Search

Helsinki??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Paige

Helsinki??

Hello! We're contemplating a trip to Helsinki for 4 days late in May. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel for under $100US? What part of town is the best to stay in? Is it possible to do a day trip to Tallinn? Thanks for your help!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:29 AM
amy

Paige, <BR><BR>Don't know if you have personal reasons for wanting to go to Helsinki, but you should do a search on here for previous forums. Many of us have stated that Helsinki is a bit of a disappointment. Personally, I can't imagine filling 4 days there, even with a day trip. Not trying to persuade you, but don't want you to be let down. Again, if you check previous posts you will get other opinions.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Nancy

We stayed at the Anna Hotel on Annakatu and thought it was a nice inexpensive hotel within walking distance to town. We liked Helsinki alot especially during the summer when it is light dusk all night long. Best Russian restaurant in and outside of Russia is there too: Alexander Nevski. We rented a car and drove around southern Finland.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Marc David Miller

Tallinn is an inexpensive and easy day trip<BR><BR>www.inyourpocket.com<BR><BR>has much information.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 03:28 PM
rita schmidt

Hello,<BR> I stayed in a nice place a few years<BR>back, Hotel Rita, I believe..it was very<BR>close to the harbor/city center..I liked<BR>Helsinki very much...the rock church,<BR>the Russian catheral, the art deco train<BR>station, etc..I also went to Tallin..<BR>you should stay a day or two..I also went<BR>my train to St Petersburg...it can easily<BR>be arranged at the station at has an area<BR>just for travel to Russia...I would probably book a tour from Helsinki just<BR>because the city is large and there is<BR>so much to see it can be overwhelming,<BR>BUT well worth the effort...I don't know<BR>when you are going...I am planning a trip<BR>to Norway, Sweden, Finland in May...onto<BR>the Baltic countries and then so to Germany...Good luck, if you have time<BR>write..A fellow traveller, Rita<BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Karen

We also stayed at the Anna Hotel and they have a web site. We made our reservations via e-mail. Very nice for the money. We loved Helsinki and are going back in September. We walked everywhere from Anna Hotel with no problems. Walk to the tourist office and they can tell you how to purchase a round trip ticket for Tallin. We took a taxi to the old town in Tallin from the dock but it is a short walk to the old town and we did not need to hire a taxi. We enjoyed our day in Tallin very much but you must watch the young Russian boys who may have an eye on your camera. This happened to us and we just kept our eye on them and they left. Be sure to stop at Stockmans Department Store. They have the best socks for women. All signage is in Finnish, Swedish and English so there is no problem with language and also many people speak English in Finland.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Lorene

We, too, have stayed at the Anna Hotel. In my opinion is the best for the money in all of Helsinki. The price includes a very authentic and delicious Finnish breakfast. Try the Lapland restaurant -- excellent food from up north. Don't forget to visit the Arabia factory for good buys on Finnish souveniers. The city bus tour is excellent, especially to get an idea of what you might want to see in more detail the next day. We are going back at the end of August for two weeks but will not be staying in Helsinki the whole time. Have a wonderful trip!!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Lian

While you're there do take a look inside the Kiasma Museum with its many interesting modern artworks. With 4 days available, perhaps you may like to venture further into Finland and explore the countryside famous for its many lakes.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:06 PM
Lea

I've been to Helsinki and Tallinn numerous times. Four days in Helsinki is a long time ... The city doesn't really have a lot of old buildings, etc. The oldest tend to be from the 19th century. Not old, when compared to other European cities. Finland was, however, part of Imperial Russia, so that may explain that part. I tend to like Hotel Torni. It's smack downtown, close to the big department stores, has an excellent morning buffet, etc. If you have time, a ferry to Soumenlinna from the harbour by the market would be a pleasant outing, especially on a sunny day!<BR><BR>Tallinn is gorgeous! Go there! It's got a very gorgeous old town. What a contrast to Helsinki - and considerably cheaper. It was part of the Germany-based Hanseatic league, a trading league about 500 (?) years ago. You should definitely take the hydrofoil. The trip will be quick! A day trip on one of the other ships isn't worth it. It'll be cheaper, but you'll spend most of the time travelling to and from Helsinki. <BR><BR>Tallinn has great souvenirs - hand-knit sweaters, amber jewelry, etc. - all a great value.<BR><BR>Are you really set on Helsinki? Stockholm, Sweden is gorgeous. The city has the feel of one that once was the capital of an empire. (Sweden dominated the Baltic Sea in the 17th C.) Over-night ferries will also take you to Tallinn.<BR><BR>Enjoy!