Need Help setting an Itinerary for Paris, France to Rome, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st time to Europe, will be in Paris on Sept 27 and must be in Rome for a cruise by 10/4/09, but like to get there a few days before to sightsee.
But would also like to visit Fussen, Germany and possibly England.

How do I manage all this in a few days? What are the best way to travel and were do you recommend I start my travels? Would a Rail pass be the way?

Sorry but as I said 1st timer.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM

It would be hard IMO to make a case for a railpass with your limited time and rather nebulous itinerary - offhand i'd say no but it could depending on how much you want to travel - you could use overnight trains to maximize time over long distances - like from Munich to Rome. For novices pondering the European train system i always refer three great sites with lots of objective useful info and not just the usual pass prices: www.budgeteuropetravel.com (check out their European Planning & Rail Guide online now - itineraries by country, etc.); www.ricksteves.com (you may want to fly to Rome from someplace - this sight also lists budget airlines to contact; and www.seat61.com which gives lots of info on many facets of European train travel.

A Paris to Munich (and Fussen) then thru Switzerland - the high point literally and figuratively to Europe IMO to Italy and Rome could be easy enough with one week. Or go to London for the week and fly to Rome.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

So cut out England all together or fly out a few days earlier might be the best solution. I was planning on flying into Paris staying 2-3 days, going to Fussen and taking the train heading towards Rome for our cruise. Was wanting to ask about how much extra are the sleeping cars or hoteltrains? THanks for your suggestions and please feel free to mention a do able itinerary.

Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Youy will be in Paris, then have 7 free nights, then depart from Rome !!!

This is easy. Spnd 4 nights in Paris, fly to Rome, and spend 3 nights there.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
ira

Hi GS,

>...please feel free to mention a do able itinerary.<

Fly into Paris.

Stay there until 4 days before you cruise leaves.

Fly to Rome.

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Obviously greenseas what's doable is a judgmental thing and folks here tend to apply their personal druthers to all others.

Possible week to Rome from Paris:

1- take overnight train Paris to Munich

2- day trip out to Fussen

3- take train to Interlaken, Switzerland

4- day in the fantastic Jungfrau region up by train from Interlaken

5- day in Interlaken area then hop night train to Rome

6- Rome

7- Rome

Of course them you would not see Paris much - but if your priority is to see Fussen and a bit of Europe between Paris and Rome rather than just airports and perhaps flying over the Alps then opt for the train route.

It all depends on your travel style and not others (though Ira's and Stu's strategy is best if wanting to spend 2-3 days in each Paris and Rome - though there is also the Artesia Night Train that links Paris and Rome nightly - arrive in Rome around 9-10 am the next morning or get off in Florence and spend a day or so there before moving on to Rome.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM

The OP is a first timer - in fact, he mentioned it twice. When I was a first timer, I made the mistake of spending more time traveling than "being there". I remember nothing of my first trip. Three years later, I retraced most of my first trip - this time staying longer in each spot, and reducing the number of "spots".

Is this good advice for every first timer - perhaps not. Is this good advice for the majority of first timers - I would bet my money on yes - even if they say that they want to partake in a "mad dash" in a part of the world that they have never stepped foot in before. Typically, first timers do not know the language, are unfamiliar with the transportation systems, customs, opening & closing hours, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your wise and kind itinerary.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM

With such diverse places you want to visit and so few days a rail pass would be useless. Unless you fly betwen point you won;t have time to see anything. You have a total of 8 days in the ground - not really enough to see 3 places. If you want to see London and Rome (and actually see anything) I would spend 5 days in the first, fly to Rome and spend 3 there.

If you must see Fussen, fly from London to Munich as early as you can, rent a car and drive to Fussen, then back to the airport and fly on to Rome the same day.

If you want to do Paris it wold have to be instead of London - there's no way you can do any more unless you're just checking items off on a list.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
greenseas: If your "<i>Thanks for your wise and kind itinerary.</i>" was re Palenque's plan -- that itinerary is neither easy nor "kind" IMO. He has you running from place to place and not really seeing much of anything along the way except a bit of the Alps Plus you'd have to spend two nights trying to sleep on trains. You would have no time in Paris, and essentially no time in Munich. It would be a lot of running and checking things off a list. I'd listen to StuDudley, ira and nytraveler.

You say you're a "first-timer" and like many others, might fall into the trap of thinking lots of moving fast from place to place is the best way to see a lot. It usually isn't. The distances are long, the logistics are complicated, and one can end up seeing more of trains than of places. . . . .
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Last time we were in the Junfrau in mid September - we never even got a glimps of the Eiger, etc. It was heavy overcast - it even snowed about 3 inches one day. We were in Murren for 4 nights. Good opportunity to do laundry in Interlaken & take a day trip to Bern by train. Neuschwanstein was even a wash-out because of the overcast. We cold not see it from the bridge. Hate to do that much traveling to see something that might be "iffy".

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Green - I understand where you're coming from but pleeeease slow your trip down. You will enjoy it so much more if you don't try to see everything at once. I will ditto Stu...heed his advice!
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Janis - i was only answering the OP's question and not trying to have him conform to some travel model that is my own person style. OP asked for a possible itinerary and one that is normal to me, a veteran traveler.

Possible week to Rome from Paris:

1- take overnight train Paris to Munich

2- day trip out to Fussen

3- take train to Interlaken, Switzerland

4- day in the fantastic Jungfrau region up by train from Interlaken

5- day in Interlaken area then hop night train to Rome

6- Rome

7- Rome

And in this itinerary the OP sees what they said was a priority - Fussen and then spends a few days in the Swiss Alps. And again you extrapolate your feelings about overnight trains on others, who may even find the idea romantic. Janis have you ever taken an overnight train - or a train at all?

Again yes if the OP wants to see Paris and Rome then i'd agree with you - yet OP asked for comments on how to do something else.

I am rather tired of oligarchs here imposing their travel styles on others and not answering the question posed.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Obviously the Fussen desire makes it tough

drop Fussen and then who could say that a few days in Paris then a few days in the Interlaken area and a few days in Rome would not be a viable plan?

Or skip Switzerland - take an overnight train to Munich - spend a few days there - see Fussen and take an overnight train to Rome - spending a few days in Paris to start and Rome at the end. This is not a maniacal thing to do IMO

Night trains are needed because the time is so limited and makes it possible.

And for the first-timer a few days in Paris is enough IMO - yes better to stay weeks and traipse thru every church and museum but seeing a bit of Europe in between Paris and Rome, besides airports is also something to cherish - esp if you are not sure you will be back every again.