Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8 adults traveling to Florence & Rome: Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 adults heading from Switzerland to Florence for 4 days then to Rome for 3 days.
Planning not to rent a car, training it all the way. Is it possible to stay in a Villa w/out reneting a car? recomendations?
or is an apartment in Florence proper our best bet? advice on lodging & dining please.
Also if you have not to miss day trips from Florence. Weare considering the following & need to condence the list to NOT TO MISS:
1. Venice
2. Pisa
3. Sienna
4. Assisi
5. Cique Terre

THEN.....
we head to ROME for 3 days. Yes... we know it's a tight schedule. Any recomendations on apartments? dining? etc?

Thank you for the help!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM

I would only consider Siena and Pisa to be appropriate day trips from Florence, and frankly, would not consider either to be "not to miss", although I do like Siena. Venice, Assisi, and Cinque Terre are too far away for day trips.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
sjj

I can't help you about Florence except to say that there's a lot to see in the city, and I'd take it easy on day trips. With regard to Rome, search this forum for Rome Apartments and Rome Restaurants, and look for places in the Center Storico. You only have three days there, and it's best to waste as little time as possible on the bus or metro.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM

If I'm reading your post correctly, after Switzerland you have 7 days in Italy. It's difficult to advise where to spend your time since you do not state what type of activities you most enjoy.

I would stop in Venice for 2 days enroute to Florence, spend 2 days in Florence and then finish up in Rome.

You can easily take trains from Switzerland to Venice to Florence and then to Rome.

If you are thinking about a villa outside Florence or Rome then you would need a car to get to and from the lodging and to sightsee. With the limited time in Italy I would suggest staying in Venice, Florence, and Rome and not going elsewhere.

If you really want to see Siena or Pisa (easily accessed from Florence - train to Pisa and bus to Siena) then I would remove Venice from the itinerary and spend 4 days in Florence with a day each in Pisa or Siena. For my money Venice wins over Pisa and Siena.

There are many threads here on dining and lodging in Italy - do an advanced search at the top of the screen for Rome, Florence, restaurants, apartments, hotels.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Staying in a villa in the countryside is not practical without a car. You might look at a couple of apartments in florence (you'll need 2 for 8 people) if you stay there long enough for a rental. You can get to Pisa and Siena easily by public transit - but 7 days isn't much time for Venice, Florence and Rome - esp hauling 8 people around.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you don't want to rent a car(s) stay in a central part of each city for Florence and Rome. Especially with 8 people, local transportation logistics could become a real bear otherwise.

Venice is too far for a day trip from Florence imo (~3 hours each way on the train) but you could cut your time in Florence and go to Venice after Switzerland. Because, of your 1-5 choices, for me personally Venice is the only "must do" location on that list.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM

A villa, by definition, is generally outside an urban area and would require a car to get to.

I agree that Venice would be my only must-see on your list, but I wouldn't do it as a daytrip as it's too far. So are Assisi and Cinque Terre.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would train to Venice, 2 days, train to Florence 2 days, train to Rome 3 days. I'd use centrall located hotels because it will be more convenience and it's a lot easier than finding apartments for such short stays.

I think "renting a villa" in the countryside is a fine idea. But you'd want a rental car and at least 7 days to do so imo.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM

"A villa, by definition, is generally outside an urban area and would require a car to get to. "

Where do these nonsensical ideas come from? Anybody ever heard of the Villa Borghese?

There are plenty of villas in Firenze, including this one -- although I think it's noisy, but it is near the train station if you are planning lots of day trips.

http://www.villa-azalee.it/

This villa in Florence is one room short of being accommodations for 8, but maybe one couple would rather sleep nearby and the villa could help you find accommodations if you rented the whole space:

http://www.villaantea.com/

If you are want to be in the countryside, amid olive trees and vinyards, but still be close to Florence to sightsee, try Fiesole, just above Firenze. This place might work out very well for you:

http://www.italianvisits.com/tours/t..._di_maiano.htm

But if you stay in Fiesole, you will have to add time to get to the train station to take day trips.

That problem can be solved by staying in a villa in Prato (adjacent to Firenze, by train), like this:

http://www.karenbrown.com/B&B_Guide/...nneto/3976.php

As mentioned above, only Pisa and Siena are enjoyable day trips from Firenze or near Firenze, although with 8 people, you might consider hiring a driver and van and heading to Assisi, if that's very important to you.