Need help please in planning Tuscany trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I are trying to plan a trip in October to Italy.We will have a total of 13 nights. We would like to fly into Rome and spend about 4-5 days there and then rent a car and drive to San Quirico for 3-4 nights and do day trips with this as a base. Then find another town for a base to do other day trips from. Then return our car to Rome and fly out.
I see on this forum there are some very experienced travellers so I am asking what you guys think about this idea and what would be the second town for a base or would you change the whole itinery.
Towns we wanted to see but are not sure if this is too much.
Siena
Pienza,
Montalcino
Maybe Bagno Vignoni-do a hot spring bath
Montepulciano
I am not sure but I think Lucca would be too far.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM

It's certainly doable. I would probably drop Lucca -- yes, it is far. Pienza would be a nice base for visiting this towns.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM

It sounds very good. Don't forget the abbeys of Sant'Antimo, Monte Oliveto Maggiore and San Galgano.

For a second base, you might consider something in the Chianti north of Siena - Radda, Greve, Castellina.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM

MERLOT,
Assuming you have already bought tickets in and out of Rome you might consider going directly to Florence after landing in Rome. From Florence you could daytrip to Lucca and Pisa. Rent a car and drive to your base in southern Tuscany. Then drive to Orvieto and dump the car and train to Rome or drive to Rome and turn in the car. This would put all your Rome days together.
If you want other ideas in southern Tuscany e-mail me and I will send them, they are too long to post.

Henry
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions so far.
I have been doing a little more research and now this is what my itinery is looking like. Please feel free to critique. I have never been to Tuscany so I might be far off on my distances.
Sept 29 arrive Rome
Sleep Rome the 29-30-1-2-
Pick up car on the 3rd and drive to San Quirico and maybe sleep at Palazzo del Capitano for the 3-4-5-6. While there visit:
Pienze
Montalcino(do music and wine tasting
Bagno Vignoni( Maybe try hot springs)
Montepulcino
Avignonesi
Monte Oliveto Maggiore Abbey (How far to get there)
Siena
Then drive on to San Gimignano, sleep there for the 7-8-9-10-Visit
Greve
Sorano
Day Bus to Florence
Etc...Ideas?
Drive directly back to Rome on the 11th to airport.
Maybe sleep close to airport and leave on 12 Oct.
Any ideas? Is this too much.?
I also need ideas of where to sleep in Rome for about 150 Euros for a double..
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:04 AM

You have a good start here but you need to work on that 2nd Tuscany location. San Gim is not really convenient for the Chianti towns, but do not miss Volterra.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:32 AM

May I recommend Locanda di San Francesco in Montepulicano, instead of San Quirico? We absolutely LOVED this place and replaced our original reservations in San Quirico with this (actually our hotel in San Quirico cancelled us a few months before the trip by emailing me that they had double booked our room!). Anyway, Montepulciano is very convenient as a base and we spent 3 days visiting Siena, Montacino and the wineries, Pienza, San Quirico. If you ask for room number 1 at Locanda San Francesco you will absolutely die for the view from the windows. Just a thought....
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Bobthenavigator:\
Thanks , I just looked up Volterra, wow, another beautiful town.
You seem quite knowledgeable about this area, where would you suggest for our 2nd base. We are in our young thirties, would like some peaceful small towns but am afraid that I might have too many. We were going to bus into Florence for one day from Poggibonsi.
Rbnwdin,
That hotel you mention looks wonderful but I am afraid a little too expensive for our budget.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM

I am glad you have Avignonsei on your list. I loved the tour we had there and the winery is beautiful and an easy drive from Pienza or Montepulciano. Is it possible for you to fly into Rome and out of Florence?

We stayed at a homey place in Montepulciano that would fit your budget. The owner, Roberto, is a real character in a good way. La Terrazza di Montepulciano.

I think your trip sounds great and I agree that Lucca is a bit out of the way.

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy,
Yes, it was your report that made me put Avignonesi on my list. We are hoping to do that same tour if available in October.

We cannot fly out of Florence, must go back and fly from Rome.
I am going to have a look at that hotel you mentioned.

My problem seems to be with the second base for my trip?
Do I go into Chianti area and if so where to base.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM

Merlot, remember to contact them in advance to arrange the tour!! Your trip looks wonderful!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM

Merlot,
We are doing a very similar itinerary, also in October. I hate to see you spend the last night at the airport. Last nights should be special! Here's how we're dealing with it.

