need help with a hotel in helsinki

Jul 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

need help with a hotel in helsinki

I am planning a trip and will spend 2 nights in Helsinki. Does anyone have a suggestion which hotel to choose?
Pam L1
Jul 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM

We stayed at the Scandic Hotel Marski on our last trip to Helsinki. It is close to Stockmans Dept Store, within walking distance of the harbor markets. Actually we walked everywhere in Helsinki - to see the Sebilus Monument, the church etc. There is a Hessburger restaurant just a short distance from the hotel - is very popular in Finland and similar to our McDonalds but better.
The first time in Helsinki we stayed at Hotel Anna which is not as convenient or as nice a hotel.
You could check with www.nordicsaga.com as we got better rates through them for Hotel Marski.
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM

we are most probably heading to helsinki too on the way to russia next year
i think it was Faus here who recommended Gasthaus Omapohja

i looked up the site and it seemed quite nice
their number is +358 09 666 211

(i think they were asking 92 euros per night)

other tips ive picked up is not to go further than the olympic stadium or pitkasilta so that you can still tour easily...
but im hoping that someone who's actually been there will be able to respond
thanks bratsandbeer...ill check out the scandic hotel marski as well...we want something handy to the sights since we dont intend on staying too long...want to get over to talinn (if time permits) from helsinki and then later ferry it to stockholm
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM

split is under- rated and we nearly didnt explore it
i had to twist my OH's arm to sail back to split for the night rather than stay at another marina
we're both glad for the twisting
at first approach it's ugly with the 60s style of apartments but the harbourside is charming and by night is quite beautiful with the lights and the cafes and people walking about
i loved the palace..it was splendid to see people just sitting about the ruins eating lunch or just going about their day
i loved the church there and the beautiful singing one mass
the markets beneath are something worthy of a look too

lots of fun places to eat- although i couldnt find a coffee to my liking but then what can you say about someone who drinks instant lol
id not stay in split..id stay in trogir which is closer to the airport actually and very quaint
you can have a look at split for a day and spend an afternoon night and morning in trogir
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:14 AM

We took the Silja night ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm. Do not miss the dinner buffet. It was wonderful.

We enjoyed having coffee at the Cafe Kafka on Esplanadi.