Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Re getting home should our flight take off to Rome on Thurs-R U concerned?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of you traveling soon...how worried are you about getting home should you make it to Europe? My DH is concerned...we're flying home from Rome May 8 and he's ready to cancel because of becoming stranded...needs to be back to work on May 10. Told him we don't have a choice to cancel if our outbound flight goes. I have insurance but if we cancel we loose everything we've paid for.

So just wondering who's doing what with their plans.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 03:36 AM

travelfan1:

I have the same concern about being stranded. I am scheduled to fly back from Rome on May 16 after two weeks in Italy. There is no guarantee. The situation at Da Vinci airport could remain relatively stable, with some takeoffs and landings. Or Rome could be beset by major problems if the volcanic activity increases, especially if that other volcano, now dormant, blows.

I changed one of my hotels to minimize the financial damage if I am penalized for canceling my trip. I'm going to wait until a few days before I leave (on May 2) before I make a decision. But there is still the major question about the return. I can't possibly know what will happen during the two weeks I'm in Italy. I too need to get back to work, And I don't welcome the added expenses (hotels, meals, etc.), let lone the stress, if I get stranded. All of us in this situation have to weigh the individual pros and cons of going on the trip versus canceling.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:14 AM

We leave for Rome on April 25 and return on May 5 and we are somewhat concerned about getting back. The extra expense would certainly hurt us and we both have to be back at work. We are doing some research now as to alternatives if this should happen to us. We will probably spend less money while we are there on this trip just in case we do get stranded and need to spend extra funds for hotels and food or transportation back. Also looking into alternative hotels just in case we are not able to extend our stay at the hotel we are booked at for the main portion of the trip. We will be watching the news carefuly while there to see what the volc
ano is doing so if something happens we might pick up and come home early to avoid flight closures if there is enough notice. All of these things are in the back of our mind just in case. We won't be cancelling the trip but also watching to see if something happens that will keep us from getting a flight in. If that is the case we will just rebook for next fall and get on with it.

Here's wishing everyone good luck and a safe flight. J
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:25 AM

That's what's nice about being retired. Stranded no big deal! Most of the hotels will have rooms as the incoming guest can't get there!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:32 AM

I am worried about getting there. We are leaving May 4th via Frankfort to Italy. We used miles for our flight.

I am wondering if I should invest an extra $1,800 to purchase us a flight direct to Italy? or take my chances that Frankfort will be open on the 4th?

Not too worried about getting back. My husband was laid off three weeks ago and my job is pretty flexible. The cat sitter does have to leave by the 16th though (we are scheduled to stay to the 15th). The neighbors have offered to take care of them until we can get back (if we do get stranded) but they really hate to be alone!!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM

I think you are all worrying too much. Things are returning to normal now, slowly but surely. The volcano is now spewing lava and less ash, which is a good thing.

If you are flying with a European airline then they have to provide you with food, drink and accommodation under EU law.

Anything could happen between now and then so stop worrying. Who is to say that Etna won't decide to blow her top while you are in Italy? You can't predict these things, and can't protect yourself from them, short of never leaving home.
Go, and enjoy your holidays.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:52 AM

@jdraper Looks like my wife and I (and 10 month-old daughter) are going to be on the same Delta flight to Rome on Sunday. We are watching things same as you are. I think everything should be ok since Rome seems to not have had any significant problems.

We will be with baby toward back I think - actually looks like we are in coach row 13 if we can't get the "baby bassinet bulkhead row".

];')
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM

I am worried about getting TO Paris but being stuck in Paris is a dream come true!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM

rbnwdlr - that's just how I feel about it! Last week all I did was lament that I wasn't "stuck" in Paris
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM

rbnwdlr - Exactly!

As long as I can get to Rome, getting out of Italy and back to my job will be the last thing on my mind.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM

@susoir - That is exactly what my wife and I were thinking!

];')
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM

I have a co-worker who said the other day, "I would never go to Europe now. What if you got stuck there. How awful." And as everyone nodded in agreement, I thought, "Is she crazy???"
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
PJK

We are in a similar boat. Our flight is directly into Rome, but our return is out of Pisa (on the 10th) to London and then on home from London on the 14th. While it is a nice thought to be "stuck" in Europe, I am not sure the reality would be so great. It is the hassle that delays cause that may keep me from enjoying my trip. Will I be watching every day to see if the next eruption has taken place? If so, should I just stay in the Midwest where it is beautiful right now? I have been to Europe lots of times, so this is not a "once in a lifetime" trip, but it is one I have planned for almost a year. PJK
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM

We leave on a Delta flight to rome on 4/23 - not concerned about returning!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM

My daughters and I were just daydreaming about what we will get to do if we get stranded. Sounds like an opportunity to me!! We don't go to Europe until June, so all will probably be fine by then, but now we can at least dream about getting an extra week in Europe.