Then San Gimignano. 2 nights at nice hotel (a treat after self-catering!). The 2nd day we will drive to Cinque Terre and back to San G. Sister has <i>seeing</i> CT at the top of her list, so this isn't negotiable. We look forward to those &quot;magical&quot; nights in San Gim.

Drive from San G to Orvieto, turn in car, train to Rome for 5 nights in an apartment near Pza Navona.

I'm not crazy about driving immediately upon arrival. But given the early hour we can take our time and Tuscany will be so much kinder to jet-lagged bodies as compared to Rome. I love! Rome but it's a hustle/bustle place.

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

JeanneB,
I cannot believe how helpful everyone is on this forum. My Mom told me about it and this is my first thread.

First off, I don't know why I did not think of that, ending our trip in Rome might be the best way to go.

Just looked up your other postings and see you were inquiring about an apt. on a cul de sac. Is that the apt. you rented because it looks great. What are your dates, if not the same as mine then maybe I will also write them to see about any vacancy. Mine would be about Oct.7-12.

Now I am also thinking that I might keep the first leg of my travels about the same except switch the dates around and then spend a few days in Florence instead of Chianti area.

Therefore something like this
Sept 29 arrive Rome
rent car
drive to Montepulciano or San Quirico for a home base-sleep 29-30-1-2-3-. Do all the towns we can without rushing.

Oct 4 - Drop off car and bus to Florence
Spend 4 and 5 -6 sleeping Florence and train or bus to Rome on Oct 7.

Spend 7-8-9-10-11 in Rome and leave the 12th.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM

We're probably going later...arrive around the 19th. I liked that apartment. But we'll be 3 people (possibly 4) and have decided to splurge on a 2BR/2Bath, a lovely apartment at Piazza Fiammeta. It's right next to one of our favorite restaurants.

I'm at my office right now, but I'll post later some of the 2-person apartments I came across. Great deals.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM

BTW, I like your new itinerary. What time do you land in Rome? So many flights arrive after 3pm and we don't want to be driving that late. So it's limited our flight choices somewhat. But US Airways has a reasonbly priced flight from Philly that gets into Rome around 9am....perfetto!

You don't have to bus into Florence. Check the rate if you turn in the car at the Florence airport. Or you could probably drop the car at Chiusi and train to Florence from there. Same for Rome...take the train. It's a pleasant, quick trip from Florence.

Oh, WAIT! I just looked at the calendar and you're picking up the car on Saturday/returning it on Sunday. Saturday pickup at Rome Fiumicino probably won't be a problem. But Sunday return is more difficult. Check the agency for Sunday hours, probably the Florence airport and/or Florence Station will be your best bets. I'm pretty sure all Tuscany offices will be closed on Sunday.

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
bat

Merlot:
I think that your revised itinerary looks great--not too rushed. Another Tuscan base might be Montalcino. Consider the Il Giglio hotel (some rooms with views) and the Palazzina Cesira B &amp; B.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM

Merlot, For your other Tuscany location look at Fattoria Tregole near Castellina and Hotel Pescille just south of San Gim. Both are good value.
I would probably prefer the 2nd location, but you may want the Chianti villages. You will love San Quirico---the village and the hotel.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM

Merlot:

I looked for 2-person apartments I had bookmarked. I had only kept one...it looks very nice.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/ap...afauntain.html
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

bobthenavigator,
Thanks for the name of the two hotels for my 2nd base but if you read the post a few before this, I am thinking now of ony having one base in Tuscany and then spending a few days in Florence before going back to Rome.

Jeanne
Thanks for sending me the apartment listing.

To answer your previous questions, I do not know my flight time yet. I live in Canada but will be in Amsterdam on business for a week, so will be coming directly from there so I would imagine arriving around noon. Then I will be meeting my boyfriend who is coming in from Canada so will probably arrive in early morning.

I think it makes sense to drive into Florence and leave the car at the airport there and then take the train when we are ready to go to Rome.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM

I really like your second itinerary. Leave Rome upon arrival, drive to San Q d'O, and turn in car at Florence airport. Train to Rome. Very nice.

I am not sure I would include Siena in your list of places to see in southern Tuscany. There are too many beautiful small places, and you now have two cities on your list.

While in the San Quirico area, don't miss the Abbey of San Antimo. My list would include Montalcino, Pienza, San Antimo, Bagno Vignoni, and then relax.

I am a Florence lover, and applaud your choice.

Ditto Rome, and staying there the night before your flight makes so much more sense.

Have a truly fabulous trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -