in general have gone up in 08 but I see weekend rates in May for 205€

The Villa Real meets all your requirements for full (and very good) service, it has a nice restaurant plus casual brasserie, elevator, accommodating staff used to older clients. It gets a loyal (and older) client base who wouldn't stay anywhere else.

My first thought was the 5 star Westin Palace across the street, but I don't see rates in that range at all in May.
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel. I'll look at both hotels. I think they may have some Starwood points (Westin?) so we'll check them out.
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM

sweetannie,
Yes, if they have Starwood Points, also consider using them at the 5 star Westin Palace with its top flight concierge staff, some who have been at that desk forever. Dining there, however, will be more expensive, but the Villa Real Restaurant and Cafe are literally across the square.
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM

sweetannie, I have just returned from the Villa Real and caution you, depending on your parents physical condition, that the Villa Real does have a small set of stairs (perhaps 4) leading to the elevator. To be honest, I do not recall if there was also a ramp leading to the elevator. As I understand it, most, if not all, of the rooms are "split level," with 2 steps leading to a small sitting room.

This may pose no issue at all for your parents, but I know it would for my arthritic mother.
Jan 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM

sweetannie,
No, there isn't a ramp that I recall for those steps leading to the elevator, and as Iregeo reminds us, most of the rooms are split level, with those 2 steps down to the sitting area.
We did see one type of room that isn't split level, but I can't recall which. I would ask about a handicapped room, if those two steps are an issue.

The top floor Villa Real suites are duplexes, which wouldn't be appropriate, as one needs to climb several steps to the sleeping quarters.

Just another note about the Westin-I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the hotel because they were so kind and helpful to my parents on their final trip to Madrid (mom was arthritic).
Jan 17th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

The Westin sounds like it fits the bill. Price really is the least determining factor on this trip. At 87, you might as well enjoy all you can.
Jan 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM

sweetannie,
Bless their hearts for being able to travel to Europe at 87! Yes, the Westin Palace is perfect.
Jan 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Maribel, but I donīt remember a ramp at the entrance of the Palace, and there are a lot of stairs from reception to the lifts and the coupoule restaurant.

What do you think of the Ritz? I like it more.

Rgds, Cova
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM

cova,
I was also thinking about the couple of steps at the front door and up to the front desk at the Palace, but I imagine they can accommodate with temporary ramps if needed. La Rotonda may have an elevator from the guest floors. The Palace does have handicapped accessible rooms, so there is a way. I would simply email the GM with a note to that effect.

I didn't mention the Ritz because of the higher tariff (305 euros on weekends and 525 weekdays) and higher dining costs.

I've been fortunate to have stayed at both.
Yes, at the Ritz there are no steps at the front door and no steps into the Goya Restaurant. Just the staircase to get down to the garden terrace, which can also been accessed from the street with another entrance on the Prado Museum side.

In short, both the Palace and the Ritz are very used to making the appropriate concessions for their guests' comfort, but if absolutely no steps are a criterion for sweetannie's parents, then they should consider the Ritz on the other side of the Plaza.
Jan 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Maribel -when did the Gran Canarias close?I have vouchers to stay there in June.First the Suecia and now the Gran Canarias.......
Jan 18th, 2008, 11:13 AM

chapla,
The Gran Canarias closed on Jan. 10. Funny you mention vouchers...I had a Halcon Viajes voucher to stay at the Gran Canarias as well (at an incredibly great rate!) on Feb. 5. They've refunded my money.
Feb 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM

sweetannie,
While in Madrid this past week, I had a chance to stop at the Westin Palace and ask the concierge about handicapped access. Yes, there is indeed a way to avoid the steps. Guests with limited mobility can enter the side door at Calle Duque de Medinacelli (where the taxis stand in line) and go up to the Rotunda and their rooms via the service elevator.
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM

We stayed at the Westin Palace a few years ago and got a very good deal by bidding on it on the auction site, "Luxury Link". We got three nights and a free dinner for, I believe, $300/night. It's a lovely hotel and perfectly located.
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Maribel since you were just there, do you know what is going to open in the spot of the Hotel Gran Canarias?
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM

whoops please disregard just saw your other post.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Maribel, muchas gracias! I will tell my folks. Annie