Need help to plan a trip in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go to Italy in Feb 2011. I only got 7 days in Italy. I will fly to Rome, and leave in Venice. And I plan to drive. I plan to go to Siena, Piza, Florence, Venice & Verona. Is it a tight schedule? Any experienced people can tell me a good plan in order to save time?
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your thread is tagged Germany. Maybe the editors can change it.

Yes, that's too tight of schedule for only 7 days. How many hotel nights do you have?

I would spend a few nights in Rome, train to Florence (you can daytrip from there to Pisa or Siena) for a few nights, train to Venice.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 10:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not only is that a 'tight schedule' - by car it is just about impossible.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes very tight, the easy visit would be based Rome, FLorence, Venice as described above and can easily be done by train. In February the days are still short and it will be cold/wet.

Pisa is great just to visit the tower area which is packed with tourist trash but you can get great photos of people holding the tower up. Siena is a better visit with wonderful buildings

www.trenitalia.it gives you the timeings. Hotels will hold lugage for you and to save the daylight hours I might try to travel in the evenings
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 01:12 AM

You could of course do it by car, but you'll spend a long time behind the wheel.

Rome to Florence (for Florence and Siena)is about 180 miles and will take around 3 and a half hours

Florence to Pisa is about 80 miles and at least 2 hours

Pisa to verona is c200 miles and about 3 and a half hours

Verona to Venice is around 80 miles and two and a half hours

You have five stops and a lot to see in each place and I think that your itinerary is too demanding. You could spend a week in Rome and not see it all. However, if you want to get a flavour of Italy, then:

Rome
Florence
Venice

You'll feel thoroughly Italian after those three!
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 02:38 AM

Go a lot you are trying to cram too much in 1 week.

Have a read with a good guidebook like Fodors Gold Guide

Pare back for better experience

Rome Florence Venice several days in each for me.

Train city centre to city centre far better

cheaper than car rental for me.

www.eurocheapo.com excellent food city guides

Happy Journey,
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Florence to Pisa is more like 80km and an hour (but I'd definitely use the train)
Florence to Siena is 75-90 minutes by bus (Parking in Siena is often tricky and expensive)
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
(Parking in Siena is often tricky and expensive) x2
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Probably what you need to do is sit down and write out your itinerary:
Day 1 ....
Day 2 ...

And be sure to insert realistic travel times in between. I think you'll see pretty quickly that you're on overload. I'm wondering if you really have a full 7 days. Are you counting arrival and departure days? If so, you really only have 6. With that amount of time, consider yourself lucky if you have time just for Rome/Florence/Venice.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Seven days a max of 3 home bases and with winter conditions those better be Rome-Florence-Venice. There, you are done. Start researching hotels and train routes; you do not have the time to dilly-dally you seem to think you do....
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Seven days including days to fly in and out? Forget about it, it's insane. I agree with Lifeman recommendation of Rome, Florence and Venice (and believe me, you'll still be in overload!). Assuming you have 7 nights I would do 3 nights Rome, 2 nights Florence, 2 nights Venice.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 07:07 AM

It's too tight but at least do Rome and Florence. My husband and I used Artisans of Leisure to plan our 3 week trip to Italy last year. They were expensive but did a good job.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Do you already have your tickets into Rome and out of Venice? If so, I would follow the guidance of cruiseluv, recognizing that you will still spend a half day changing cities. The trains are so convenient and with that itinerary you will have no need for a car.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM

So far no one has mentioned the fact that driving in the cities is congested, confusing to the newcomer, and in some places is prohibited! It's called a traffic limitation zone and if your car is photographed in the ZTL you will bet a hefty fine on your credit card months later, plus a big charge from the rental car agency for processing. Do not plan on driving.

The other advice here is on the mark. You can't do your original plan in seven days. Rome, Florence, Venice is just possible.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Absolutely agree. No car. Usually, arrival in Rome is early am. Do Day 1-2-3 in Rome. Travel by train early morning of Day 4 to Florence. Spend Day 4 and Day 5 in Florence. Take late train on day 5 to Venice. Spend Day 6 and Day 7 in Venice.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM

Seven days means two places. It takes a day to get a handle on Rome, ditto for Venice. You can't "see" three places in seven days.

But you can tick the box that says "I've been to Rome" in a day. But you'll have seen very little, and know even less.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM

I think this and other posts like it are trolls. I don't think your generosity should be squandered!
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Christine, I see you are a new poster. From your Profile I think perhaps you live in Asia. If not where will you be flying from?

You will no doubt have jetlag when you arrive in Rome so the first day won't be too productive although getting out and walking in the fresh air is helpful after being on a long flight.

Your itinerary is impossible or if not impossible at least completely not enjoyable. But really, with your travel time between the places you want to visit it is impossible in my opinion.

Seven days..how many nights will you have in Italy?

If it was my trip I would spend all of the time in Rome with perhaps a day trip by train which takes about an hour to Orvieto.

Have you already purchased your airline tickets for arriving in Rome and departing from Venice? If so than I would spend time in Rome and take the train to Venice for a few nights.

If not I would fly into Venice, regroup and enjoy Venice and than take the train to Rome and spend some days in Rome. Usually the flights out of Venice are quite early in the morning so departing from Rome is easier consequently.

You ask if your plans are a tight schedule. That doesn't even begin to describe what you are planning.

I hope you rethink your trip. And do get a map of Italy and do research so that you are aware how long it is travel time between the cities you wish you could visit. I think if you do so you will find you need to rethink your time in Italy.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Christine, First, whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a great trip. I second all the advice to slow down a little bit. I can identify with the desire to see all you can in a short amount of time. However, please believe us when we tell you the more moving around you do, the less you will really see anything.

Recently I was so thrilled to hear my young nephew and his wife were going to Italy - glad they are starting their Europe travel young(Early 30's is young to me!) knowing that they would be back. However, I cringed when I heard they would be on the ground for just 6 days, visiting 3 cities. They did not ask my opinion, so I did not offer it - just wished them the best trip ever. If budget or time restrictions only allow a short trip, I would still encourage one to go. With 6 or 7 days I would be inclined to stay in one city and make good use of day trips. You could stay in Rome without stepping one foot out of it for 7 days, and not run out of fascinating things. I'm pretty sure, though that you would be reluctant to trim to just one location. So, again, I second the suggestion of Rome and Venice, or Rome and Florence. Just not all 3 THIS TIME. You will come back. Enjoy every minute.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM

See only two cities (Rome and Venice or Rome and Florence) and take the train instead of driving. You can use the time on the train planning what to see, where to eat, etc. in either Florence or Venice, instead of being behind the wheel and trying to figure out if you've taken the right exit, where to park, etc. Trains take you right into the city centers in Florence and Venice.