Need Help w/Basel and surroundings

Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help w/Basel and surroundings

My wife and I will be visiting Basel in June and Aug (approx 1 week each) and I'd love to hear from you folks to be sure that I don't miss out on any particularly interesting to-do's while there. I'm getting a decent handle on the well published attractions, but I know there's always more to hear from you seasoned ones.

These visits involve medical treatments so we won't get involved in anything that requires too much physical activity. Easy day-trips (including into Germany or France) may be of interest, but I am trying to focus on Basel so as not to miss what will be under my nose. It's a rare European city that cannot captivate you and my sense is that Basel is no exception.

Many Thanks
Dave
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 01:28 PM

The music museum in the old jail on the hill overlooking the Barfüsserplatz.

The Vitra Chair museum in Weil.

The Fondation Beyerler

The Historical Museum with period rooms, a collection of antique watches, old store signs in the basement and doll houses in the attic.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM

I think you will want to do a couple of day trips. Basel is cute (have been there MANY times on business) but the sidewalks roll up at 7 pm and the sights in the town are limited. IMHO Switzerland is really about the alps - and you can certainly see a lot of them without any hiking or special exertion.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM

I have a page on Basel on Virtualtourist.com with lots of things to see and do. Here is the link:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a919b/

I would do day trips to Freiburg, Germany, Mulhouse and Colmar in France but also to nearby places in Switzerland. Augusta Raurica comes to my mind, the Jura mountains also (St. Ursanne e.g.). You won't run out of things to do.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:48 PM

I did a short trip report on basel. you can click on my name and find it easily under trip reports or search here for more in the upper box.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the input and links to detail. There will be a second visit in Aug and I'm expecting better mobility then. Likely will save some Day Trips for then.