Urgent help with Italian Itienary!

Apr 10th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Urgent help with Italian Itienary!

Hi guys,
I was browsing the net for advise on Italy and hit this site by mistake and I am well and truly taken by it.

I am travelling to Italy for the first time with my hubby and was wondering if you can help with our planning.The flights are booked but I have not booked the hotels yet.I would appreciate any help.

Arrive Thurs 17th May 2007 12.00pm Pisa
Book into hotel in Lucca 4 nights
Explore Pisa,Lucca,and CT

Leave 21th for Venice for 3 nights
Explore Venice,Verona and possibly one island..Murano

Leave 24th for Florence spend I night and explore Siena if possible on way to Rome

Spend 2 nights in Rome
Depart Rome 27th May 12.00pm

I am not sure if this is aq good plan but we are not planning to visit all the major attractions.....maybe only 2 at the most in each place.We are riding by train everywhere to enjoy the scenic countryside...do enough driving in the UK.
Please feel free to post and ideas or suggestions and any liks to some 2-3 star hotels....we are on a fairly tight budget.
Thanking you all
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:59 AM
ira

Hi S,

>Venice for 3 nights
Explore Venice,Verona and possibly one island..Murano <

I think that you have too little time in Venice to go to Verona. If you do get board, I suggest Burano over Murano.

>24th for Florence spend I night and explore Siena ....

Either go to Siena for a night or go to Florence for a night, not both.

>Book into hotel in Lucca 4 nights
Explore Pisa,Lucca,and CT

I suggest 2 nights on the CT and add one night to Florence and one to Rome.

You can see the Tower in Pisa in 1/2 day.

If you want relaxation, skip the CT and stay in Lucca.

You'd better get started booking your hotels stat.

Apr 10th, 2007, 05:22 AM

I very much agree with ira.

Although Verona is one of my favs, you should maximize your Venice visit and Burano is a gem! (Not Murano.)

Lucca is quite close to Florence, so consider a daytrip from there, thereby simplifying tour itinerary. You could then stop over in Siena on the way to Rome.

I also think you're not allocating enough time to Rome.
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:33 AM

You are cramming too much into this trip, IMO.

One day is not enough for Florence, especially with Siena thrown in.

I would skip Pisa and the CT, stay in Lucca for three nights, Florence for 3, Venice for 3 and Rome 3 or 4. That is still a lot of moving around...more a drive by than a vacation by my standards but at least enjoyable.
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys,
Yes!Alot crammed in like any first timer...but I do take on board your suggestions.....might skip Florence and add to Venice..but I am not too keen on Rome and it is also very expensive!

Any help with links to any good hotels?Lucca is a must as I have heard lots about it....will 4 nights be ok to explore.How easy is it to do a day trip to CT?
Thanks
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:40 PM
ira

HI S,

> If you do get board,

Did I write that?

>might skip Florence and add to Venice..but I am not too keen on Rome and it is also very expensive!<

I hereby authorize you to SKIP ROME.
It will simplify your itinerary.

We have been to Italy numerous times (mostly Venice) and still can't get enthused about Rome.

If you decide that you have missed something important, it will be there for your next visit.

Apr 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Rome was the location I was least excited about on our trip and the city that I LOVED the most!
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I'm absolutely crazy for Rome, but I second Ira's aurhorization to skip Rome on this trip. Unfortunately, it sounds like your flights are already booked into Pisa and out of Rome. Can the departing flight be changed to either Venice or Pisa?

If so, and with only 8 days (not counting arriving and departing days), I'd suggest only two hotels: Lucca (or that area) and Venice.
Apr 11th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi there,
Thanks again.....you are right..Rome doesn't do it for me....Any good hotels in Lucca or would it be better to stay in Pisa?
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Hi Smiley,

Whatever you decide, do visit Roma at some point in your life. I'll add my experience to the others. On my first trip to Italy, I didn't care if I spent much time in Rome because I had always heard that it was just a big, ugly, dirty, polluted city.

Guess what! I LOVED Roma and was blown away by everything about it. Went back last time for 5 more days, and decided I would love to live there for a few years.

Don't judge a place until you have been there and keep an open mind.

Buon viaggio!
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I just returned 4/8/07 from Milan, Como, CT and Florence. I had one night in Florence and it was not near enough time. I loved Florence and there is so much to see.

Also, we took a day trip to CT. We hiked one of the trails and took the regional train between the other towns. We were very rushed and not able to really enjoy the disticnt character of each town. I think an overnight there is also a great idea. It's so beautiful - you'll want to slow down and enjoy it.

Have a great trip - I love Italy!!
Apr 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM

We stayed here in Venice:
WWW.CORTE1321.COM

I don't know if it fits your budget but we liked it. Nice size rooms, great location with breakfast served in the courtyard every morning.
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM

If you absolutely want to do one of the islands of Venice (though I strongly advise against doing so with merely 3 days for a city that's a whole universe to explore), rather than grim Murano or crazily overcrowded Burano, I'd choose Torcello, which is no doubt the gem of the lagoon.